Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Tikka 3 lite 270

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Dougie, the problem is quite simple really

It is not the caliber, it is the fact that you are trying to build a single rifle...

P.S. my vote still goes for 7mm Rem Mag. If you want a single multi-purpose hunting / LR gong gun - that's the ticket IMHO.
    Like I said, in two weeks it'll be "Oh honey, you WERE right!"

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nothing particularly wrong with the .270, wouldn't be my choice for a target rifle though. I had a husqvarna lightweight re-barrelled from 30-06 to .270. It was the first rifle i could shoot under MOA with at 400 yards with. Sold it on to a mate for his father to use.

If i wanted a single, multi-purpose hunting / LR gong gun then i would probably look at the .284 Winchester over the 7mmRemMag. Efficient case design, good availability of top quality reloading components, excellent range of projectiles, still good past 1200m with less powder, less recoil and without the rimmed case... Whatever floats your boat though - all the calibres are a compromise in some way.

.223 will be ok to 600m, i hope it is a 1:9 twist or tighter so you can use the heavier projectiles but the lighter ones will still get there.
    Woody likes this.

Still be a fair bit of recoil from a 284 Win putting a 160 grain out over 2900 fps though Gillie, don't you think?. Probably same recoil as 7mm Rem mag, especially with rifle around 10 lbs or less.

Maybe a 280 Rem / 7* 64 (both 7mm cals)wouldn't recoil so hard but still put out a 139 gn or 150 gn at 2900 plus with good BC and accuracy and capable of getting a 160 grain out there very quick if needed. Sure, it's a slightly heavier medium 30-06 length action, but a cartridge well proven and all components readily available. No issues with bullet lengths or mag fit. Still around 10lbs plus, weight though to prevent the shooter getting knocked around too much.

These cals, 7mm, 308 cal still like barrel lengths over 24 inch to go well at long range ay.

I agree with your alluding to the 600 metre range. Most shooting is well inside that and shooters who seriously believe they will competently, ethically and regularly shoot beyond 600metres and out to 1000 metres as a matter of course are investing in fairly heavy rifles and scopes and having to accept that they will always be toting a lot of weight unless they are very strong and can stand a lot of recoil punishment if they choose to use light rifles.

ebf
    Turning a 7mm RM into either a 284 or 7mm08 is a simple case of adjusting your powder dispenser ...
    7mmsaum, Tuidog and Shearer like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I shot 3 goats yesterday with a .270 at 300m got 2 in one shot even. Nothing wrong with them

Am I going to stop giving people shit for having one. Nope. Easy to get a bite unlike today on the boat I got a snapper that my hook was about the size of the little pricks head. I'll stick to .270 fishing
    Dougie likes this.

Tikka 3 lite 270

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I shot 3 goats yesterday with a .270 at 300m got 2 in one shot even. Nothing wrong with them

Am I going to stop giving people shit for having one. Nope. Easy to get a bite unlike today on the boat I got a snapper that my hook was about the size of the little pricks head. I'll stick to .270 fishing
    So now I have to bash @Gibo on me own?
    270s and people that use them are strange IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    So now I have to bash @Gibo on me own?
    270s and people that use them are strange IMO

I'll let you in on a little secret, when we went to shoot goats that time he brought the 308 even though he had bugger all ammo left for it because he loved it so much more than the poxy .270

Aye @Gibo

You'll make Jack O'Connor roll in his grave!

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Turning a 7mm RM into either a 284 or 7mm08 is a simple case of adjusting your powder dispenser ...
    That's very true
    7mmsaum likes this.

Meh you two bore me. I was looking at a Blaser in 270 yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    double gay

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Double like

Personally as a hunting rifle the T3 lite .270 is hard to beat but if you think your going to shoot targets with it all day I don't like your chances. The recoil is going to beat you or knock the crap out of you because that isn't what they're designed for. Mine doesn't seem to group well with factory ammo so a home load that can be fined tuned to achieve a good MOA @ 100m - 200m but it does group well enough for hunting purposes.I did use the bench rest due to recoil though .2 or 3 shots in the course of a days hunting no problem.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Personally as a hunting rifle the T3 lite .270 is hard to beat but if you think your going to shoot targets with it all day I don't like your chances. The recoil is going to beat you or knock the crap out of you because that isn't what they're designed for. Mine doesn't seem to group well with factory ammo so a home load that can be fined tuned to achieve a good MOA @ 100m - 200m but it does group well enough for hunting purposes.I did use the bench rest due to recoil though .2 or 3 shots in the course of a days hunting no problem.
    I shoot mine all day at gongs. No dramas at all
    Matt2308 and BRADS like this.

ebf
    Yes Gibo, but not everyone has your level of studliness
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute