Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Mauser M96 safety mod

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    yours is a one piece redfield base good quality base ..... the bolt on yours is the same as mine (typical miitary m98) i put a low swing safety on mine which you can buy from outdoor supplies to fix your issue can be done without the aid of a gunsmith they are different to the m96. you just have to make sure you get your head around stripping the bolt correctly . you will have to remove the scope to do it as you need the safety on (upright ) and its good to know how to strip the bolt for cleaning anyway.
    I wasn't commenting on the quality of the base. It's a good one

I was just mentioning if I managed to move the scope forward or higher it would work as is.

Hmm... I will have a look. Thanks bro.

I have seen a video on stripping the bolt. They do it with the bolt out. Or do you have to put the safety with the bolt in?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

with the bolt in put the safety on and remove the bolt . the shroud should just unscrew ....and disassemble from there
    Timney Triggers Mauser Safety Low Profile M-98 LPS Model 1001 - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies
    Russian 22. likes this.

Does the safety function with that gap? maybe a 10 thou shim?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Does the safety function with that gap? maybe a 10 thou shim?
    I got rid of the gap with the countersink, but now have to modify the lever and remove material where it interferes with the bolt head.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Safety fitted. Found that cocking piece hitting the safety lever screw head, so I machined a recess for the screw head. Cocking piece accommodates the screw head, but not hits the safety lever along the solid red line in the picture. Will machine cocking piece back to the dashed red line so the cocking piece can travel all the way home. Currently firing pin will not protrude from bolt face.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

I likey
    Good thought process and even though I am definitely and amateur gunsmith (muck around on my own stuff) my years of fitting has led me to make some mistakes but come back to the principle of nut it out first and its easier to take your time and take as little as possible off when doing this sort of thing.
    Good fitting practices are the same no matter what.

I know the rifle and know Stretch is an exceptionally accurate (pedantic?) practitioner. Excellent effort there.

Id be questioning them on the minor grinding the say might be necessary to fit to a 96, seems a little engineering project. Good result thoygh.