Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Kimber Montana 7mm-08

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    You are quoting exceptions here. What you say is not supported by the science or general practical experience. Talk to any farmer about noise induced hearing loss - but you will need to shout. Me - I was a farmer and commercial hunter - 50% hearing loss at age 70.

    And, if you can go a life time of hunting without some Wally firing when you were in front of the muzzle you have led a charmed life.

    If you reply, please shout (use the cap-lock).

    Spot on Bruce

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South
    Posts
    111
    The other week my boy turned 11 on a Sunday so off we went hunting on Monday to the West Coast where I loaded up 20 rounds of a recipe of 120 gr Sierras I typically run in other 7mm-08's which I figured would work in the Kimber.

    On the way over we stopped and sighted in the rifle with three shots to zero scope 2 inch high at 100 mtrs and then my son to fire a shot to see how he likes the recoil which he didn't mind.

    We didn't have time to sit around to check grouping potential so left it at that.

    That afternoon we flew in with James Scott, got camp set up and went for a look where my son shot his first Bull Thar at 147 mtrs with the 7mm-08

    So far it's only fired 4 shots in it's current setup... it's a nice rifle to carry.
    jakewire, Bill999 and Micky Duck like this.

  3. #18
    Member stagstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North Island, New Zealand
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    I watched a UTube clip just last night hunting Tahr in the Landsborough River - great vid
    All Tahr were down low in the bush/scrub guts etc
    One guy had no SUP and the other guy had one that must of made his rifle like a post - he was young and was also very fit and he hauled that thing through some awful tangles
    I did notice on last day it was off.

    If I was in that country an was using my Kimber - even given the fact its been shortened and SUP is right back near against forestock - I would have it off
    Most times you have enough time to screw it back on

    I do not go along with the hearing thing sorry (unless on range) my hearing is perfect and have had 1000's of shots around my ears.
    What about all the WWII - Nam guys etc - as far as I recall the only ones who suffered hearing prob after were from artillery? My father died with perfect hearing at 90 and he spent over 4 years on the front lines in N Africa and then Europe in WWII
    There is no way anyone should get damage from an occasional shot - unless they forward of muzzle
    Game scare - yes SUP make a diff there - but who these days is after more than 1 animal unless you are a culler
    Recoil - was unaware of that - but do know if you shoot with it off (and it sighted in on) aim at the knee cap
    Going by that last paragraph theres not much point in trying to explain anymore to you. I found out I had a small amount of hearing damage when I was 18 from un suppressed firearms.. Your logic is backyard he said she said. Suppressors reduce the impacts on your hearing. Every single shot damages your hearing.. fact. Suppressors make every shot do less damage but doesn't stop it all together unless you wear muffs or plugs. I work with many people who are half deaf or wear hearing aids from the loose military days training with no ear protection. Its science...

  4. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    2,507
    I found out in a pre work medical that Iv lost a significant amount of hearing in my left ear
    i put it down to my right ear being squished against the rifle/shotgun stock

  5. #20
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I found out in a pre work medical that Iv lost a significant amount of hearing in my left ear
    i put it down to my right ear being squished against the rifle/shotgun stock
    What side of the bed do you sleep on ?
    Sure its not "da Mrss" ear bashing the left ear
    Hbwanderer likes this.

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    2,507
    my parents always told me id go blind if I played with it too much

    apparently i just went deaf in one ear

  7. #22
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Going by that last paragraph theres not much point in trying to explain anymore to you. I found out I had a small amount of hearing damage when I was 18 from un suppressed firearms.. Your logic is backyard he said she said. Suppressors reduce the impacts on your hearing. Every single shot damages your hearing.. fact. Suppressors make every shot do less damage but doesn't stop it all together unless you wear muffs or plugs. I work with many people who are half deaf or wear hearing aids from the loose military days training with no ear protection. Its science...
    Duck shooters ??
    Fire more shots in one morning than most rifle shooters do in a year (and most times squeezed in beside each other)
    So all of us over 50 should have hearing problem who have shot all our life ???? (as SUP's only been in prevalent use last 15 odd)
    Hearing damage issue - "perhaps" from work related or congenital origin and possible would have even if you had never touched a firearm.

    "Suppressors reduce the impacts on your hearing""
    Yes - that's not science that's a simple fact - BUT- is it worth unbalancing a balanced designed rifle - added weight/length etc - for the odd shot ???
    That's logical questioning - IMHO

    By the way I hated Science at school (school period) and I have no intent to take to it now
    Reminds me of an old "cliché"
    "if you can't baffle them with BS - dazzle them with brilliance"
    I will repeat - (for the hard of hearing) I have two rifles suppressed - an addition, not for hearing protection - but to each their own.
    Was hoping to hear other reasons for use (but then maybe my hearing is damaged and I just do not know yet

    Someone mentioned accuracy is better - is that on Bi-pod target shooting ????

  8. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    2,507
    soon youll be arguing the necessity of socks

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Invercargill, NZ
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    it looks like a budget howa
    I have both rifle and they are both good shooters !

    Howa 1500 .308 WIN - NZ$750 - bush and farms

    Kimber Montana .270 WSM - USD$1200 - tops and other open country

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Someone mentioned accuracy is better - is that on Bi-pod target shooting ????
    Accuracy is definately better with suppressors.

    Had a CZ .17 HMR without suppressor that shot great with Remington ammo and was more expensive than Hornady. Put on suppressor and the results were the other way around... worked out cheaper.

    I like to test all of my rifles with and without suppressors just in case your ever caught having to use a rifle without a suppressor so i know where POI is and i still find suppressors produce tighter groups.

