Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hello New Zealand

Welcome @Nick-UK, I'm from the opposite end of the South coast (Kent) but been over here 21 years so another 50and I might be classed as a local. Tramping tracks are everywhere plenty here in the top of the south Island.

A group to look up on Youtube are South Island Rifle Walkers, they have a new series starting today.
    Happy Jack.

@Nick-UK
    Check your settings, can't send u a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    @Nick-UK
    Check your settings, can't send u a pm
    Hi Sharki, many thanks for pointing that out, I'm very backward when it comes to tech, however I think I have managed to enable messages.
    Best wishes
    Nick

Gidday and welcome along @Nick-UK

I reckon if you participate enthusiastically in this forum, when you get here you won't find yourself having to hunt alone for very long
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Gidday and welcome along @Nick-UK

I reckon if you participate enthusiastically in this forum, when you get here you won't find yourself having to hunt alone for very long
    Hi XR500, thanks for that, I've 5 weeks and coming over alone means I can have a no compromise trip, I just want to dive straight into the deep end of the New Zealand way of hunting in the backcountry. I've got my Stoney Creek shorts, Swanndri shirt and Tatonka backpack.
    Pengy, XR500 and Eat Meater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-UK View Post
    Hi XR500, thanks for that, I've 5 weeks and coming over alone means I can have a no compromise trip, I just want to dive straight into the deep end of the New Zealand way of hunting in the backcountry. I've got my Stoney Creek shorts, Swanndri shirt and Tatonka backpack.
    Proper job
    Happy Jack likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-UK View Post
    No reason it can't be done.
    But I think someone's mentioned to you before, please rent or buy an EPIRB.
    There's stories in the news every year about tourists (and locals!) wasting Search and Rescue's time.

Despite not having ticks or other animals trying to kill you over here, the single biggest killer of people in our bush is drowning crossing a river. I believe in the 1800's it was nick named "The New Zealand death". That and our temperatures during bad weather will hover just above zero, so all your gear stays saturated. Not that this should affect you, but there's been many people drowned attempting to stay on schedule with getting out of the hills on Sunday avo to go to work Monday.
    Always have some lightweight spare tucker on board so you can just wait out a swollen river.
    Andygr likes this.

MB
    Yes, the climate and geography are not to be underestimated. A PLB purchased in the UK (or anywhere in the world) will work in NZ.

Hi Guys, thanks for the tips, especially safety tips, I have been doing research on PLB's, probably get a McMurdo as well as an inreach for texting home . Safety is paramount to me as I'm sure I'll want to get home eventually and start earning enough to get straight back. I've found a Bushcraft course run by OENZ out of Christchurch that looks like it has a big emphasise of navigation and river crossing, I think it would be a great way to start the trip and the dates would work for me.
    XR500 and Andygr like this.