Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Caravan project

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Hope the old Trojan mechanical brakes are in good nick Coz they are non existent now in that vintage. If you get really stuck on the reco of the running gear, flick me a PM and I'll see if I can help with anything needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Just make sure whatever you use is compatible with aluminium. @Beetroot or @shift14 might be able to recommend a good product, the stuff they use at the jet base is amazing
    FFS, dont use tergo-strip. amazing on paint removal but eats alloy

Slowly getting there!
    Name:  05B26E11-17AC-4F45-9580-D00537029F42.jpeg
Views: 388
Size:  1.49 MB

Bus driver
    Howz this mate???

Name:  5CD5248C-A1F1-425F-886E-2CBA6BBFFD57.jpeg
Views: 396
Size:  124.0 KB
    Tertle, Biggun708 and Paddy79 like this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    Would consider it but then there is the run off on my driveway? I’m guessing it would stain?
    I used to use this industrial stuff on my cars, its a gel, just paint it on with a brush cover it in gladwrap leave it for a bit pull the gladwrap off, paint sticks to wrap and roll it up throw it in the bin paint is gone, no mess no fuss, just don't get it on your skin because it burns

Would spray on paint stripper not be the easiest way?
    And they blame the farmers for our shit water quality

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    And they blame the farmers for our shit water quality
    Mainly just the stupid ones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Slowly getting there
    Name:  EAE8FEF4-6029-496D-9ADF-A117E0F9C116.jpeg
Views: 317
Size:  1.36 MB
    Name:  FB7911B6-0850-4CF5-A768-FB340B426081.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  1.49 MB

[QUOTE=A330driver;652982]Howz this mate???

that look stunning! whats the inside like?

Bus driver
    We did it out,will get the bro to send me some other photos....halves......have a mate who’s an upholsterer.....very basic but everything can be turned into eating or sleeping quarters....
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    We did it out,will get the bro to send me some other photos....halves......have a mate who’s an upholsterer.....very basic but everything can be turned into eating or sleeping quarters....
    at the moment I'm just going to concentrate of painting it and making it weather tight.....will need to get front window sorted and the rubber trim around the other opening windows, then i will look at the wheels, breaks and drawbar.......then the inside,, but I'm after a very basic inside that can be turned from a eating sitting to sleeping so very keen to see your set up. Ive got 3 x 100 amp hour deep cycle batteries that will go in soon which will have solar set up but other than that its a semi clean slate!
    A330driver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    That will scuff up the ali good and proper. They do this expanded black plastic stuff for use in rotary tools, chews through paint and doesn't harm the alloy.

Have you got access to a compressor? Go the lazy route and blast it
    If you are thinking the 3M / scotch pads I found them more aggressive than the wire wheel. And you are right, the wire wheel is probably too aggressive too....

I would try what Tommy said,some sort of angle grinder attachment will be the easiest to use with the least mess and has the bonus of removing any corrosion and keying up the surface for priming.
    I'm not super familiar with paint strippers, but the ones I've used just loosened up the paint so still needed to be scrapped or scrubbed off. Having the rough surface may make this less than ideal.

Just make sure whatever you use is compatible with aluminium. @Beetroot or @shift14 might be able to recommend a good product, the stuff they use at the jet base is amazing
    Spec strip is what we called it, not sure what the full name is.
    Was horrible stuff to use, the fumes put off were horrific and the tiny bit on your skin would burn like crazy. Worked well as a paint stripper though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I would try what Tommy said,some sort of angle grinder attachment will be the easiest to use with the least mess and has the bonus of removing any corrosion and keying up the surface for priming.
    I'm not super familiar with paint strippers, but the ones I've used just loosened up the paint so still needed to be scrapped or scrubbed off. Having the rough surface may make this less than ideal.

Spec strip is what we called it, not sure what the full name is.
    Was horrible stuff to use, the fumes put off were horrific and the tiny bit on your skin would burn like crazy. Worked well as a paint stripper though.
    I'm taking a day off.....read really freaken sunburnt, going to potter inside the caravan today!!!!!

Ive been using a Norton product, a Blaze rapid strip, and as long as you don't sit it there on one spot it works a treat! I've just gone through my second one, the trick is not to sit there in one place as i have used it once before of one of my trucks i repainted and i soon learnt to watch for the metal overheating.

where i can't get into an area thats just too fiddly I've a set of wire wheels with various heads that I've used, I've even just taken to areas with a wire brush. The problem has been the odd textured aluminium sheets, they i have water blasted the buggery out of them, wire brushed the hollows and lightly buzzed the tops, its moved the bulk but there are a few odd spots of paint.

I've then gone over it again with an orbital sander, except the rivets, I've been real careful around them, i tried a spot sand blaster from super cheap..........that was possibly money better spent on lotto!

Now Im getting to the exterior paint selection and options. Ive keyed the alu so now I'm looking to etch, prime and then undercoat, working out if its cheaper to do myself or pay? I've got no issue in learning how to do this myself, but what things would cost me to do this as apposed to someone set up to do it is something I'm taking into consideration? mind you if i buy stuff its mine for future random projects??
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    mind you if i buy stuff its mine for future random projects??
    This reads, more stuff collecting dust in the garage