Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 2 Post By dannyb
  • 3 Post By dannyb

Thread: Model 70 cocking piece removal....little help please

Model 70 cocking piece removal....little help please

I am trying to replace the cocking piece on my post 64 model 70 Winchester firing pin.
    I have managed to remove the spring and the retaining washers without loosing them but for the life of me I cannot see how to get the cocking piece from the firing pin ?
    It appears to have a cross pin in it but it doesn't go all the way through so can't see an obvious way to tap it out.
    Anyone got any pointers or advice ? Or should I stop here and leave it for a gunsmith ?

Top side showing the cross pin

Name:  20201119_111412.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  3.41 MB

Bottom side.

Name:  20201119_111422.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  3.42 MB
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    A little googling gives this if it's any use...

Re: Post 64 Winchester bolt disassembly [Re: darrenk75b]#688036209/17/12
    Redneck
    Campfire Oracle

WI.
    Originally Posted by darrenk75b
    Anyone care to offer direction on how to fully strip a post 64 model 70 bolt. It needs to be refinished. Thanks!
    Easy..

Run bolt into receiver and with handle down. Place safety on half-step and remove bolt. Depress bolt-lock button and unscrew the shroud/firing pin from bolt body. (If this is a PF bolt, continue).. Place bolt body with face upwards in a padded vise. Use a thin wire or end of small paper clip to depress the plunger in the center of the extractor - hold down while slowly sliding it off. CONTROL that plunger/spring or you'll be searching for parts for an hour..

Next, place the bolt body horizontally in the vise with ejector upwards. Use a 1/16" punch to move it's retaining pin from R to L. USE YOUR THUMB to restrain the ejector when the pin's driven out or you'll again be looking for parts somewhere in the house.. laugh

The body is now stripped. If you need the shroud/FP disassembled, the first thing is to move the safety to the FIRE position. That will remove some of the tension on the FP srping. Most M70 shrouds have a screw placed on the outer rim of the shroud. Remove that screw - it's a FP retaining piece. Next, place the shroud on a flat surface with the firing pin aiming straight up. You'll need to hold down the mainspring enough to dislodge its keeper (a half-moon clip at the very end of the spring) along with the (rather unnecessary) ringed washer.. Once those clear the firing pin slot, the spring's tension can be slowly relieved and the spring removed. Then the FP moves backwards out of the shroud. There will be a very small pin that retains the safety lever. With the shroud back in the padded vise, use a very thin wire punch to push that pin inside, being careful to plug both ends so you won't be searching for THAT.. The safety lever can now be removed straight up - but also control its plunger and spring.

Last to remove is the lock button. Again, it's a very thin punch needed to move its retaining pin - from the back edge pushing towards the front. HOLD onto that button while doing so or it's the third part you'll be searching an hour for.. Remove the button and it's spring from the recess.. All parts are now stripped down.

Reverse order to replace..

NRA Benefactor member.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

Gunsmith since '98.

Pro-Constitution.

Molon Labe..
    Nope mines a control feed, there is a pin in the cocking piece on the firing pin that needs to come out to remove the broken cocking piece.
    #DANNYCENT

Use a bigger hammer.... or the grinder

Name:  20201119_123332.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  3.08 MB

Name:  20201119_123344.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  3.07 MB

Name:  20201119_123433.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  3.51 MB
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Use a bigger hammer.... or the grinder
    I am not @Ryan_Songhurst
    Moa Hunter and csmiffy like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Anybody
    #DANNYCENT

Ask Mike Collings
    dannyb likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I assume you have tried pressing the pin, in case it's really a spring-loaded button?

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I assume you have tried pressing the pin, in case it's really a spring-loaded button?
    Correct, I have spoken to a gunsmith and it sounds like it has to be drilled out as the pin is in a blind hole.
    No problem but will wait till the new cocking piece arrives, then take the whole lot to the smith.
    Hopefully should have this all sorted next week
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Yes appear to need to drill it out, the thing looks to be a one-piecer from the part numbers supplied on the assembly drawings.
    Yup have gone as far as I can with this, now up to a gunsmith when the part finally arrives, man I'm itching to get this rifle going.....the suspense is killing me
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    If you are replacing the cocking piece then the existing cocking piece is a sacrificial item.
    Just machine or grind the cocking piece away from around the pin, once the pin is exposed you can pull the pin out and fit the new cocking piece.
    Have ended up buying a new firing pin and complete from Winchester NZ importer, as lucky as I was to track down a replacement cocking pin the one I found was not stainless and after all the work I have put in to the rest of the rifle it would've pissed me off every time I saw it.
    Should be all sorted by mid next week as only ordered the pin on Friday.
    zimmer, Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.
    #DANNYCENT