Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Testing light 22's

Hence why some precision enthusiasts are switching to PCP air rifles - frustrated with the lottery of rimfire even with top end rifles and ammo.
    But it might be less interesting...

If anyone has some Eley Tenex boxes about I'd sure appreciate the lot codes so I can see how it compares (with what I have) on the Lot-analyser . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    If anyone has some Eley Tenex boxes about I'd sure appreciate the lot codes so I can see how it compares (with what I have) on the Lot-analyser . . . .
    Sorry but the 2 batches of Tenex I have are too old to feature but from memory they didn't group test in my Target rifle as well as some of the batches of Match that I had at the time so consequently I don't buy much Tenex these days as it is difficult to justify the extra expense. Tenex currently advertised at $260 per 500 (but no stock) & Match $195 per 500 retail. However here are some batches of Match that I have; 1018-06210, 1018-03315, 1017-06262 & 1016-05290.

Batch 1018-03315 is my favorite batch, group testing the best in my rifle which concurs with the factory test.

Also of note, 1016-05290 produced 2 distinctive groups in one of the factory test barrels which might suggest they had problems with that batch test

Tent - just a thought. You may be better to adjust your accuracy challenge. This american 5 groups of 5 shots challenge needs half a box of ammo. As such the challenge is a test of ammunition consistency as much as it is a test of rifle accuracy - which you're actually after.

Comps long finished for me, but as a rimfire hobbyist have still benched 80-100 sporter 22s in recent years. And I'm confident I get a very good picture of rifle performance with three or four consecutive 5 shot groups at 50, and perhaps three or four 3 or 5 shot groups at 100m. This focuses test back more onto rifle - and you - and less on ammo quality.

Some of the very sharp standard barrel everyday hunter rimfires:
    A Marlin 60 DL semiauto: four 5 shot groups at 50m - average 0.29"
    A Marlin 60DLX semiauto: four 5 shot groups at 50m - average 0.39"
    A Weihrauch HW60J in 22 WMR: three groups at 50m - average 0.35"

At 100m - a Norinco Em332 with four 3 shot consecutive groups - average 0.6"

I am very satisfied I got a clear picture of rifle accuracy with just 3-4 groups. More rounds means greater chance of ammo error - the dreaded bang bang pop!

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Tent - just a thought. You may be better to adjust your accuracy challenge. This american 5 groups of 5 shots challenge needs half a box of ammo. As such the challenge is a test of ammunition consistency as much as it is a test of rifle accuracy - which you're actually after.

Comps long finished for me, but as a rimfire hobbyist have still benched 80-100 sporter 22s in recent years. And I'm confident I get a very good picture of rifle performance with three or four consecutive 5 shot groups at 50, and perhaps three or four 3 or 5 shot groups at 100m. This focuses test back more onto rifle - and you - and less on ammo quality.

I am very satisfied I got a clear picture of rifle accuracy with just 3-4 groups. More rounds means greater chance of ammo error - the dreaded bang bang pop!
    Mudgripz I took your advice a few years ago and ditched 10/22 and bought the marlin model 60 deluxe.
    It is an amazingly accurate .22.
    I have the lithgow in bolt action and rate that as well .
    The hornady subs seem to go pretty well in them which is just the cci rebranded.
    I have been shooting them out to 390 m and 277m with surprising results to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I've long been curious as to some of the claims made on the interweb regards .22 rf accuracy. The three or four consecutive five shot groups you mention are a valid test rather than a lot of the cherry picked results one see's mentioned, however a challenge is a challenge and the fact that over 100 rifle/shooter/ammo combinations have achieved the challenge attests to its validity. The wee Annie I am currently shooting follows a very long line of 22's I've shot over the years a that I felt were pretty accurate, and it has produced "some" very good groups. There is no doubt that by the 3 or 4 consecutive groups test it is an accurate rifle - 0.37" by that measure (0.14, 0.73, 0.26) .

However when Eley themselves say that their finest "Tenex" ammo (one particular batch) shot across 4 machine test barrels produces a best 10 shot group of 0.45 and an average of 0.62 (from that barrel, measured to the outside rather than centre to centre in the US benchrest manner) then one realizes there are rifles "claimed" as accurate then there is measured accuracy - and that should be repeatable!

