Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: fly spray

fly spray

Hi all,

Your take on using fly spray on your uncut, unskinned hanging deer.

I went hunting with a guide in Whanganui park and the guides used flyspray around the neck and inside the deer. (the didn't take the tenderloins out which next time i will definitely do).

What is your take on this? Is it safe? I was damn effective.

Going to fiordland next week for hunting and I bought small can of flyspray i can take in my funny pack but the other hunters are not entirely sure / happy with the prostpect.

Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Hi all,

Your take on using fly spray on your uncut, unskinned hanging deer.

I went hunting with a guide in Whanganui park and the guides used flyspray around the neck and inside the deer. (the didn't take the tenderloins out which next time i will definitely do).

What is your take on this? Is it safe? I was damn effective.

Going to fiordland next week for hunting and I bought small can of flyspray i can take in my funny pack but the other hunters are not entirely sure / happy with the prostpect.

Taco
    should be fine if just confined to spraying on hair but meat safe much bettter - small portable ones work really well - most will take 3-4 deer -or 6-8 hindquarters -just be careful with the zips - some are very light and flimsy and can catch and rip the delicate cloth mesh - and wash carefully in dish washing liquid when home -dry well
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Ned
    Look up some of Shay's vids on YouTube. He uses peppermint oil mixed w water as a good fly repelling spray on carcasses.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Pengy, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Look on the package and see what is in it. It is probably not biodegradable, and likely would not be damage by cooking.

Put it another way, if you had a cooked meal on a plate in front of you, would you spray it with the flyspray in question before consumption?

We all have different ideas on what is acceptable in our diets, and what we take into our bodies. I've seen people inject stuff to get a high without knowing what they were putting into their veins. Not for me. We get enough toxins in our environment and probably in our food and water supply as it is. In the worst case scenario eating the occaisonal cooked maggot will not harm you, but who knows what consuming fly spray might do to you?
    7mmwsm, Pengy, Moa Hunter and 3 others like this.

man you fellas should have seen what went on back in the early meat hunting days!!!!!!!!
    holy smoke some of the carcasses had some ..shall we say interesting characteristics..... fly spray bombed ones would arguably been better than the ones that needed heavy trimming to remove mechanical rice....
    far better to keep away from flies using either meat safe or fly proof bags INSIDE another fly proof area..and by all means use fly spray in area around it... it might also be very good idea at night to kill off mozzies n sandflies before settling in for the evening... a quick spray into tent sure beats the nighttime buzzing n biting.
    Roarless20 and Old_School like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Use a game bag either buy or make your own out of old sheets. Sometimes I used to use some spray on outside of them depending on time of year if flies are bad can be helpful but on gamebag, not animal.

If you get a blood patch on gamebag can be a big attraction, need to make sure no flies sneak inside before tying off. Handy if leaving deer for a while to carry on hunting.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Black pepper does a reasonable job aswell. Aslong as the spray isn't directly sprayed onto the meat you'll be fine
    Micky Duck and turtle like this.

An old trick from some canary breeders I knew, was to plant Marigolds, around the aviaries in which they kept their prize birds. The reason was that Marigolds, apparently are full of Pyrethrin a naturally occurring insecticide.

https://arifgudul.gen.tr/do-marigold...ain-pyrethrin/

vis : Pyrethroids are synthetic insecticides based on natural pyrethrum (pyrethrins); one common example is permethrin. A common formulation of pyrethrin is in preparations containing the synthetic chemical piperonyl butoxide: this has the effect of enhancing the toxicity to insects and speeding the effects when compared with pyrethrins used alone. These formulations are known as synergized pyrethrins.

It is my understanding that the ingredients in Fly Spray are related to or derived from Pyrethroids. One I'm looking at right now has - Tetramethrin, Phenothrin and Allethrin.

As one who sprays Fly Spray directly onto my skin and clothes, when confronted with any number of Mozzies or Sandflies, I am not worried about food, that may get a bit of spray on it.

No doubt someone with a better Chemistry education, will be able to give a more definitive opinion on this.
    turtle likes this.

You'll have worse critters to worry about than flies in fiordland
    Micky Duck, dannyb, XR500 and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    Black pepper does a reasonable job aswell. Aslong as the spray isn't directly sprayed onto the meat you'll be fine
    True,true, back in those naughty meat collecting days many a carcass left it's home territory with pepper and fly spray in every opening, not ti mention those wriggly things holding their parties while in the air
    Last edited by doinit; 19-03-2023 at 11:17 PM.

I carry a can of this..... https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/...l-each--173967
    After gutting the deer I spray the outside of the carcase ( skin on) and give a quick spray inside the body cavity. I figure if its good enough and safe enough to use in food manufacturing its good enough to use on the hill.
    Did an experiment a few years back. Blazing hot summers day, shot a fallow deer and while gutting it the first blow flies were on scene. Dropped the gut bag about a metre away from the deer, sprayed the carcase with Slay and then had a brew and lunch and watched. Blowies would fly to the carcase, do a uturn without landing and go settle on the gut bag......continued hunting for a couple of hours and went back to pick the deer up.....carcase hadnt been blown at all but the gut bag was covered in eggs.

Btw, it is a similar spray that they used to walk down the aisle in aircraft and spray to kill bugs. ( The aircraft spray is called Arandee and differs only in that the propellant is non inflamable)

Quote from the product (Slay)
    • Fully compliant industrial strength insecticide
    • Odourless, hypo allergenic formulations
    • Non residual formulation, micro fine atomisation to enhance kill rate
    • Dry spray, non staining spray
    • Economical large format can
    • Used extensively in food manufacturing and hospitality sites and DHBs throughout New Zealand
    Dundee, rupert and Rn-85 like this.

I saw a can of something in GC labelled as carcass spray , can't remember the name , but was designed to do exactly what you are after , so there are definitely more appropriate sprays , and hopefully safer , for the job than household fly spray.....
    Hell , take a couple of salt guns , have some fun and go postal on their arses.....
    born to hunt - forced to work

I for one don't take everything an authority says at face value. The 'Authorities' can be quite lax about OUR health. When deploying overseas I was issued with one and a half years worth of Doxycycline, to be taken daily to prevent Malaria (18 months on a stiff antibiotic FFS!!!) and concentrated Permethrin to wash all my uniforms in weekly, again to kill mossies.

The only thing I did use that permethrin for was painting the window sills and door surrounds with, to kill any attempting to get into the house. That and wearing long trou and shirts all day every day, despite the weather screaming for T shirt and shorts!

The blowie in the Alpine environment truly is a marvel. There on the scene just after the bullet arrived. What the f@ck did they live on before deer and guns came along????
    Pengy and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    man you fellas should have seen what went on back in the early meat hunting days!!!!!!!!
    holy smoke some of the carcasses had some ..shall we say interesting characteristics..... fly spray bombed ones would arguably been better than the ones that needed heavy trimming to remove mechanical rice....
    far better to keep away from flies using either meat safe or fly proof bags INSIDE another fly proof area..and by all means use fly spray in area around it... it might also be very good idea at night to kill off mozzies n sandflies before settling in for the evening... a quick spray into tent sure beats the nighttime buzzing n biting.
    yes Mickey Duck we used to pick odourless fly spray so old smart nose at the Tiniroto chiller hopefully could not pick it up and refuse to buy carcass