Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Is an air rifle a firearm?

Well looking at the picture, yes I see three air rifles which by definition (as @gundoc identifed) are not firearms, however, for once I think the headline is correct as there are at least a couple of Shotguns (one cut down to sawn off pistol) and what appears to be three rimfires one of which is definitely pistil sized and a 303 barreled action of some sort, so firearms is 9for the most part) accurate for 70% of what is pictured. And lets be honest, 70% accurate is better than what the media normally manages these days...My main question is where is all the KFC they have been smuggling of late? Or were the cops too late to catch them with that...?
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Also in the legislation (has been since 1984), believe it's the police comissioner.
    I think it was added to the 1984 legislation as an addendum more recently after a Police officer was shot with a PCP. Up until that point, they were legal if you were over 18 as the Police / powers that be figured they were so expensive that they would be self restricting (the only people who would buy one would be able to get 'real' firearms much more cheaply and easily that they would not bother unless they specifically wanted a PCP....
    10-Ring likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regu...rous%20airguns.

Link to the legislation re what a 'Specially Dangerous Airgun' is.

A Specially Dangerous Airgun is considered a firearm under NZ Legislation.

as far as i understand well i know this bit I think we all do air riles are not considered a firearm as such (unless of Corse its a pcp) they are considered a deadly weapon though

but i think you can be charged for missuse or crimes with an air rifle under firearms meaning the charge would be the same as if the crime as committed with a "real" firearm like a shotgun for example
    correct me if im not correct

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regu...rous%20airguns.

Link to the legislation re what a 'Specially Dangerous Airgun' is.

A Specially Dangerous Airgun is considered a firearm under NZ Legislation.
    I think the intention is to treat them as a firearm rather than call them a firearm. By definition they are not a firearm, but being specified as a Specially Dangerous Airgun means they are treated as such....

I would point out that the error here is that the "Specially' should be 'Especially'. It does not change the intent or use of the law but it would be nice if legislators could get basic grammar and spelling correct...otherwise it would of bin in vain....sorry Would HAVE BEEN

There is a subtle difference between the two that is missed by most...

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/especially
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/specially
    10-Ring likes this.

Velocity is almost irellevant. PhilH posted a link in the HW97 thread that showed this, despite differing projectile weights the -impact energy- remained mostly constant.

In the uk you're limited to 12fpe without a license. That's actually a sensible number and will still kill critters.
    But it shouldn't be legislated, as it's just more imposition, and it's not the size, it's how you use it.
    And as we all know criminals are immune to law, and can use anything with bad intent.
    kinetic energy is equal to half of an object's mass multiplied by the velocity squared (or so the nerds chant).

So at a distance, i think velocity and specifics of a given airgun are relevant. But, up close you would be right, the wound channel would go in a good 3" with a gutless 12ftlbs .177. The difference is that the .22 pcp at 32lbs will to that at 100m.

But i have my doubts an airgun could shoot though an engine block and the pistons???? (re another comment further back) My 45-70 moving at 2000fts with a 400gn copper jacket will splat on a steel plate. There are no airguns traveling at that speed. Ive seen a .177 moving at 1500fts which it the max theoretical possible and it rebounded off a concrete block (formed a 20mm deep cone and fused with the chips instead of disintegrating like normal). But this was done with a 50cal airgun re-barrelled for .177 (just to see). I'm dubious....

Wasn't the barret 50bmg invented entirely for this purpose?

Just quoting the legislation Savage1 linked to:

"Specified pre-charged pneumatic air rifles are declared to be specially dangerous airguns."

Specific pcp's? Is there a list? I've got a 12fpe import from the UK. Would be nice if it wasn't considered a firearm.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

As I understand it, All PCP rifles require FAL, regardless of power level.
    PCP pistols do not.
    correct 100% any pcp regardless of power is conciderd a firearm and requires an fal to own in nz
    pcp pistols however are not and don't require a fal which it pretty funny really