Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: New old lathe

A bit of swirlie swarf in SS would suffice? Ouch
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

res
    Ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Prince Albert would be more fun! And making the insertion punch!
    Might need some longer bar stock.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Hmm making a piercing blade and the corresponding recovery tube for a PA is not a job I would have thought of. Making a pa bar or ring would a hard task-but the balls for the ends would be ok. Maybe a "princes wand" (go on google it)would be a good lathe job-esp as good ones need to be custom fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh dear Lord! That's one sight you can't unsee
    Maca49 and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Two rules using a lathe
    1- don't leave the chuck key in the chuck. EVER
    2- take you tie off!
    I'd mention long hair..... But that's an age thing
    I recal many years ago at homo hill (Westlake boys HS) being a turd former a fella by the name of piglet turned his lathe on in reverse (fortunately I think??) with the chuck key in, sending it out through the top window pane.
    Farkn hilarious

Even more to our amusement he was promptly marched out back for 3 licks of the cane for being stupid.

Was a good lesson for the rest of us not to leave the lathe key in the chuck.

Poor old piglet was a bit accident prone, I also recal the same lad at home economics class or sewing as it happened to be on this occasion, sewing up his shoulder bad, ripping along, feeding it in to the machine with the foot up! Chunks chunka chunka three stitches through the hand. Piglet went pale that day.
    gadgetman, kimjon, Maca49 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidick View Post
    I recal many years ago at homo hill (Westlake boys HS) being a turd former a fella by the name of piglet turned his lathe on in reverse (fortunately I think??) with the chuck key in, sending it out through the top window pane.
    Farkn hilarious

Even more to our amusement he was promptly marched out back for 3 licks of the cane for being stupid.

Was a good lesson for the rest of us not to leave the lathe key in the chuck.

Poor old piglet was a bit accident prone, I also recal the same lad at home economics class or sewing as it happened to be on this occasion, sewing up his shoulder bad, ripping along, feeding it in to the machine with the foot up! Chunks chunka chunka three stitches through the hand. Piglet went pale that day.
    I think everyone knows that guy from every school.
    veitnamcam and kimjon like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Haha I recon GM, I'm just glad it wasn't me.

That's how you learnt, I was in John Hendersons class a Wairarapa College, take you hand off the chuck key while it was in the chuck, no excuses, arse whacked. We learnt fast!!pity it doesn't happen these days!
    We used to break down aluminium sourced from WW2 aircraft , heat it up with the gas and smash it with a sledge hammer, that was stopped when one of the guys got hit in the eye with a piece of alloy that left the eye on his cheek, he didn't learn he later died when a car he had jacked up but not put stands on, fell and crushed his chest! There also was a bullet hole in the match lining between the metal work and wood work room, old Fosil the wood work teacher must of shit himself when the ball bearing from the cannon next door flew
    through his class room! Cannon making banned! Good days hahahahah
    gadgetman, kimjon, Beaker and 3 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Back in the day at Cashmere High I opted to have 7 periods of practical metalwork (no theory) as my optional subject in the 6th form. I was allowed access to the metalwork shop to do this by myself (can't see that going down well with the OSH freaks these days) and used the time well. Amongst other things I made a bullet mould and a set of loading dies for my .38 S&W Victory Model (purchased in my school uniform on a street corner one evening for 8 Pounds including a box of ammo), a new cylinder locking bolt for the same gun after I broke the original spinning and closing the cylinder, and a new set of valves (remachined from old car valves) for a 1928 Harley Davidson that a class-mate was restoring. They really were the good old days (despite almost 200 strokes of the cane in my 3rd, 4th, and 5th form years!).

I can remember the metalwork teacher giving a demonstration of how strong fibreglass was. He swing a sledge hammer from over his shoulder to smack it, and the hammer bounced straight back up at his face. He managed to control it enough to only get a light tap on the swede but he was looking a bit pale and shaky.

Can also remember making canons but we were not allowed to make them so they could work. Just a shallow bore and no priming hole. Spoil sport. Came out pretty good though and lots of filing work to make the carriage.

Haha, old Mr Clarke, our engineering teacher at Waitaki Boys high school (you either got Mr Clarke, or "K-mac" who was stricter, I was one of the lucky ones) was the best teacher, used to let us run riot, but we still learnt heaps off him, kind of a mutual respect thing going on.
    Agree that things must be a lot different these days with all the new H&S regulations?

Ejected
    We we're taught to make cannons and steam engine's at Orewa college 15 years ago.

Dude left chuck key in and it embedded itself in the ceiling.

We also wanted to test the fire extinguisher so decided to start an oil fire in the class, spent the next few days cleaning up all the white powder and crap.

Physics was good too, spent the whole time making hydrogen and blowing things up and burning holes through tables with rolls of magnesium

chemistry was always fun... bio chem inparticular when we were making wine, sure that isnt allowed these days, 16yr old on the piss with the teacher in class

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Haha, old Mr Clarke, our engineering teacher at Waitaki Boys high school (you either got Mr Clarke, or "K-mac" who was stricter, I was one of the lucky ones) was the best teacher, used to let us run riot, but we still learnt heaps off him, kind of a mutual respect thing going on.
    Agree that things must be a lot different these days with all the new H&S regulations?
    I was a boarder at Waitaki in '61-'62 for my 3rd and 4th forms (the Rector did not like me making home brew in the DX club rooms). I can't remember who the metalwork teacher was but right at the outset we were told we could make anything we liked except guns, knives, and go-carts! In my 4th form year I made a plywood canoe in woodwork and the old man had to drive from Ch-Ch to collect me (and get an earful from the Rector advising that I would not be there for the 5th form) because I couldn't take it on the train at the end of the year. It was bloody good canoe and I used to supplement my pocket money by drifting down the Heathcote (near where the A&P grounds now are) and scoring a few ducks with my little H&R .22 Young America revolver. I could get 5 shillings for a pair of dressed ducks (headshot only) and that would get me two packets of .22 ammo at the local hardware store. Kids today just don't have the same opportunities for fun!

I used to rescue the street signs from the Avon and Dudley Creek, from my kayak, and give them back to the council to put back up. Well when I slowed down enough to see them. Would cover about 30km on a Saturday arvo, wish I still has those arms.