Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Adrenaline filled meat

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    My old man used to hook a cattlebeast up the the electric fence for a bit if they had got a bit riled up before getting them down. No farking idea if it made a lick of difference to the meat, but he swore by it... although thinking about it, he was never one to let the truth get in the way of a good yarn...
    One of the local homekill outfits shocks the carcass before they start skinning and gutting, they have some sort of setup on the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Some of our friends in China believe that meat tastes better when taken from animals that have died in pain and distress. I'm not going to post details. Horrific.
    Those type of Chinese are, I bet, the same assholes that supported Mao.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Some of our friends in China believe that meat tastes better when taken from animals that have died in pain and distress. I'm not going to post details. Horrific.
    The chines believe all sorts of funny things. My aunty has porcupine stomach contents in her freezer as medicine for something or other.
    yeah_na_missed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    One of the local homekill outfits shocks the carcass before they start skinning and gutting, they have some sort of setup on the truck.
    Ha ha! Maybe there was some truth in it after all!! There you are 223nut, hook your hind up to a leccy fence for a few hours!
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Hang it for an extra week.
    To late... In the fridge already

I feel the situation needs a bit more explanation....

The hind had jumped the fence into the a paddock. I did have a firearm but even suppressed there wasn't a safe shot (well there was but would she cooperate and go in that corner).

Whilst seeing her run and try jump the fence trying to escape she was getting legs Tangled I noticed a funny gait to her, sure enough she had broken a front leg, didn't notice it till I skinned this morning. Lots of bruising all over.

Many will have seen what happens when deer try jumping through fences, often resulting in broken necks.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Wow, only Deer I saw jump a fence was a Buck in full gate running parallel the quad. It kept its pace jumped a standard sheep paddock fence without missing a beat. Graceful would be the way to describe it.

I'm not sure what shocking the carcass might do but perhaps it relaxs the muscles.

I know some say a sheep with one of its balls intact will have a taste they can detect.
    I know people dog little boars , remove their nuts and let them go. They say it's great eating if they pick them up again. I think if you cut it's nuts out it's gonna try harder to avoid capture next time.

Hanging is supposed to help, what I've been told by butchers is it relaxs the meat and also it breaks down to a degree by hanging longer. Something to do with enzymes breaking down. There is nothing wrong with hanging an animal 14 days in a proper coolroom at low temps.

I don't know if any of those things can affect taste and odour if you started with a animal that was stressed or had a testosterone tainted smell.

The first and only deer I butchered was a Spika, wasn't sure I was doing the right thing but some locals said it was a good choice. It was in good condition and they say they are the best eating. Noone complained.

I've given up hanging meat in a tree / safe. Had too many incidents with flys getting in, rained on, dogs get into the meat bag etc...

Hang overnight (in this case 2), skin and break down into legs. If motivated into muscle groups and bagged up (I wasn't this time) or leave whole legs hanging in the meat fridge (I need a bigger one but they are small deer over here) for about 5days then into the freezer.

I'll probably leave this one in whole legs in the fridge for a week, freeze overnight and off to the butcher for sausages.

Backsteaks and eye fillets are already in the kitchen fridge, 1 marinating for dinner tonight

Fencing used to be for deer but it hasn't been maintained for 15+years.... Grew up with a small herd of fallow in the back paddocks, every time we brought them in for the testing there would be one that jumps, head stuck in fence, fall back down and body weight puts there neck out.

Have seen a fallow buck clear full height deer nettting a couple of times

Only really had my first experience with stressed game a few months back. Always been a rifle hunter so animals have gone down quick. However, few months back had my first opportunity to tag along on a proper pig hunt. Dogs got onto a pig but in the country we were in and they kept pushing it further away it probably had been bailed up and stressing for 30mins by the time we finally got to it. About a 90lb sow. The boys wanted to leave it behind but I’m not one to leave meat, so it came out with me. Lost a bunch to bruising from the dogs. Expected the rest to be pretty tough due to stress, but it has to be some of the best meat I’ve had. Ultimately I think it comes down to how you cook/treat the meat afterwards.