Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: New old lathe

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Very close, it is a Drummond. During WWII the war office uplifted everthing to do with this lathe and gave it to Myford to produce so that Drummond could concentrate on bigger machines for the war effort. This lathe was the basis of the successful Myford line. Drummond made the Maximat line. I have't seen this in the flesh yet so not sure if it is a Drummond or a Myford M type long bed modellers lathe.

Those boxes of bits would likely cost a thousand or two.

Hopefully it is not to worn and if it is I have a stick of white metal you can have to recast bearings and you can have the bed reground at any decent engine reconditioners.
    7mmsaum and gadgetman like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yes. Was one onboard all the Brit naval ships and it ran off a shaft running through the workshop.
    Straight up? I was just taking the piss
    Like all the eye candy in the box. Real tools

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

Hopefully it is not to worn and if it is I have a stick of white metal you can have to recast bearings and you can have the bed reground at any decent engine reconditioners.
    I've seen some closeups of the bed and it looks really good. These things are made very rigid. I've heard and seen a few of these run through a milling machine to check the bed and there was zero deflection along the entire length. They have a conical bearing in them so as it wears you just wind it in a little to remove any play and easy to machine up new ones. Making a replacement set will be a high priority.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Straight up? I was just taking the piss
    Like all the eye candy in the box. Real tools
    You can run off a shaft, electric motor or foot treddle. The treddle wheel is about 40kg.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I've seen some closeups of the bed and it looks really good. These things are made very rigid. I've heard and seen a few of these run through a milling machine to check the bed and there was zero deflection along the entire length. They have a conical bearing in them so as it wears you just wind it in a little to remove any play and easy to machine up new ones. Making a replacement set will be a high priority.
    Nice.
    My workmate had two small myfords clutering up my shed when he was living at mine, he had the bed of one ground surprisingly the headstock bearings were still pretty good but they may have been done peviously a few times.
    As is the case with virtually all lathes they wear a hollow in the bed where the carrage is close to the chuck where 90% of the work is done which you may not care about for what you are going to do with it or it may be fine as is

Go the whole hog with a tredle wheel... Keep you fit for the hills
    veitnamcam likes this.

Nice.
    My workmate had two small myfords clutering up my shed when he was living at mine, he had the bed of one ground surprisingly the headstock bearings were still pretty good but they may have been done peviously a few times.
    As is the case with virtually all lathes they wear a hollow in the bed where the carrage is close to the chuck where 90% of the work is done which you may not care about for what you are going to do with it or it may be fine as is
    Yes, that is definitely the place that takes the wear. Still miss my old lathe, bigger and stronger with a reasonable 38mm bore. This thing has a bore that small you may as well consider it not to have one.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Yes, that is definitely the place that takes the wear. Still miss my old lathe, bigger and stronger with a reasonable 38mm bore. This thing has a bore that small you may as well consider it not to have one.
    Yea ya end up doing a lot between centers and or a steady but it is surprising what you can do on a small Lathe.

Mate mounted a 4 jaw with bearings on a morse for the tailstock,VERY handy bit of gear that.
    Danny likes this.

Yea ya end up doing a lot between centers and or a steady but it is surprising what you can do on a small Lathe.

Mate mounted a 4 jaw with bearings on a morse for the tailstock,VERY handy bit of gear that.
    Yes I've used that setup in a machine shop. Glad I kept my dial guage, micrometers and verniers. Can't wait to pick to loot up after a trip to visit @kotoku for an engine crane. Roll on the weekend.

These are 4 pole 1400 Rpm motors
    gadgetman likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    These are 4 pole 1400 Rpm motors
    I'd be keen to take one off your hands Maca. Thanks. PM me cost and account details.

That lathe is older than my one by about 5-6 years and this one has been in the family for about 60 years. I can recall my old man having shit loads of steel for turning and every time we shifted it all had to go as well. He used to rewind electric motors on it as well. Mine is an Atlas and also has a heap of extra tools etc.

Its currently stripped down to replace bearings through out
    gadgetman likes this.

This is the most recognised site for lathe info Lathes
    I have a small EMCO which is really just a larger jeweller's lathe but despite its size I have done some amazing things on it.
    Would dearly love a larger big but just don't have room for one.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    This is the most recognised site for lathe info Lathes
    I have a small EMCO which is really just a larger jeweller's lathe but despite its size I have done some amazing things on it.
    Would dearly love a larger big but just don't have room for one.
    I've used that sight many times over the years to help identify possible candidates.

I've used that sight many times over the years to help identify possible candidates.
    Good write up on the Drummond don't you think.