Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Making a magazine, just for the fun of it

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    It might work but it would only be single stack and the lips would need extending (and I only have one magazine and that goes with a gun that still works) the front is too narrow for the 410 to be anything other than single stack. The rim of the 410 is the same as the 303 so the back end isnt really a problem.

Attachment 83480Attachment 83481

If I go completely box shaped they look like they will stack ok, instead of a hammer formed track to hold the rims back I figure it will be easier to weld in separate plates in the back-sides of the magazine to control the rim, there is still a bit of scope to get some more "bend" in the stack by making the front wider. This may require a bit of trimming in the receiver to fit and will be pretty critical to get the mag height into the receiver correct
    @Chilli_Dog

Well, yes it it may a problem. With a wider rear of the magazine, the front ends of the shells will scrunch together and want to stack steeper, while the rear ends have plenty space to spread out and stack wider. But if you narrow the rear of the magazine the space problem is sorted and front and back stacks similarly - hence the importance of my point of making the effective magazine well rectangular. They should still stack sufficiently to allow double feed lips and stripper loading.

Didn't realise you were down to one SMLE mag. About 50 bucks or less if you are lucky. I assumed you were making the magazine for an Ishapore SMLE 410G shotgun, in which case you really would be preferring an SMLE mag conversion for the right look. What do you want to use it in?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

A little bit of progress, not so much on the magazine but a brake press to fit in the vice to tidy up the bending of the magazine. I didnt have a lot of useful bits of metal for this so the angle sections were cut from a bit of RHS, the blade is a piece of L6 that I ground the edge on with an angle grinder - a file would have been easier except it was too hard. Hopefully it doesnt snap off at the weld, preheated as much as I could with a butane torch thing and did a couple of dry runs with the tig to get a bit more heat into it, I also used 316 filler to maximise my chance of success. The "V" is a couple of pieces of silver steel which is a bit of a waste but all I had. It seems to work ok though.
    Name:  20180407_190805.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  1.02 MB
    Name:  20180407_190746.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  1.16 MB

Not a magazine but still related to the project, 1/2 inch drive Enfield receiver wrench.Name:  20180423_194853[1].jpg
Views: 332
Size:  1.56 MB
    Cordite likes this.