Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: 3D Printing

I've designed a few surpresors over the years and made most from Aluminium or Ally with a carbon fibre outer tube, They all work ok upto 7mm08. The last few years I've had some printed, the .22lr ones are quieter in plastic and I've got some still to test on larger calibers. Happy to share the designs if anyone wants to compare my designs & results to avoid the same mistakes.
    300CALMAN and makka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Just a reminder that certain essential firearms parts require a gun dealer licence to be manufactured if I remember well.
    Have fun otherwise.
    Which ones? Genuine question.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I ll take a picture of the list tomorrow. The list is on the arms act.

Name:  2C61861C-668E-4A0C-B1BE-CC999C6E0182.jpeg
Views: 426
Size:  1.83 MB

You will have to double check but to my knowledge that is the list of parts requiring
    A licence to own. If you intend to manufacture to sell, you need a dealer ‘s licence.

http://https://www.printables.com/model/138307-labradar-sight/files
    I'm after one of these if anyone is making them

jdd
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    You will have to double check but to my knowledge that is the list of parts requiring
    A licence to own. If you intend to manufacture to sell, you need a dealer ‘s licence.

Better call 105 to report warehouse stationery selling magazine couplers

Name:  Sellotape.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  29.0 KB
    madmaori, Ozzy and 300CALMAN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    I've designed a few surpresors over the years and made most from Aluminium or Ally with a carbon fibre outer tube, They all work ok upto 7mm08. The last few years I've had some printed, the .22lr ones are quieter in plastic and I've got some still to test on larger calibers. Happy to share the designs if anyone wants to compare my designs & results to avoid the same mistakes.
    I'd be keen to see the designs, never even thought about using the printer to make one, although I only have a resin printer, not a normal FDM printer.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Designing them would require some cad but yes that would be a great idea.
    The CAD is the fun part, silly me decided to do all the checkering and logo!
    Name:  20220725_202133.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  6.16 MB
    Name:  20220726_212638.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  3.69 MB
    Name:  20220803_211204.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  3.84 MB
    Cyclops, xyon, janleroux and 2 others like this.

I've been playing about with my 3d printer and have made magazine designs for the Howa Mini Action,
    I've managed to reduce the size of the 5 round magazine from about 85mm down to 65mm so now it doesn't stick out so far under the action,
    after a dozen design revisions and prints I've got it to where it fits and feeds as good as a factory howa,
    and I've even eliminated a problem I had with the bolt running into the back of the factory mags preventing feeding when the factory magazine was pushed in too far,

i'm not a dealer so in keeping with the law, I'm not selling or otherwise supplying these so if interested don't ask only made them for myself.

here's a few photos and a link to more for those that are interested in the build, with some photos of the factory howa mini mags thrown in for comparison.
    printer was a Ender 3 pro V2, with PLA filament cost coming in at $2.57 for the mag base and follower, springs came from aliexpress, 1.3mm x 8mm x 51mm x 155mm costing a hefty $11.17, would really have me questioning how the factory mags cost about $90 to buy but hey that's capitalism we take the bad with the good,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cKzF1NoxnFMg2KDA8
    Name:  20220919_235120.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  4.54 MB
    Name:  20220919_233305.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  1.91 MB
    Name:  20220919_234728.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  1.64 MB
    Name:  20220919_234815.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  1.59 MB
    Name:  20220919_233314.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  1.26 MB

I always laugh when someone says I built it for this or that price, no business rates or rent, electric , wages, holiday cover, pensions, public liability insurance, the list goes on, but a nice piece of work.
    mikee, OBRIEN and makka like this.

Lightweight bag rider (L shaped) that can be secured between the butstock and recoil pad would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEARONZ View Post
    Lightweight bag rider (L shaped) that can be secured between the butstock and recoil pad would be good.
    That would be pretty simple and straightforward

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I always laugh when someone says I built it for this or that price, no business rates or rent, electric , wages, holiday cover, pensions, public liability insurance, the list goes on, but a nice piece of work.
    Thats what it cost him to make. If your doing it as a hobby you dont charge yourself for your time. You are already paying for electricity and hobbyists dont get a holiday.

The amount of time I have spent tinkering around with stuff that if I spent 10% of that time doing OT at work and just bought the item I would be ahead. But I enjoy making things for myself and learning new skills, so that has value in itself.

If your trying to sell something for profit, different story, but thats not the case here.
    300CALMAN, XR500 and OBRIEN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OBRIEN View Post
    I've been playing about with my 3d printer and have made magazine designs for the Howa Mini Action,
    I've managed to reduce the size of the 5 round magazine from about 85mm down to 65mm so now it doesn't stick out so far under the action,
    after a dozen design revisions and prints I've got it to where it fits and feeds as good as a factory howa,
    and I've even eliminated a problem I had with the bolt running into the back of the factory mags preventing feeding when the factory magazine was pushed in too far,

i'm not a dealer so in keeping with the law, I'm not selling or otherwise supplying these so if interested don't ask only made them for myself.

here's a few photos and a link to more for those that are interested in the build, with some photos of the factory howa mini mags thrown in for comparison.
    printer was a Ender 3 pro V2, with PLA filament cost coming in at $2.57 for the mag base and follower, springs came from aliexpress, 1.3mm x 8mm x 51mm x 155mm costing a hefty $11.17, would really have me questioning how the factory mags cost about $90 to buy but hey that's capitalism we take the bad with the good,
    That looks awesome, well done.
    Do you have issues with the feed lips bulging out when fully loaded? I never got 10rd Howa Mini mags to work with anything but expensive PETG carbon filament because of that issue. I guess there is a lot less pressure in a 5rd magazine.
    OBRIEN likes this.

What software are you guys drawing with, I have used Solidworks before but only at a simple level and Fusion 360 for some simple stuff too.