Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hello New Zealand

Hello New Zealand

Hello everyone, I'm Nick, a 53 year old Englishman living by the sea in Cornwall in the far west of England, UK. I've been a lifelong outsdoorman, fishing and hunting as much as I'm allowed in this vastly

overpopulated and restricted country. So, at last in my life I've managed to save enough money to fulfil a long held ambition to travel to Beautiful New Zealand for 5 weeks next February and early March,

rent a 4x4 and travel the South Island, tramping into the bush, hunting and Fishing. I've been planning this trip for a few months now, but the more I plan the more questions I have, probably quite

trivial sounding to you locals. Questions on DOC and permits as well as ones like, I know shorts are the norm in the New Zealand backcountry, but do you have Ticks, like we do here that spread Lymes disease ?

I'm so glad I found this forum and I hope you won't mind my questions and I hope to gain some useful info to make this the trip of a lifetime. Oh and by the way, I'll be hunting the hard way with a Traditional Recurve bow!

Best wishes,

Nick
    Scouser, Gibo, Shearer and 3 others like this.

There is a couple species of Tick here (I had to google as I have never seen one). I, nor anyone I know has been knowingly bitten or had any known effect from a tick bite during our time in the backcountry. It appears that the only cases of Lyme Disease here have been attributed to people who have come back from a country in which Ticks and Lyme disease were prevalent.

"Do NZ ticks carry Lyme disease?
    Lyme disease is common in parts of the United States (particularly in Massachusetts) and Europe but is reported from many areas of the world. In New Zealand and Australia, cases have only been confirmed in people that have recently travelled from an endemic area. Lyme disease is also called Lyme borreliosis."

Hi Nick,
    Welcome to the forum. There is a lot information on the site and many experienced members. Do your research and have some good gear, avoid being out in the bush alone if you can. There will plenty of members along shortly to give advice as well. The NZ environment can become unforgiving really quick. You will need to either have or hire a PLB. Enjoy the NZ outdoors its fantastic.

MSL
    Spent a few nights it a shithole caravan in Newquay years ago. Nice part of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pengy likes this.

Our Department of Conservation have rules on poundage for bows, I'm not even sure stick bows are covered but I believe minimum draw weight on compounds is 45lb and minimum blade diameter is 1"
    Probably best finding out from them before getting halfway round the world with the wrong bow!

Good onya, good luck, it's a beautiful bit of country, too long since I've been down there. Not much nasties in NZ to kill ya or ruin your hunt.
    Driving in will be the most dangerous thing you do.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, some good points there already, so glad I joined.

HuntBeta, Unfortunately I don't know anyone as mad as me to do this sort of thing here in the UK, I was born in the wrong Country, so I will be travelling solo.

But a Garmin inReach mini will be on me at all times.

best wishes,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-UK View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm Nick, a 53 year old Englishman living by the sea in Cornwall in the far west of England, UK. I've been a lifelong outsdoorman, fishing and hunting as much as I'm allowed in this vastly

overpopulated and restricted country. So, at last in my life I've managed to save enough money to fulfil a long held ambition to travel to Beautiful New Zealand for 5 weeks next February and early March,

rent a 4x4 and travel the South Island, tramping into the bush, hunting and Fishing. I've been planning this trip for a few months now, but the more I plan the more questions I have, probably quite

trivial sounding to you locals. Questions on DOC and permits as well as ones like, I know shorts are the norm in the New Zealand backcountry, but do you have Ticks, like we do here that spread Lymes disease ?

I'm so glad I found this forum and I hope you won't mind my questions and I hope to gain some useful info to make this the trip of a lifetime. Oh and by the way, I'll be hunting the hard way with a Traditional Recurve bow!

Best wishes,

Nick
    From one overpopulated and restricted country to another...

Gday nick
    I'm an Ozzie moving over asap
    Had enough of the new woke AU

Nick get a couple more posts so I an send u a pm
    I've got a block of private land u might like, only recurves allowed

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    From one overpopulated and restricted country to another...
    Hi outlander, we're pushing 70 million now in the UK and Bow Hunting is illegal, it sucks!!

MB
    Hi outlander, we're pushing 70 million now in the UK and Bow Hunting is illegal, it sucks!!
    I think that put things in perspective! That said, I agree with outlander, the direction of travel is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Gday nick
    I'm an Ozzie moving over asap
    Had enough of the new woke AU

Nick get a couple more posts so I an send u a pm
    I've got a block of private land u might like, only recurves allowed
    Hi Sharki, sounds interesting. I know what you mean about the new Woke world.
    outlander likes this.

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of resourses on here to answer you questions.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Hi useraccounts,
    thanks for your answer on Ticks, shorts it is then. Over here ticks are a real problem and I'd never wear shorts when walking through brush. When camping in the Highlands of Scotland it is a nightly ritual to remove the ticks that have climb up my boots, under my trousers, up my legs and attached themselves into my never regions, they do seem to like the worst possible places you can imagine. The unreachable ones in the bum have to wait until I'm home, a job for the missus. I've had literally hundreds bitten me over the years but so far evaded Lymes diesease, hopefully.

Hi useraccounts,
    thanks for your answer on Ticks, shorts it is then. Over here ticks are a real problem and I'd never wear shorts when walking through brush. When camping in the Highlands of Scotland it is a nightly ritual to remove the ticks that have climb up my boots, under my trousers, up my legs and attached themselves into my never regions, they do seem to like the worst possible places you can imagine. The unreachable ones in the bum have to wait until I'm home, a job for the missus. I've had literally hundreds bitten me over the years but so far evaded Lymes diesease, hopefully.
    Well there go my aspirations for visiting the UK. The first one had attach itself to my legs is hook grass.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome aboard
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms