Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Project

Really interesting,
    So maybe my lust for a custom rifle is just not worth it at this stage. With a lot of thought I might just buy a range finder and start there with my current 7-08.
    Crf900 looks like a goer. Ok place to start?

you could easily ream your standard 708 to 284 or 208 depending on what can you have for a little more boogey
    if your suppressor is a gunworks it wont even need to be changed. if its another brand best to ask the manufacturer.
    if nothing else fit the scope you plan to use for the longer ranger and practice with the 7-08 itl be cheaper than running a 300wm and not chew into your barrel life
    I personally went for a tikka 708 and reamed to 280 was a cheap quick project with no feeding problems.
    or if you want 30 cal go for a standard 30-06 it falls between the 300 wm and 308 then stoak it up with handloading
    Im personally resisting the whole custom rifle road due to the fact that its a slippery road to bieng very poor.
    I think you shoud decide on what you are after completly then what you are prepaired to spend and work from the end point backwards
    $barrel $action $stock $gunsmithing $dies $reloading equip $brass avialability and price $projectile choice $trigger $bedding $muzzle break
    the $$ quickly add up, and its why my rem700 still wears its factory barrel
    Ill get there one day but iv got to save up the $ for the scope first NF dont come cheap

I know nothing about long range shooting. But reading through this one other option seems to be jumping out at me. Since you will never recoup what is spent on you're own build just wait till someone who has done so changes their mind. Then buy that if it meets your criteria. You save $$$ while the other guy gets a few $$$ to sink into his new project. Yeah, I know, I squeak when I walk.

But there is nothing like your own build. Making the decision on every component is worth every penny spent whether it is ever recouped or not.Sometimes the build IS the object of the exercise and by happy coincidence you get the shooter you spent so many sleepless nights thinking through. Ask me how I know that.

Von Gruff.

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I know nothing about long range shooting. But reading through this one other option seems to be jumping out at me. Since you will never recoup what is spent on you're own build just wait till someone who has done so changes their mind. Then buy that if it meets your criteria. You save $$$ while the other guy gets a few $$$ to sink into his new project. Yeah, I know, I squeak when I walk.
    haha mate that made my day

I love all animals.........especially with gravy

This is what my dad built for his lr cover all bases rifle:
    tikka t3 laminate in 7mm rem mag,
    limbsaver recoil pad,
    trijicon accupoint 5-20x50 milldot,
    20 MOA base rail
    Burris XTR tactical rings(grunty things!)
    and a harris ultralight bipod to finish things off.
    Am yet to start load development but will get kit in the near future.

You cannot go wrong with 7mm rem mag and if your a bit of a tight arse its the cheapest of the magnums to shoot from what i know currently.
    Nice High BC bullets, recoil that most shooters can tolerate and its got plenty of grunt down range.

Terminal Ballistics Research

This is a great site(not saying this one isn't) but ive found it a great place to become enlightened.

Caretaker
    Freezer, hows the LR rifle decision coming along

What about a Savage Model 110 based action? The Stevens 200 is quite popular as a donor rifle for target shooters at home; I even have one myself. They're easy to re-barrel with the right tools and a quick study session on youtube plus there are more and more aftermarket options becoming available every year. I was able to find an older model 110 for $275 after only a couple weeks spent search TardMe. Check out the article in the link below for a bit of a read.

What About These Stevens Rifles?

Customs are a bad idea, buy a factory rifle, shoot stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Customs are a bad idea
    Especially 6.5x47s & Ar15s ........

Exactly

I made the mistake of listening to everyone going on about how awesome their custom rifles are and how you get to decide every feature of them etc. Guess what, at the end of the day it's all academic bullshit and doesn't make a practical difference, I'd rather buy a decent factory rifle in a common simple calibre that works and shoot shit.

AR15, show me someone selling a decent one in NZ for Not $rape

What does it cost to improve you off the rack to near custom performance=$1400 barrel and trigger
    what would you get for that=consistent under 1/2 inch ability. do you need that realistically if your a shorter range hunter,probably not.
    If you shoot much longer ranges best get a custom i think but it depends on your needs and what cash your wiling to waste or invest
    Last edited by el borracho; 12-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

I hit things just as well with a $1400 used Sako 75 .243 as I do with a ??$$$$$ custom 6.5x47 and I haven't seen many people with $$$$?? Customs do much better at hitting things either to be perfectly honest

andyanimal gave many an arse kicking at an event with an off the shelf Tikka out to 1000y --at least i think it was
    Customs buyers motivation isn't just about accuracy,some things are ascetics also possibly or a myriad of other things
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question