Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: 9mm and rimfire bolt action

Quote Originally Posted by xring View Post
    hey guys, one more image of the completed project. reading thru the new laws, I am not sure whether I am not complying with the rules. but i will wait and hand in stuff at the right time.
    appreciated all comments!!! as I am starting a company to make these rifles, please guys, you can give me any ideas so I can put things into practice.
    web site is coming out of the oven, so still under construction:

http://www.marshalprecision.com

Attachment 108724
    You need to take drastic evasive action mate, with those pistol magazines as even if you put in a shortened 10 round magazine, it can accept a larger magazine.

You could make one with a magazine well that takes a squared off toe double stack 10 round magazine, the mag to be dropped in from the top and therefore not able to be expanded.

A 9mm double stack magazine can be made from a .223 magazine as the bases/rims are similar.

Option is to change mags by dropping them out by pressing the release and turning the gun upside down and then dropping in another full mag -- or just top them up with a stripper clip. The latter is preferable IMHO.

It is retro cool to feed with stripper clips, like the Broomhandle Mauser. Again, you can use .223 stripper clips for 9x19mm stripper clips.

Name:  0ac69e49e9ad88b953038d3a5463c2c5.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  64.5 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Its a bolt action , the mag is fine , whats maybe not is the AR15 pistol grip & stock ,

Grip and stock should be fine under the new law on a non prohibited firearm.

I'll have a bit of buyback money soon to splash on things that go bang (or pfffft), I'm keen for one.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Guys, been asking this around. Quite weird, naive and stupid question, but I will ask it. How much would you guys expect to pay for one of these rifles? I mean, a fair price.
    Rifles will have 1x10 twist Vulcan barrels, 6061 Alu stock (620 grams), custom action, front bolt and back bolt, nitriding, lapped lugs, trued from factory (not that it matters for hunting
    but I want to assure straightness, concentricity, parallelism of mating/not mating parts), 1911 mag and mag release/catch, adjustable firing pin fall (cocking on close), mag housing, AR stocks/grip (if Govt don't screw things up, hopefully) and ou choose trigger.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    Cheers
    MFG

Without stock and grip, if you got change from $2k, you'd be giggling with glee.

Quote Originally Posted by xring View Post

Guys, been asking this around. Quite weird, naive and stupid question, but I will ask it. How much would you guys expect to pay for one of these rifles? I mean, a fair price.
    Rifles will have 1x10 twist Vulcan barrels, 6061 Alu stock (620 grams), custom action, front bolt and back bolt, nitriding, lapped lugs, trued from factory (not that it matters for hunting
    but I want to assure straightness, concentricity, parallelism of mating/not mating parts), 1911 mag and mag release/catch, adjustable firing pin fall (cocking on close), mag housing, AR stocks/grip (if Govt don't screw things up, hopefully) and ou choose trigger.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    Cheers
    MFG
    Are Vulcan making barrels again?

For a total rifle setup that would be like a DeLisle but lighter (Stock,grip,suppressor,barrelled action) in 45ACP I would go as high as $2500-@2700

If you have to change your stock type, I wonder if a 3d printed stock set would be a good option to keep design and production costs down and fast turn-around on a new part. Was handling some fabbed up camera parts made out of 3d printed carbon fiber (maybe fiberglass??) and they were a good mix of cheap, lightweight, good surface finish and stupidly strong (short ice lolly sized piece couldn't be broken by hand).

Depending on how fast/detailed you want it made, and your cost point you can leave it hollow inside for storage or honeycomb it for additional strength... might not need it though. The parts I handled had 3d printed 2mm thread printed into blind holes, so it's capable of very fine finish if you need it... should be able to change the thread diameter for the butt stock and have the threads printed in the stock itself, or just press and pin a threaded steel head into the end. Given the material I would think 3d printed thread at the diameter your gun uses would be fine as long as it wasn't crossthreaded/overtightened/taken on and off too frequently. It's certainly tougher material than the polymer most gun stocks are made out of these days. Given the cost of injection molding for a new stock design/limited marke, it might be a good option?
    Last edited by canross; 13-04-2019 at 07:14 PM.

2K seems reasonable. Should be fine with stock and grip being that it is on a non-prohibited firearm.

Banned
    $2500-3000

You have to get some recognition this is a domestically built rifle. People need to get behind these things. We need "buy New Zealand made" and we need a domestic firearms industry, with export, if we are to hang on to our licenses long term. This is the one project, of all the stuff people have talked about, which gives us the most protection.

There will be some who are hard nosed and who will balk at that price for what is essentially a plinking rifle first and foremost, but lets be realistic. Good plinking rifles with abundant cheap ammo like 9mm are getting very hard to come by. Something comfy that has adjustable stock like ARs did is also hard to come by for a big guy. You don't need to sell one to everyone.

If I get buyback money it will be going on anything NZ made first.

I would give your early purchasers some recognition they are supporters of the project.
    Tommy likes this.

MSL
    What’s the all up weight and length

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Its a bolt action , the mag is fine , whats maybe not is the AR15 pistol grip & stock ,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Grip and stock should be fine under the new law on a non prohibited firearm.

Pistol grip and stock are easy to sort if you are making them. Just make them so they do not fit AR stuff and you are fine. IE will only fit this rifle and no others. (perhaps narrow down the fitting oints so AR stuff needs a spacer to fit, but you grip would be too narrow to fir AR and it would no longer be restricted due to not fitting restricted firearms therefore could not be a restricted part)

Magazine is only allowed to hold 10 rounds or less. You would have to check to see if the law means must not be capable of holding a magazine of more than 10 or if it means you can only have up to 10 round mags in your possession. Not sure I would ask AO yet as they are like us and still working out these things. Could be worth a chat to a lawyer like Nicholas Taylor......Especially if you are going to make these.

Again, you could modify the mag so that your 10 round mag fits but larger std ones dont. Take a notch out of the top of the mag (at the back perhaps and fit a matching bump to the inside of the mag well and only that mag will fit and a normal pistol mag will not.....Or go cheap arse on it and make it single shot or internal mag as suggested above.

Looks awesome.
    Tommy and rewa like this.

I based my guesstimate thus: A basic platform to build off being the ideal (everyone will have a different idea about stock, grip, fore-end, suppressor or not), as it will allow it to be more mass produced rather than each one being bespoke (other than barrel length). So, a barreled action on a basic chassis? Or just the barreled action and sort the chassis oneself?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I based my guesstimate thus: A basic platform to build off being the ideal (everyone will have a different idea about stock, grip, fore-end, suppressor or not), as it will allow it to be more mass produced rather than each one being bespoke (other than barrel length). So, a barreled action on a basic chassis? Or just the barreled action and sort the chassis oneself?
    I would make them compatible with AR forends, stocks, handles. Lots of that kicking about.
    Tommy likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch