Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: 3D Printing

I use solidworks for almost everything. Fusion is a good option as well, I'm just a lot more experienced with solidworks, so that's what I use.
    I like solidworks for firearm design as the advanced mating system for assemblies makes simulating lots of moving parts working together relatively simple. Learning surface modeling really opens it up to fluid shapes like gunstocks as well, but it's amazing what you can achieve with just solid modeling.

Good thing about both is the amount of high quality training there is for free on YouTube and other places.

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post
    That looks awesome, well done.
    Do you have issues with the feed lips bulging out when fully loaded? I never got 10rd Howa Mini mags to work with anything but expensive PETG carbon filament because of that issue. I guess there is a lot less pressure in a 5rd magazine.
    I did on some of my first attempts when I tried to simply recreate the factory mag dimensions, I think the ABS they use is just more ridged, but I beefed up the side walls and increased to thickness of the feed lips themselves and that solved that problem, to be honest the springs I have are far heavier and longer than they need to be and still its not a problem any more, I've also made functioning 10 round version but prefer the way the 5 round sits.
    Name:  3D Print Mag.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  1.18 MB
    Name:  3D Print Mag1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  53.5 KB
    300CALMAN and SixtyTen like this.

Very nice. I was trying to keep the 10rnd mags the same length as the factory ones. I thickened the side walls and feed lips but was limited by length to how far I could go with this. I guess the filament I was using was not great. I tried PLA and ABS, which I print most of my functional parts from and neither of them worked. I also tried some cheap carbon PETG from marvel 3D and that was rubbish. Ended up with some higher end carbon PETG and that starts to get close to the injection molded glass filled ABS that most magazines seem to made from. It's somewhere around $90-$100/kg though.

I have some some "ABS like" resin coming for my printer, I wonder how they would go with that?
    @Happy Jack, to answer your question, I use Fusion360
    Happy Jack likes this.

Would you be able to 3d print me an extended body for a Howa Mini magazine?

I would like to have a 10 shot magazine for a Grendel/ARC build on Howa mini action.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I always laugh when someone says I built it for this or that price, no business rates or rent, electric , wages, holiday cover, pensions, public liability insurance, the list goes on, but a nice piece of work.
    Too true, most of my projects use offcuts and come at at a minimal cost. but if I was paying for my time and the use of the bosses workshop it'll cost thousands for my budget surpressors. Great fun & I always learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Just a reminder that certain essential firearms parts require a gun dealer licence to be manufactured if I remember well.
    Have fun otherwise.
    This is not true at all,

Anyone can make a firearm for personal use with any means they have, however if you are making by way of business or with the intend to sell you require a dealers license.

Provided you have the correct category license you can build what ever you want, if you have B or C cat you can build a pistol, a cat you can build a shotgun or rifle.

Etc etc

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
    300CALMAN and OBRIEN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post

I would like to have a 10 shot magazine for a Grendel/ARC build on Howa mini action.
    Sorry, as mentioned I'm not manufacturing these for anyone, not dealer licensed so it would be a crime to manufacture these to sell or otherwise supply, I will not supply the CAD, STL or G-code files associated either.
    I believe though its not illegal supplying the plans, with Magazines being a controlled part I'm going to abide by the spirit of the law and not just the letter of it and not give these out to the general public.
    makka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post

Just download the FOSSCAD repo, you'll find mags for a whole bunch of stuff, just Google fosscad mega pack,

Also check out ctrl+Pew website. Also check out AWCY ( are we cool yet) these guys all have mags and parts for download, if you have no luck I'll see if I still have my Step files and stls for the 15 round howa mini mag, they works really well, you'll need to either extend the follower when you print to limit to 10 rounds or in CAD you can shorten the model then print to limit to 10 rounds,

Personally I like the normal size body so I would make it with an extended follower, and a couple notches printed into the main body to prevent more than 10 rounds,

SixtyTen likes this.

You only need a D if you are selling for profit or return/ distributing for incentive or reward

You make anything you like for yourself, as long as you don’t actively distribute it
    ecw23able likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Billymavs View Post
    You only need a D if you are selling for profit or return/ distributing for incentive or reward

You make anything you like for yourself, as long as you don’t actively distribute it
    that's not how the legislation is written.
    A person commits an offence if the person does not hold a dealer’s licence, but intentionally manufactures for sale, transfer, rental, or other supply a part of a firearm,

Name:  Manufacture of part with out dealer licence.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  177.4 KB
    Name:  Part Meaning.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  80.1 KB
    makka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OBRIEN View Post
    that's not how the legislation is written.
    A person commits an offence if the person does not hold a dealer’s licence, but intentionally manufactures for sale, transfer, rental, or other supply a part of a firearm,

Attachment 208122
    Attachment 208123
    It literally says right there in front of you it's only an offense if you manufacture those thing for those purposes without a dealers license,

Personal use is fine anyone can make anything they want for personal use without a dealers license,

300CALMAN and Moa Hunter like this.

Came across this and thought it would be a good thing to think about for anyone into 3d printing.

Name:  315780800_10158657422161244_8103283315777351290_n.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  183.0 KB
    Husky1600 and SixtyTen like this.