Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How to prepare and eat possum?

How to prepare and eat possum?

Any tips or recipes? Keen to give it a whirl

Make sure the roadkill is somewhat fresh.

Banned
    Meat is meat. Cook as you would a rabbit. Casserole in oven or crockpot it.
    Maybe coat pieces in breadcrumbs then deep fry. Only limited by your imagination
    Ned, Brad S and 11mms like this.

My ol'mate of many years ago as a possum trapper used to collect the fat scrapings from his skins and put them in a sock which was nailed close to the fire in his hut, under the sock he had a baked bean can to catch the fat as it dripped through...he used this fat for all his cooking...I can tell you that eggs cooked in possum fat have a flavour of their own....he may well have cooked possum, but if he did he never talked bout it.

Hope it was a clean sock, or I can imagine it would've tasted very unique
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rabbit-au-vin

Yum - I did a possum like this, very good! - use a younger possum not an old manky one.

I'd eat a young possum over a buck any day. Young possums are not too bad. Quite light meat. Big bucks are fatter, redder meat and more possumy smelling. Haven't eaten a buck though so maybe they taste better than they smell
    Brad S likes this.

I asked my local Vietnamese who deals in all sorts of stuff for Asians as in balut and deer tails and stag balls if there was any market for possums...his reply was that "only those bloody Koreans eat that shit"...If the Vietnamese wont eat it I don't think anyone would/should.

Very, very good tucker. A possum eats the best. Took my daughter in to the Urewera for a gap year some years ago. Before TUT. We stayed almost a year, eating possum on average, about four times a week. Slow cooked in a camp oven, oven covered in coals, brilliant. Meat's very oily but you won't notice unless you pressure cook it. friend of mine used to do just that. He would pressure cook over a flame, but only for a short while so he didn't blast the oil out. Then would flour, egg and crumb. Dropped into deep fryer, KFC, like you wouldn't believe.

When you clean a possum you will notice there's very little smell, unlike a rabbit which honk!

Above advice re bucks is good. Have eaten them though when had too. When skinning, always, always get rid of the tail glands as soon as possible.

Give them a go. You won't regret it.
    Micky Duck and 11mms like this.

The most important thing is to be very clean in butchering the possum. The cooked possum has a very mild flavour, like veal. I like a possum pie with cranberry sauce. Any 'possum' taste is due to poor skills at butchering. Of if in the bush, set a trap at night, get up when I get woken by the rattling chain. Kill the possum, skin it, cut up, and in the morning, wrap the pieces of possum in aluminium foil and roast in the embers of the cup of tea fire. Tastes excellent.
    RugerM77 and 11mms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    My ol'mate of many years ago as a possum trapper used to collect the fat scrapings from his skins and put them in a sock which was nailed close to the fire in his hut, under the sock he had a baked bean can to catch the fat as it dripped through...he used this fat for all his cooking...I can tell you that eggs cooked in possum fat have a flavour of their own....he may well have cooked possum, but if he did he never talked bout it.
    Probley didnt live long enough to talk about it.
    CATLINS HUNTER likes this.

Check out "Keeping it Wild" videos. Shay has eaten a bit of possum.
    Trout, Scouser, janleroux and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    Check out "Keeping it Wild" videos. Shay has eaten a bit of possum.
    Yes that man makes excellent videos. I think he's also not a fussy eater - he even has a video of himself eating a mouse, which had been crushed and burnt to a state he called "like a Crunchy chicken nugget" if i remember right hahahahaha

I dont trust his judgement about what tastes nice!
    Trout likes this.

MB
    Respect for anyone that eats possum. I'm all about the wild harvest (we don't buy meat), but possum is a step too far for me!

Yes. He is definitely not fussy lol, deer eyeballs etc . . .But he rates possum as the best wild meat he has eaten.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 23-11-2023 at 10:09 PM.