Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Turned my Traeger cold

Turned my Traeger cold

I’ve been wanting to start experimenting with cold smoked cheese, butter, fish etc. but the Traeger only goes down to 75’. Too hot for the job in hand.
    What to do?

I found an old Smokai in the garage and thought about how to McGyver something up.

Made a shelf out of some old kauri planks I got from the Dunedin Railway station. Application of some flame aged them nicely.
    Name:  76FA3BA9-53FE-44BC-8E9D-338F96FC955A.jpeg
Views: 515
Size:  2.54 MB

Made a couple of wee brackets from some aluminum (painted them black to match the grill) and mounted the Smokai.
    Turned a piece of rimu to hold a wee stainless saucer (don’t want hot ash landing on the wooden deck).
    Name:  2C1BB393-FD3C-4FEA-903B-3A4F438A8FAF.jpeg
Views: 519
Size:  3.19 MB

Bought a bit of food grade silicone tube which attaches to the Smokai, and I shove it up the drain hole to fill the smoker.
    Name:  AC26A6D0-7521-489B-BABC-CDB999E48A8B.jpeg
Views: 504
Size:  2.69 MB
    End result a nice cool smoke.
    Let the games begin.
    I’ll let you know how it goes

Nice!!

I did the same with a Bradley (different connections, but same concept)

A tip for smoking cheese, is 1kg block, cut to 1/4,and put each piece on a small bit of baking paper....

Oh and another, keep the smoker out of the sun. It's amazing how much heat ends up inside, just from the sun.

Oh and vac pack finished cheese, and leave in fridge for Atleast a month before trying. (any earlier and it tastes like Ash) I just opened one from Dec 2021, and it was fantastic!

Oh and put some whole raw eggs in to. Leave for maybe a week, 2 max then use in side. Tastes like they were cooked on a wood fire.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

If you want to insulate any heat from the deck I know a guy who made a fire-insulation cushion (for his BBQ) by getting about 80 pieces of fist-sized paua off the beach then "sewing" them together in a double-layer cushion using chicken wire sheet with galv steel wire threaded around the edges
    It's light and insulates any heat from hitting the wooden deck - it worked pretty well
    Boner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Nice!!

I did the same with a Bradley (different connections, but same concept)

A tip for smoking cheese, is 1kg block, cut to 1/4,and put each piece on a small bit of baking paper....

Oh and another, keep the smoker out of the sun. It's amazing how much heat ends up inside, just from the sun.

Oh and vac pack finished cheese, and leave in fridge for Atleast a month before trying. (any earlier and it tastes like Ash) I just opened one from Dec 2021, and it was fantastic!

Oh and put some whole raw eggs in to. Leave for maybe a week, 2 max then use in side. Tastes like they were cooked on a wood fire.
    Great tips thanks for that.
    1kg of cheese ! Might need to sell a kidney
    Beaker and XR500 like this.

Another tip is to buy just dirty old plain vanilla Colby, it will transform into something wondrous. Always smoke more than you need, it makes very appreciated xmas gifts,and little thank you presents.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Another tip is to buy just dirty old plain vanilla Colby, it will transform into something wondrous. Always smoke more than you need, it makes very appreciated xmas gifts,and little thank you presents.
    Plus one for this.

I do about 4-5kgs at a go. Buy whatever colby when on special (I remember those days.....)
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

My cold smoker is an old soldering iron and a stainless tube of sawdust, gerry (jury) on the side of my cabinet smoker.

Put in top facing down, plug in and leave it alone. Works ok I guess but I'd love to have a proper set up with a Smokai or similar.

Bought a block of bland old Colby.
    Oak and pear chips.
    Did 4x 250g blocks at 2, 2.5, 3 & 3.5 hours.
    In the fridge for 3 weeks.
    Watch this space
    Beaker and CBH Australia like this.

@Boner you tried that cheese yet?

Nah mate, at least another couple of weeks.
    Will report back
    Beaker likes this.

After @Beaker hit me up, I thought, fuk it, let’s give it a try.
    So, the wife and i had a bit of each.

Verdict:
    2 hours - wow Smokey as and quite harsh, as this was the first one we tried, I thought “I have just wasted a block of cheese”
    2.5 hours - hmm, still really smokey, but not so acidic. Might work ok on burgers.
    3 hours - by a mile our favourite, well balanced smokiness and made the cheese feel quite silky and smooth on the pallet.
    3.5 hours - not too much difference between 3 hours. I wonder if the cheese has absorbed as much smoke as it can.

So that was Oak and pear.
    Will try another wood when we have consumed this batch.
    Beaker likes this.

cant quite place the taste.................Name:  ezgif-3-35d8a34257.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  94.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    After @Beaker hit me up, I thought, fuk it, let’s give it a try.
    So, the wife and i had a bit of each.

Verdict:
    2 hours - wow Smokey as and quite harsh, as this was the first one we tried, I thought “I have just wasted a block of cheese”
    2.5 hours - hmm, still really smokey, but not so acidic. Might work ok on burgers.
    3 hours - by a mile our favourite, well balanced smokiness and made the cheese feel quite silky and smooth on the pallet.
    3.5 hours - not too much difference between 3 hours. I wonder if the cheese has absorbed as much smoke as it can.

So that was Oak and pear.
    Will try another wood when we have consumed this batch.
    Interesting. The last lot I did, I think was about 2 hours.
    Next time, I'll do some alot longer to.

I'd suggest seal the ones you don't like and leave them for a couple of months and try it again.

Interesting. The last lot I did, I think was about 2 hours.
    Next time, I'll do some alot longer to.

I'd suggest seal the ones you don't like and leave them for a couple of months and try it again.
    Yeah that’s what I thought too.
    Put some of the 2.5 hour on venison burgers with Caramelised onions. Good god it was awesome
    Beaker likes this.