Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Howa Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I much prefer 2 stage triggers, like mickey says they concentrate you. I have a mini in 7,62 x39, the triggers fully ajustable and it breaks at 3 lb. Guess it's what your used to though.
    Yeah it was very hard going from a superlight Sako trigger to a 2 stage one but like you say its just what im used too.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    I just gave the Howa a good old bump test well more of a thump on the ground and a heap of slam the bolt shut worked the safety and no issues i didn't weigh the trigger but now it has no 1st stage and a nice crisp light let off, happy as.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    happy days, was the 3-4mm the O.D required for the roll pin sleeve ?
    #DANNYCENT

These triggers are easy to make very good. All I do is remove the springs for the first and second stage, throw the 2nd stage spring in my box of random springs, move the 1st stage spring to the second stage spot and snip a spring from a ballpoint pen down to about 5 or 6mm long and put that in for the 1st stage. You end up with an extremely light 1st stage that is barely noticeable and are able to dial the overall trigger weight to somewhere a little less than 1lb and have it still bump safe. Takes 5 min to do (or 10min if you have sausage fingers and eyesight like a pig)

Using the OPs air tube method, you could just use the 1st stage spring in the 2nd stage spot and not put anything at all in the 1st stage and you should have a light single stage trigger.

Personally I dont mind having a light 1st stage, I reckon it encourages good trigger technique.
    rupert, NZ_noddy and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    funny thing,I can notice the two stage if REALLY concentrate...but in all honesty I find the trigger awesome... trigger isnt creepy at all...and anyone who thinks a howa trigger is crap..needs to use a SMLE for a bit..then go back and appreciate how good the howa one actually is. if bolt is uncocked or safety is on...trigger feels gritty..but come business time,the trigger is fine.
    Depends on the age of the Howa though - the originals ( or before the HACT type triggers - now they were a pig!! ) I replaced that with a Timney only as I didnt have the skill nor tooling to make it the improvements it needed.

Having a HACT type trigger also on a later purchase, I did go the route of replacing the two springs in the trigger assembly, as unable to take it down under 3lbs (approx) pull. I used these guys - https://highvelocityhuntingaustralia...er-spring-kit/ - took 15 minutes to change over... What a difference!

I DID ask them to NOT state its intended use, but to put a generic description to bypass the fine mesh filter of customs.. ( cough )
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Factory Trigger View Post
    Depends on the age of the Howa though - the originals ( or before the HACT type triggers - now they were a pig!! ) I replaced that with a Timney only as I didnt have the skill nor tooling to make it the improvements it needed.

Having a HACT type trigger also on a later purchase, I did go the route of replacing the two springs in the trigger assembly, as unable to take it down under 3lbs (approx) pull. I used these guys - https://highvelocityhuntingaustralia...er-spring-kit/ - took 15 minutes to change over... What a difference!

I DID ask them to NOT state its intended use, but to put a generic description to bypass the fine mesh filter of customs.. ( cough )
    I have uses the pre-hact trigger that gundoc on here had improved for a mutual firend and it was an a beautiful trigger
    Id prefer it to be honest, no shitty long creep to find the second stage like this new lawyer trigger is

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I have uses the pre-hact trigger that gundoc on here had improved for a mutual firend and it was an a beautiful trigger
    Id prefer it to be honest, no shitty long creep to find the second stage like this new lawyer trigger is
    The first stage of movement isn’t creep. Its take-up, or travel, and is fundamental to the concept of a 2-stage trigger.

Creep is a completely different and definitely undesirable! Creep can affect both single-stage and two-stage triggers.

The original Howa trigger was an old single stage design that could suffer horrible creep. That was replaced years ago by the HACT. The two-stage HACT trigger has very light first stage take-up, then you hit the “wall” of the increased second stage pull, then it breaks with zero creep. The aforementioned spring upgrades achieve really good hunting triggers at minimal cost/effort, a lot of experienced hunters prefer a lighter pull, usually because our hunting ranges are often a lot further than other territories.
    dannyb likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

I really like the 2 stage too. In particular the Savage trigger when its adjusted down. Its good for my mental process - take up the blade pressure, exhale and think "boy, now you're for it", and fire.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I really like the 2 stage too. In particular the Savage trigger when its adjusted down. Its good for my mental process - take up the blade pressure, exhale and think "boy, now you're for it", and fire.
    Absolutely, if I can I'll replace with a 2 stage trigger. I feel that I'm in much better control.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nice mod if you like single stage I can shoot ether I really have no preference
    As long as the break is clean with no creep im happy

Might have to single stage one of my howa’s and have a play
    25/08IMP likes this.

again you fellas need to go and use a SMLE that hasnt been mucked around with if you think a HOWA has creepy two stage trigger,the first stage seemed to be about 2" and then the 2nd was fine..... its all about trigger control no matter what system your rifle has. one thing I believe we can all agree on...triggers have come a long way forwards from 50 years ago...heck rifles in general have done so.
    Jusepy likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Interesting thread .
    I have two Howa .223 rifles.
    An old one that I replaced the factory single stage trigger with a Timney and a newer one with the two stage HACT ( has a replacement 1 1/2 pound spring )
    I haven’t shot the HACT rifle for a month or two because I’ve been using the old gun , but last weekend I shot it because I’ve changed scope rings and needed to sight it in .
    After the first couple of shots I literally said out loud “ shit that triggers nice “ .
    I can’t explain why exactly, but at the moment I’m leaning towards the HACT as being better ( it is lighter than the Timney , so that might have something to do with it )
    The two stage aspect doesn’t worry me at all , but I have shot and still own a few Two stage triggered rifles so it’s not new to me .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA