Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: The anti gun lobby

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Whether you like it or not, a FAL isn't an inherent, irrevocable entitlement held by all citizens or all human beings from the moment of birth in NZ. Therefore it's a privilege. It is what it is.

Yeah well, you rely on comedians for your legal analysis...

I will maintain my rights under the law while they exist in the law. Pretty sure I have a more complete argument..

I am a bit concerned that you don't seem to know what legal rights are. Wandering around with the idea that everything is just a privilege is going to get you in a power of shit.

Lets just ignore the "God given" red herring, and the somewhat weird idea that legal rights can somehow only exist if they apply to all people for all time, and are irrevocable....

You know stepping back a little from this....

I haven't seen a concise definition of the word privilege that includes the following but it would seem to me that there is a component that we haven't talked about in the meaning of the word....

If a privilege is extended, it would seem that it is discretionary, and not obligated..... feasibly it can be withdrawn at whim (not being subject to obligation)...

- The granting of a firearms licence cannot be withheld without the applicant failing to meet the required standard - not discretionary

- The cancellation of a Firearms licence cannot be at the whim of the policing authority, it again is subject to the law before that can occur - not discretionary

Damm - don't think its a privilege after all.... everybody who does, please reassume the position.
    carlhurley, misfire and Banana like this.

Sidney, we are all safe as long as you are carrying the cudgel! FALs are in good hands, just keep it swinging and hit the right people!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I doubt that Macca... but I do love a good argument ....

I am however aware that the ole internet is not a particularly good conveyance of body language and tone, and apparently my style of prose may be more direct/abrasive than its intention.... for that I apologise to those feeling abraded ....

Mate we need people like you whatever we think. There is a common goal here as you well know, older guys I think just get a little cynical about these and other matters.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Whether you like it or not, a FAL isn't an inherent, irrevocable entitlement held by all citizens or all human beings from the moment of birth in NZ. Therefore it's a privilege. It is what it is.
    A right is defined as a legal entitlement to have or do something. Nowhere does it say that a legal entitlement has to be inherent, irrevocable and applied to all humans to be classed as a right. No rights would meet that definition.

The fit and proper have a legal entitlement to be issued a FAL. A FAL is therefore a legal right for the fit and proper.

privilege
    an advantage, immunity, permission, right, or benefit granted or available only to a particular person or group

Something can be both a right and a privilege. The problem with referring to rights as privileges, is that privilege usually refers to a permission, allowance, benefit, etc that is not legally guaranteed. ie. the privilege to hunt on someone else’s land.

Saying a FAL is a privilege and not a right is incorrect. A FAL is a legally guaranteed right for the fit and proper.
    veitnamcam, EeeBees, ebf and 2 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Mate we need people like you whatever we think. There is a common goal here as you well know, older guys I think just get a little cynical about these and other matters.
    Who you callin old Willis?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I am becoming concerned that a deity often referred to by the dyslexic as dog is being mentioned so frequently in this thread.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I am becoming concerned that a deity often referred to by the dyslexic as dog is being mentioned so frequently in this thread.
    Some folks like fairy tails

Or they are just superstitious

Rights are only rights as long as you stand up for them-the only person who gives you them is you and your actions
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post

Rights are only rights as long as you stand up for them-the only person who gives you them is you and your actions
    Exactly. Purposely referring to your rights as privileges shows that you aren't prepared to stand up for them.
    misfire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    Purposely referring to your rights as privileges shows that you aren't prepared to stand up for them.
    Banana there are a number of forum members here who have family that have given the ultimate sacrifice so that you can live in this country and enjoy the freedom to say what you want on this forum and a number of them who have themselves survived serving in theatres of war to further preserve that position for you. On behalf of them all I take considerable exception to what you have said above.
    Savage1, ebf, Toby and 1 others like this.

Now that I re-read it, it did come off a bit cunty. I didn't intend it to. What I'm trying to say is, privilege gives the impression that you acknowledge you aren't legally, socially or ethically entitled to something, and would be prepared to relinquish it without issue.
    veitnamcam and misfire like this.

ebf
    Privilege could just as well give the impression that you are thankful for those freedoms, and appreciate the sacrifices of those that fought to ensure them.

Remember as well that different people attach different levels of importance to these "rights". If I had to choose between the privilege/right to a decent education, functioning justice system, ability to vote in democratic election versus owning firearms that I use for recreational purposes, it would not take me all that long to choose...
    Savage1 likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Don't worry guys another good war will sort our rights without privileges, your rights to own a firearm as as good as you collecting a pension, be nervous
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Who you callin old Willis?
    Cap fit?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Cap fit?
    Snugly.