Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Hunting Boots wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    Those Andrew boots make a really good comfy forestry chainsaw boot
    Yea thats what mine are (chainsaw boot) I dont need the chainsaw protection tho who knows one day it may save my foot from the meat axe in the grinder?

I just need a sturdy steel toe boot with ankle and foot support,20 years ago John bulls with exposed steel toe and screwed on commando sole and thick stiff leather was the industry standard(Eng) they were hard as and took about 3 months to fully break in but when they did they were perfectly molded to your foot AND strong/stiff/safe boots.
    Now all the boots the big brand guys push for engineering offer no ankle support from new,soft soles with no stability, thin as soft leather.....they are all a slipper with a steel toe.
    I had had a gutfull of cheapshit crap workboots sold at a premium (usually 300 odd with discount) that dont even last 2 months so looked for hunting/tramping brands that did a safety boot...not much was available in NZ but so far(havent had em long) are very happy with the Andrews (Im running leather spats over the lace area)
    Paddy79 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yea thats what mine are (chainsaw boot) I dont need the chainsaw protection tho who knows one day it may save my foot from the meat axe in the grinder?

I just need a sturdy steel toe boot with ankle and foot support,20 years ago John bulls with exposed steel toe and screwed on commando sole and thick stiff leather was the industry standard(Eng) they were hard as and took about 3 months to fully break in but when they did they were perfectly molded to your foot AND strong/stiff/safe boots.
    Now all the boots the big brand guys push for engineering offer no ankle support from new,soft soles with no stability, thin as soft leather.....they are all a slipper with a steel toe.
    I had had a gutfull of cheapshit crap workboots sold at a premium (usually 300 odd with discount) that dont even last 2 months so looked for hunting/tramping brands that did a safety boot...not much was available in NZ but so far(havent had em long) are very happy with the Andrews (Im running leather spats over the lace area)
    I remember those John Bulls and they were an awesome boot

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    new john bulls are crap lasted 4 months .
    Yep....bought out by Blundstone I believe?

Such a shame because those boots of way back when were great boots and it would be 20 years ago I brought my last pair after that they disappeared, Skellerup tried to duplicate them but they were not as good

Quote Originally Posted by Crispo View Post
    Hey guys, first post on here.
    Im new to hunting and just purchased my new shooter to get out there and get some more experainces.

Im now looking for a pair of boots however budget not big enough to purchase some new quality ones.

Budget is only around $200-$300 max (wife putting foot down) so from the research ive done thats not gana really get me some quality ones.
    Hoping someone may have a quality pair they no longer require for one reason or another.

I know the old motto buy once, cry once but unfortunatly i havnt found the money tree yet. Ha ha

Im about a size 46/47 in andrew boots, usually a us 12/uk 11.

Please flick me a txt on 0223847967 if you have any thinv i could be intrested in.

Cheers in advance
    How strong are your ankles are you going to be using them carrying heavy packs for days on end? I do a lot of light weight run in run out no pack stuff and wear a pair of these https://www.bivouac.co.nz/inov-8-men...e-335-gtx.html they are light grippy provide reasonable support and most of all comfortable
    veitnamcam and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    Such a shame because those boots of way back when were great boots and it would be 20 years ago I brought my last pair after that they disappeared, Skellerup tried to duplicate them but they were not as good
    The upside is now we have access to all these great hunting/tramping boots(tho bloody spendy here) where as most of us used to just wear our steel toes hunting.
    Paddy79 likes this.

The upside is now we have access to all these great hunting/tramping boots(tho bloody spendy here) where as most of us used to just wear our steel toes hunting.
    some of us still doo
    veitnamcam and CATLINS HUNTER like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    some of us still doo
    Some of us are now to fat to walk the hills in steel

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

Some of us are now to fat to walk the hills in steel

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    me again.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ha yea paddy79 i will use them for other scenarios aswell so boots be more what im after however food for thought i suppose.

SiB
    I understand those hunter element boots have a full shank; ie they’re a tad too stiff for quiet bush walking.

My go to work boots are Blundstone, I really like the rubber(?) sole that makes them very quiet. And comfy from day one.

I’m certainly considering looking at their equivalent non-safety toed version as my next pair for hunting

We all have different feet and walking styles. Yes a set of quality gel inners and good clean socks are also vital and can make a mediocre boot much better.

By once, cry once. If you’re general easy on footwear, can be fastidious in applying leather care product (another popular forum debate) you can justify spending a little more, even if you’ve had to save up for a tad longer, because they’ll last longer

My 5c worth

Gri Sport Hikers are bloody good for a cheapish boot.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    do they dry fast after river crossings?
    I have some of them too, will be keeping them for day hunts on easy ground, I never rolled my ankle in them but my ankles were killing me after three days on the tops in them from trying to stay rigid, there's not much support in them
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Ryan youre ankles sound about as strong as a wet noodle

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ryan youre ankles sound about as strong as a wet noodle
    We have actual hills down here bro not those piss poor excuses for hills with cellphone reception all over them you have up there
    veitnamcam, doinit, 7x64 and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.