Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Anti-1080 protester has firearms licence revoked after delivering threatening letter

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    The guy is a nutter, and may very well NOT be fit and proper, but I can't find any reference to any threat of lethal force. He called people terrorists.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Yup. Trying to find out what the lethal threat he was supposed to have made as well. If calling people terrorists is all he did then he has a case.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, outlander and rewa like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Examine the logic:

He says,

"We believe that your terrorist actions are torturing and offering undue acts of cruelty to non-targeted species ... you have poisoned our children's future and as such we wish you to cease and desist,"

Cop says,

"You ... indirectly threatened the [council] employees with lethal force in relation to their support or stance towards 1080 drops, citing said employees to be deemed as terrorists,"

When you step in one and it smells like one, you're dealing with a genuine non sequitur. It genuinely terrorises me when someone in power use arbitrary logic like this and I hope the courts will agree. I can only wonder what pressure Mel Aitken is under to screw about with reason in that way - if that is so, it will not be pressure from any true friend of hers.

Bottom line is, animal cruelty is animal cruelty - but people do not like being told to their face that they're cruel and wrong and find this very threatening. After all, who does he think he is to challenge our groupthink morals??? We are 'only following orders' and so deserve that police will go and construct allegations against someone who dares to confront us about our willing compliance.
    Last edited by Cordite; 13-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Has his fal been revoked or suspended. The issue is i think he has concealed those firearms and undoubtedly still has access to them which now constitutes a clear criminal offence if he accesses them.
    He has the right to have the suspension reviewed and I hope he does but from the video and a quick look at his fb page he doesn't exactly fit the definition of fit and proper in my mind. Perhaps a test case to set parameters for that definition is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Yup. Trying to find out what the lethal threat he was supposed to have made as well. If calling people terrorists is all he did then he has a case.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Other people have talked about shooting helicopters etc. I hope he hasn't encouraged or endorsed such hypotheticals.

veitnamcam, R93, Tommy and 2 others like this.

Hmmmm. Odd.

I sent an email to my AO about someone who has lost their driving licence multiple times, including doing a runner and having a police chase. Has been on home detention multiple times. Loosing drivers licence once or being sentenced to Home detention once is not a huge issue depending on what they did. But Multiple times of both already shows to me they are not "Fit and proper"
    And they have multiple threats against 1080 supporters and the police including
    "If there was a reward for 1080 droppers ears like there used to be for animals i will be out hunting all day"
    Talking about police "I wanta (sic) shoot one and watch everyone not give a fuck, lets call it pig hunting"
    And generic ramblings that makes me think they are an unstable person..

......They still have their FAL
    veitnamcam, Cordite and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    Hmmmm. Odd.

I sent an email to my AO about someone who has lost their driving licence multiple times, including doing a runner and having a police chase. Has been on home detention multiple times. Loosing drivers licence once or being sentenced to Home detention once is not a huge issue depending on what they did. But Multiple times of both already shows to me they are not "Fit and proper"
    And they have multiple threats against 1080 supporters and the police including
    "If there was a reward for 1080 droppers ears like there used to be for animals i will be out hunting all day"
    Talking about police "I wanta (sic) shoot one and watch everyone not give a fuck, lets call it pig hunting"
    And generic ramblings that makes me think they are an unstable person..

......They still have their FAL
    Unreal
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Other people have talked about shooting helicopters etc. I hope he hasn't encouraged or endorsed such hypotheticals.

That’s been said to me, I don’t see the guy as, not fit and proper! Just stating what may happen?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Unreal
    Yup...and as far as im aware they have not even had a chat to them about it either. I would expect that at a minimum.
    6x47 and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Does she alone have the right to do this? Or would there be consultation? That’s a lot of power to one person?
    When things like rank once concerned me, an Inspector meant Captain. Below senior management by a fair bit. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Examine the logic:

He says,

"We believe that your terrorist actions are torturing and offering undue acts of cruelty to non-targeted species ... you have poisoned our children's future and as such we wish you to cease and desist,"

Cop says,

"You ... indirectly threatened the [council] employees with lethal force in relation to their support or stance towards 1080 drops, citing said employees to be deemed as terrorists,"

When you step in one and it smells like one, you're dealing with a genuine non sequitur. It genuinely terrorises me when someone in power use arbitrary logic like this and I hope the courts will agree. I can only wonder what pressure Mel Aitken is under to screw about with reason in that way - if that is so, it will not be pressure from any true friend of hers.

Bottom line is, animal cruelty is animal cruelty - but people do not like being told to their face that they're cruel and wrong and find this very threatening. After all, who does he think he is to challenge our groupthink morals??? We are 'only following orders' and so deserve that police will go and construct allegations against someone who dares to confront us about our willing compliance.
    As with ALL Stuff articles, not all the truth will be there. The use of the word Terrorist will grab headlines and is there for click bait. The actual threats may not have been published for any number of reasons, but the main one I can think of is that it would be detrimental to the story which is to encourage the conflict.

Or it may not have been published if there is a genuine belief that someone will try to commit the act. Either way I trust Stuff about as much as I trust twigs and tweets to tell the truth. Remember that their motto is Never let the facts get in the way of a good headline....

Personally, if the police have seen fit to follow through with this, I would like to believe there is more to it than a simple reference to terrorism in a letter. That term does not by itself equate to a threat of lethal force so one must conclude that there had to be an actual threat of some sort within the unpublished part of the letter.
    craigc, outlander and dannyb like this.

I would hope the perceived bias is not a factor?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Sounds like a witch hunt to me....councilor has a word in the cops ear to make life difficult for this guy and here we are.
    As far as I can see he has done nothing wrong but legal protest and no threatening action at all?
    Maca49 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

In the context of recent threats to DOC staff and potentially dangerous incidents this guy loosing his FAL is the only response the police could reasonably take. One gunshot in the vicinity of DOC workers on the Coast and the police would be facing ranting journalists forcing them to explain why any anti-1080 protester still has a FAL. If tensions were not already so high it could be handled differently, but not in this context.
    kiwijames, BRADS, Moutere and 1 others like this.

What happened to the guy that assaulted Scribe? Or did that not happen?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    In the context of recent threats to DOC staff and potentially dangerous incidents this guy loosing his FAL is the only response the police could reasonably take. One gunshot in the vicinity of DOC workers on the Coast and the police would be facing ranting journalists forcing them to explain why any anti-1080 protester still has a FAL. If tensions were not already so high it could be handled differently, but not in this context.
    Citation please!

Where? When? and exactly what was the threat you are accusing this man of?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.