Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Buying Ammo

Bus driver
    Get over it mate... it’s all good... was being merely facetious....it has always been where you are located... merely pointing out my position
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    the entirety of the section says this:

Section 43(3)(a): amended, on 1 November 1992, by section 20(b) of the Arms Amendment Act 1992 (1992 No 95).

43A Mail order sale of firearm or ammunition
    (1)
    Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000 who sells by mail order a firearm or any ammunition for a firearm or restricted weapon otherwise than pursuant to a written order—
    (a)
    signed by the purchaser; and
    (b)
    bearing an endorsement signed by a member of the Police and stating that the member of the Police—
    (i)
    has inspected the purchaser’s firearms licence; and
    (ii)
    is satisfied that the purchaser is a fit and proper person to purchase that firearm or ammunition.
    (2)
    Nothing in this section applies in relation to—
    (a)
    any pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm; or
    (b)
    any ammunition for a firearm to which paragraph (a) or paragraph (b) or paragraph (c) of section 22(1) applies.
    Section 43A: inserted, on 1 November 1992, by section 21 of the Arms Amendment Act 1992 (1992 No 95).

Section 43A(1): amended, on 1 July 2013, by section 413 of the Criminal Procedure Act 2011 (2011 No 81).

43B Restriction on sales of ammunition
    (1)
    Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000 who sells or supplies ammunition for any firearm or restricted weapon to a person who is not—
    (a)
    the holder of a firearms licence; or
    (b)
    a licensed dealer.
    (2)
    In any prosecution for an offence against subsection (1) in which it is proved that the defendant sold or supplied ammunition for a firearm or restricted weapon to any person, the burden of proving that that person was—
    (a)
    (b)
    a licensed dealer,—
    shall lie on the defendant.

(3)
    It is a good defence to a prosecution for an offence against subsection (1) if the defendant proves—
    (a)
    that the ammunition was supplied to a person for use under the immediate supervision of the holder of a firearms licence; and
    (b)
    that at all times while the person to whom the ammunition was supplied was in possession of the ammunition, that person was under the immediate supervision of the holder of a firearms licence.
    (4)
    A defendant may, in the case of a prosecution for an offence against subsection (1), discharge the burden of proof placed on the defendant by subsection (2) by proving that the defendant took reasonable steps to ascertain whether the person to whom the ammunition was sold or supplied was—
    (a)
    (b)
    a licensed dealer.
    (5)
    Nothing in this section applies in relation to any ammunition for a firearm to which paragraph (a) or paragraph (b) or paragraph (c) of section 22(1) applies.

So, in event of an alleged breach, the onus is on the shop to prove the purchaser was a licence holder, and if the shop did take reasonable steps to ensure the purchaser was licensed then it is OK.

Insofar as complying with the law, I do not see any better way to ask the purchaser to produce the license.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    It's plain common sense that proof of having a FAL in the first instance is the FAL card. It even says New Zealand Firearms Licence with your picture on it. I doubt many shop staff are going to go to the trouble of contacting an Arms Officer to validate that you're a firearms licence holder and also obtain proof that you are who you say you are. Especially when the shop is busy.

I've walked into at least two gun shops to buy ammo and had forgotten my card. The staff had know issue validating that I am a license holder. A phone call to the AO and 1 minute later, and I was on my way.

In regards to our history, the card is a relatively new thing - But it's not the actual licence of the person.
    A330driver likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    In regards to our history, the card is a relatively new thing - But it's not the actual licence of the person.
    True, but the card does say, "New Zealand Firearms Licence" not "New Zealand Firearms Licence Holder".

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    True, but the card does say, "New Zealand Firearms Licence" not "New Zealand Firearms Licence Holder".
    Are you sure about that?

Name:  Brogan-License.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  345.7 KB
    A330driver likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    Ah! Good one. It says both.