    Another interesting point is speed!

    Plenty of people chop their barrels down 2 inches to assist with balance of having a suppressor where people always quote you'll loose 50 fps per inch as a general rule of thumb which is BS for example.

    My Tikka .223 which i think is 19-20 inch barrel shooting 55 gr Sierras with 26 gr AR2206H
    Without suppressor - 2933
    With Suppressor - 3005

    The same results have occurred with other rifles with suppressors on them where velocity increases. someone said Robbie Tiffen wrote an article explaining this prior to his passing.

    So... benefits of suppressors for me show, less hearing damage, less game being spooked, improved accuracy, more retained speed with shorter barrel.

  11. #26
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    3,172
    Ive got suppressors on all my rifles now except the .22lr which has long barrel and with subsonics is very quiet anyway.
    IF I have a brain fart and fire a shot unsuppressed (to show difference) my ears ring all day...how the hell I shot wallabies with the .270 with its 21" barrel unsuppressed for so long I dont know....what I do know is that I NO LONGER ENJOY hunting around unsuppressed rifles....far too many ringing headaches from shot going off slightly behind me....and yes got it opening weekend of duckshooting...nearly made me cry it was so intense...Ive tried wearing earmuffs when after ducks,my electronic ones are mono so I can hear ducks but cant pick where they are....

  12. #27
    Member stagstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North Island, New Zealand
    Posts
    187
    Lol. That fact is based on science... waste of time discussing the point further.

    Cool project by the way @Seventenths . One of your older 16" 284 projects was amongst those that inspired me to eventually do my own. Good stuff.

  13. #28
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Accuracy is definately better with suppressors.

    Had a CZ .17 HMR without suppressor that shot great with Remington ammo and was more expensive than Hornady. Put on suppressor and the results were the other way around... worked out cheaper.

    I like to test all of my rifles with and without suppressors just in case your ever caught having to use a rifle without a suppressor so i know where POI is and i still find suppressors produce tighter groups.

    Another interesting point is speed!

    Plenty of people chop their barrels down 2 inches to assist with balance of having a suppressor where people always quote you'll loose 50 fps per inch as a general rule of thumb which is BS for example.

    My Tikka .223 which i think is 19-20 inch barrel shooting 55 gr Sierras with 26 gr AR2206H
    Without suppressor - 2933
    With Suppressor - 3005

    The same results have occurred with other rifles with suppressors on them where velocity increases. someone said Robbie Tiffen wrote an article explaining this prior to his passing.

    So... benefits of suppressors for me show, less hearing damage, less game being spooked, improved accuracy, more retained speed with shorter barrel.
    Interesting - thanks @Seventenths

    What is the difference of POI between on versa off
    My Mini 14 was for memory 20 inches high off at 40m - I needed to know this as SUP spent most of time in Bumbag and got caught short a few times so aimed at kneecap (I was bush hunting - under 50m)
    Yes - I have substantial shortening to accommodate SUP on Kimber (they call it a name I hate which does not do it justice as its sure no swine :-)

    Speed - that sounds more science that former scientific statements :-)

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Accuracy is definately better with suppressors.

    Had a CZ .17 HMR without suppressor that shot great with Remington ammo and was more expensive than Hornady. Put on suppressor and the results were the other way around... worked out cheaper.

    I like to test all of my rifles with and without suppressors just in case your ever caught having to use a rifle without a suppressor so i know where POI is and i still find suppressors produce tighter groups.

    Another interesting point is speed!

    Plenty of people chop their barrels down 2 inches to assist with balance of having a suppressor where people always quote you'll loose 50 fps per inch as a general rule of thumb which is BS for example.

    My Tikka .223 which i think is 19-20 inch barrel shooting 55 gr Sierras with 26 gr AR2206H
    Without suppressor - 2933
    With Suppressor - 3005

    The same results have occurred with other rifles with suppressors on them where velocity increases. someone said Robbie Tiffen wrote an article explaining this prior to his passing.

    So... benefits of suppressors for me show, less hearing damage, less game being spooked, improved accuracy, more retained speed with shorter barrel.
    I have a very scientific(read completely made up) theory around supps and accuracy. I think in hunting weight rifles, a lot of accuracy is sacrificed to poor recoil management and follow through. A suppressor doesn't change the amount of recoil energy much but it does lengthen the period and lower the peak force. I believe this change makes for easier follow through and a straighter recoil motion, which in turn aids accuracy.

  15. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Interesting - thanks @Seventenths

    What is the difference of POI between on versa off
    My Mini 14 was for memory 20 inches high off at 40m - I needed to know this as SUP spent most of time in Bumbag and got caught short a few times so aimed at kneecap (I was bush hunting - under 50m)
    Good question but each rifle & suppressor to their own!

    The mini 14 from my experience with using them weren’t overly accurate but I never got to shoot any with a suppressor.

    Ask “The Bomb” here on the forum what worked for him with his mini 30 as from memory he was using something to help balance out the harmonica on his setup... check with him

    As for suppressors, I run all my guns with DPT suppressors & have been more than happy with them.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Kimber Montana SA
    By HuntGatherRepeat in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-08-2016, 02:22 PM
  2. Kimber montana
    By Freezer in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 23-06-2015, 11:18 AM
  3. Kimber Montana 84M .223
    By Kimber in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 24-04-2015, 03:22 PM
  4. Kimber Montana 84M .223
    By Kimber in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-03-2015, 07:43 PM
  5. Kimber Montana 84M 223
    By Kimber in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 09:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!