I've long been curious as to some of the claims made on the interweb regards .22 rf accuracy. The three or four consecutive five shot groups you mention are a valid test rather than a lot of the cherry picked results one see's mentioned, however a challenge is a challenge and the fact that over 100 rifle/shooter/ammo combinations have achieved the challenge attests to its validity. The wee Annie I am currently shooting follows a very long line of 22's I've shot over the years a that I felt were pretty accurate, and it has produced "some" very good groups. There is no doubt that by the 3 or 4 consecutive groups test it is an accurate rifle - 0.37" by that measure (0.14, 0.73, 0.26) .

However when Eley themselves say that their finest "Tenex" ammo (one particular batch) shot across 4 machine test barrels produces a best 10 shot group of 0.45 and an average of 0.62 (from that barrel, measured to the outside rather than centre to centre in the US benchrest manner) then one realizes there are rifles "claimed" as accurate then there is measured accuracy - and that should be repeatable!
    You have to shoot inside to get consistent accuracy (tiny groups) from any 22LR.

If you can achieve that outside, they would have been even smaller inside no mater how calm it was outside.

Ask any centrefire benchrest shooter if they like shooting in clam (no wind) there is only one answer to that "I would rather not" or words to that effect ......

Handloaders in Chch has a 100m dugout channel which helps alot with wind. There this morning and while flag still on pole gadgetman shot in my new Marlin 22WMR stainless heavy barrel - group at 0.28". Hmmm..

Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Wind here was very very slight but filled in just a triffle in the 40 minutes I was shooting . . . warmed up then shot two runs with my best ammo and got averages of 0.49 and 0.51 for 5 groups of 5 shots, but still with a couple of the groups over the 0.5" mark, so close but no cigar (yet).

Cattle might have "adjusted" the bipod stop on my bench as it wasn't quite square (only noticed after I finished of course) and there was a bit of tension on my position.

Yup - tried CCI subs and I use them in several 22's, including my Unique 22 semi, which shoots them better than any other hollowpoint I've found. I'm currently using CCI Target (pretty much a solid sub) as a benchmark for testing changes and warming up. The problem with CCI subs is about 1-in-10 to 2-in-10 are out of spec. You'll find that they shoot some really nice groups, but over more than 10 or so rounds you get fliers, which makes shooting 5 groups to count on the same page pretty much impossible
    Handloaders in Chch has a 100m dugout channel which helps alot with wind. There this morning and while flag still on pole gadgetman shot in my new Marlin 22WMR stainless heavy barrel - group at 0.28". Hmmm..
    Nice using gadgetman, how many shots did it take to shoot in? I had an Aussie barrel which came with instructions for how many and the cleaning between.
    The replacement of it! I didn't bother and after 10 shots which were not all holding hands it then dialled in to 1 hole.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Thats good kiwi .. Yes damaged shoulder at the moment so gave gadget the job.

Took about 7-8 rounds really - though he played around with few more. Boresighted scope first - at 50 not 25 which made it quick. Then few clicks and 0.28" group inside the dot. Then left it shot in 1" high . Hornady 30gr VMax drop chart I saw showed point blank at 100m means 0.83" high at 50m so good to go - no holdovers out to 110 or so. Keen to try it.

Has a newish 4-16AO Tasco Worldclass on it - good scope actually for a rimfire. Not too heavy, clear on 16x which many aren't, and 16AO allows very precise quartering of the dot down range. Whole Marlin 982VS stainless setup with heavy barrel, spare mag, 4-16AO etc for $480 all up - mmmmm

Very nice shooting Tent - you're close to achieving your challenge.

Yes mudgripz, have had a couple of the Japanese world-class and the glass was and is good.
    Good price is always pleasing, hope to see a picture in pestie post.
    I meant to say with the replacement barrel I don't know how many the gunsmith shot to test it.
    Yes gadgetman would enjoy plinking away the day if you let him, if i remember he's a little damaged as well.
    Anyway between you both job done.
    Weather has held up the .22 challenge, we had a road trip to Wanaka today and I picked up my anniepaxarms !so keen to see where it's hitting in the next no wind opportunity.
    Thought on the world class, keep the optic ring at the back tight! I had one let go there, from memory it was the same configuration 4-16.the eye piece I could take and shake, it never held zero again.
    KH
    gadgetman likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Will do thanks...