Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 3 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By ebf

Thread: Totally new outsider with lots of questions

Totally new outsider with lots of questions

Hello, I'm new not just to this forum but firearms in general, as in I have never even touched one. I do enjoy some YouTube content especially forgotten weapons.

I might be interested in target shooting, but not hunting. I'm not too sure where to get started. I have read the 1983 arms legislation and have a general idea of the licensing process.

I have so many questions about both target shooting as a pastime including about the various types of target shooting, clubs, activities, etc and the licensing and safety side.

I hope I can be pointed in the direction of a person or people who don't mind answering a lot of questions.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome aboard. I am sure there will be someone down there that will pop up shortly with a suggestion for you. Perhaps our learned friend @ebf might have some.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome aboard sorry I'm no target shooter but I'm sure others on here are.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Morning, welcome to the mad house..... Have you got your firearms licence (can get it without touching a firearm but is unusual) if not have a look at the nz police website for the process of getting it. I could be wrong here.... But the 1983 legislation is a little redundant.

Wellington must have a couple of smallbore clubs to get the hang of things and hopefully someone with a bit of grey hair and wrinkles can take you under their wing
    veitnamcam likes this.

MB
    Just my opinion, but I'd start with a good quality 22LR rimfire rifle and subsonic rounds. With a suppressor, they are virtually silent. You can sit there all day and shoot to your hearts content without bothering anyone from a noise perspective. You can learn the basics without having to worry about recoil, that can come later with bigger calibres if you decide to pursue the sport. Rimfire ammo is cheap too. Nothing beats trigger time for improving skills apart from good tuition.
    Pengy, Steve123 and 223nut like this.

ebf
    Too many types of target shooting to start listing here without having a better idea of what exactly you are interested in...

The advice I give most folks starting out is to start the process to get a FAL, and to visit as many clubs of different disciplines to figure out what type of shooting they actually like before spending too much money on a particular type of firearms. Each flavour of shooting used quite specific equipment t, especially if you want to compete at the serious end.

In Welly you can try your hand at :
    Smallbore target
    Fullbore target
    Cowboy action
    IPSC pistol
    Clay's
    Service rifle
    NZDA 3P
    And probably another few I cant recall :-)
    timattalon likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Too many types of target shooting to start listing here without having a better idea of what exactly you are interested in...

The advice I give most folks starting out is to start the process to get a FAL, and to visit as many clubs of different disciplines to figure out what type of shooting they actually like before spending too much money on a particular type of firearms. Each flavour of shooting used quite specific equipment t, especially if you want to compete at the serious end.

In Welly you can try your hand at :
    Smallbore target
    Fullbore target
    Cowboy action
    IPSC pistol
    Clay's
    Service rifle
    NZDA 3P
    And probably another few I cant recall :-)

That a good list of starting points and I would suggest trying them in that order. Small bore clubs and the NZDA are both places ideal for starters. NZDA used to do a lot of rimfire stuff with younger shooters when I started out but that was a long time ago now....They would certainly be worth talking to. Clay bird (shotgun targets...) is also worth looking into and is a lot of fun. These can all be tried without a license (with close supervision and guidance of a license holder)

As for the license, It can take a long time to get now. (paper shuffling at its absolute best / worst.) Getting it is fairly straight forward as long as you have a clean history, and common sense. I would suggest starting the process once you have had a crack at small bore or target shooting to see if it is something you want to continue. One word of warning though...an interest in these sports will usually develop into an expensive and habit forming lifestyle. But it also opens up a whole world of options too......So prepare yourself now..
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Morning, welcome to the mad house..... Have you got your firearms licence (can get it without touching a firearm but is unusual) if not have a look at the nz police website for the process of getting it. I could be wrong here.... But the 1983 legislation is a little redundant.

Wellington must have a couple of smallbore clubs to get the hang of things and hopefully someone with a bit of grey hair and wrinkles can take you under their wing
    No I do not have a license, I was thinking of applying at some point later but it seems that currently its taking up to a year to go through the whole process so possibly sooner rather than later might be an idea. What is redundant about the legislation? I thought it would be important reading, I was referring to the Arms Act 1983 version as at 28 October 2021 which I assumed is current. Is there other legislation I should be familiar with instead?

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    That a good list of starting points and I would suggest trying them in that order. Small bore clubs and the NZDA are both places ideal for starters. NZDA used to do a lot of rimfire stuff with younger shooters when I started out but that was a long time ago now....They would certainly be worth talking to. Clay bird (shotgun targets...) is also worth looking into and is a lot of fun. These can all be tried without a license (with close supervision and guidance of a license holder)

As for the license, It can take a long time to get now. (paper shuffling at its absolute best / worst.) Getting it is fairly straight forward as long as you have a clean history, and common sense. I would suggest starting the process once you have had a crack at small bore or target shooting to see if it is something you want to continue. One word of warning though...an interest in these sports will usually develop into an expensive and habit forming lifestyle. But it also opens up a whole world of options too......So prepare yourself now..
    So from what you say it seems to me the most sensible option is to go to one of the wellington smallbore clubs 'have a go' evenings, and possibly apply for license either after a few visits or perhaps sooner considering its now taking up to a year to go through the process for new license applications.

Quote Originally Posted by walrusbladerunnercat View Post
    No I do not have a license, I was thinking of applying at some point later but it seems that currently its taking up to a year to go through the whole process so possibly sooner rather than later might be an idea. What is redundant about the legislation? I thought it would be important reading, I was referring to the Arms Act 1983 version as at 28 October 2021 which I assumed is current. Is there other legislation I should be familiar with instead?
    You are on the right track. Arms Act 1983, Arms Amendment Act 1992, and Arms Regulations 1992 and associated regulations.

Okay apologies, wasn't sure as to when the latest version was put out and / or the amendments since. Including the recent changes to the transport of firearms.

A years wait is a long time... Some time on the range under the supervision of someone with their license would be a great way to start, hopefully trying a few different rifle set ups along the way. Try all the disciples (I still haven't) before you go down the rabbit hole of which rifle / caliber / scope etc.

Depending on your living arrangements and you are 18 you can always get a airgun and start plinking straight away under the house in the basement, garage and/or backyard if your section and neighbours are compatible. Gives you a taste and practice the basics until when to move on to rimfire/centrefire target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Depending on your living arrangements and you are 18 you can always get a airgun and start plinking straight away under the house in the basement, garage and/or backyard if your section and neighbours are compatible. Gives you a taste and practice the basics until when to move on to rimfire/centrefire target shooting.
    On that point, some of the small bore clubs used to have an air rifle section back when I was doing a bit. I think it was aimed at college aged kids but I do not know if that is still the case.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......