Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How to prepare and eat possum?

I remember when Kiwis wouldn't eat Kahawai or Trevalley, let alone raw fish, now we eat them all and raw in Sushi and Sashimi.

As posted above, Possum eats the best stuff, new shoots berries etc. So for me, in order of preference. Hare Possum Rabbit. Deer, Pig.

What does Alpaca taste like? Llama?

I'm reminded of the Sam Neil movie "Rams" wherein the sure way to raise an Alpaca farmer's ire, is to call them Llamas.

they are not bad eating cut the oil glands at base of tail out carefully and dont get that oil on meat cut into pieces and soak in salty water in fridge overnight then cook same as chicken
    rupert and 11mms like this.

very early in my nursing career inursed an old roadman from south wqestland .he always said a fresh roadkill jacko casseroled slowly over the coals was bloody good tucker boy.furry huas only eat the best ,thats why they taste goo. dont eat an old buck whose been rooting all night or youll stink to high heaven for weeks. he also made a habit of jumping inot any cree3k he came across -wash me clothes and me hair at the same time lad!
    those bloody anal glands FMRwhen skinning nicked em a couple of times .cripes riper than a rotting cadavers breath!
    Maca49 and RugerM77 like this.

headshoot or trap and dong...skin or pluck....gut possum making sure to remove ALL the poohs n wees bits....chop off head,chop off all fout feet making sure to leave no claws on body...walk over to dog kennel,insert possum..walk away.... LOL
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    headshoot or trap and dong...skin or pluck....gut possum making sure to remove ALL the poohs n wees bits....chop off head,chop off all fout feet making sure to leave no claws on body...walk over to dog kennel,insert possum..walk away.... LOL
    I agree with me old mate Mickey Duck -they are damn good dog tucker and I know the man knows what he is talking about because he states remove claws before feeding to dog - that's a must feeding coons to dogs and your dog will get a shine from the possum oil - - yes the old possum trappers lived on them but if I took a number of you and fed you the diet some of those old trappers lived on you would not recover and would need medical treatment for some serious guts problems - and your fundamental ring gear would get e thrashing - give possum a go but having worked in the bush for over 50 years if they were any good we would have been in like robbers dogs but nah nah nah -they are just really good dog tucker - now wild shot other than deer and the very best wild pig - now thats the best wild meat NZ has - closely followed by wild sheep - but then try hare - totally under rated and really nice done properly -- but possum = labrador fodder
    kristopher and Micky Duck like this.

The legs are good stewed. leave the claw on and hang on side of pot which makes it easier to fish them out to check if they are cooked.
    Chur Bay likes this.

I can imagine someone walking in a you were cooking a possum with its claw out. they would probably think you were eating a cat.
    Micky Duck and Billbob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    I. Haven't eaten a buck though so maybe they taste better than they smell
    Nope!
    kristopher likes this.
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

Quote Originally Posted by 11mms View Post
    Nope!
    yes they are edible but really they are dog tucker and really good dog tucker at that

Possum is fine meat, the best I know is slow cook, when I was in Auckland, I used to cook them often since I got lots of supply, and the dish I made could sell crazy price in China. Here is how I do, 1st chop them into inch size and put them into cold water for at least 30 mins to get rid of bloods and gamy smell, then you will need a bigger pot, the thicker the better, clay pot, cast iron...boil water and put those chops in for few mins and get it out. Ingredients, pork is essential, the rest is onions, ginger and garlic and strong Chinese alcohol.

Yeah, I should open an restaurant.
    kristopher likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Great prep and cooking tips especially if you’re in a survival situation and I know things are a bit tough out there for some but there’s a mountain of better tucker out there and a million recipes to explore before I’d consider dining on a tree rat.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”