Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Change to expired license laws

Change to expired license laws

From Act.

After years of pressure, we are pleased to let you know that the Government has announced sweeping new changes to firearms licensing in New Zealand. This is a great result. I want to thank the many of you who have contacted me over the past few years with your insights and feedback. Our continued advocacy has put the pressure on the Government, and we are seeing the outcomes.

The amendment means that licences will remain in effect until new applications are fully processed, so people will no longer be left in limbo as their licence expires while they are waiting to hear about their renewal. To be eligible for this you must apply for renewal before your current license expires.

Renewed licences will also take effect from the date of issue rather than the date of expiry. This will go a long way to gradually crushing the bell curve that exists from the shift from lifetime to 10 yearly firearms licences in 1992. Dealers will also be pleased to know that this new extension will also apply to them.

The amendment also means police can issue notices and documents electronically. ACT is supportive of this on the condition that receipt must be acknowledged. We will monitor this through the Select Committee process and ensure it receives the scrutiny it deserves.

It is fantastic that our dogged advocacy for licensed firearms owners has led to real change. I hope this will be a weight off many peoples’ shoulders who were stressed about the expiration of their licence.

This will create a safer regime where people aren’t forced to relocate firearms when their licences expire, and will mean law-abiding New Zealanders aren’t inconvenienced while trying to do the right thing.

The ACT Party is here to make a difference and bring about real change. We are proud to stand up for New Zealand’s law-abiding firearms community.

That is some good news for licence holders, I hope it is made clear when you send in your renewal application that the old licence is valid until the new one arrives.

"Wow" Common Sense at last!

MB
    Some rare good news. ACT will be getting at least one of my votes next time around.
    jakewire, Trout, Maca49 and 9 others like this.

One small win for common sense.
    Well done Act .
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Good news.

So does that mean my current expired license will be valid again? I've had my interview just waiting for it to come in the mail, was told 6-8weeks

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean-hunter View Post
    So does that mean my current expired license will be valid again? I've had my interview just waiting for it to come in the mail, was told 6-8weeks
    https://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill...&p=1#LMS777237

Provided that you have reapplied before the expiry of your current (now expired) licence,and presumably you have because you've had the interview, and also providing that the Bill is passed by the Parliament, you have still got a current, valid, licence. Read the Bill - it's pretty simple and basic.
    Technically it has to receive Royal Assent before it becomes law but I think it could be shown to be an abuse of law to attempt to prosecute anybody before that time.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Excellent news
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean-hunter View Post
    Reading the info on the parliament website about the process for a bill to become law, the select committee usually gets 6 months to consider a bill
    Hopefully a simple one like this gets through a hell of a lot quicker, but I'm picking you will have your new license before the law changes.

Go here https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/bill...nces-amendment to follow the process through the Parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Reading the info on the parliament website about the process for a bill to become law, the select committee usually gets 6 months to consider a bill
    Hopefully a simple one like this gets through a hell of a lot quicker, but I'm picking you will have your new license before the law changes.
    We know they have rammed other stuff through in a week when it suited them...

Also helps the Police, pressure off processing. it's a no brainer Win, Win

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Also helps the Police, pressure off processing. it's a no brainer Win, Win
    Yes finally they have showed they had no brains.
    And now have some

Looks like they're giving it the hurry-up through the Parliament.

https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/sc/m...nces-amendment
    Submissions close midnight THIS THURSDAY.

Seems like a good time to tell them how they've finally found some common-sense and should push this through.
    Marty Henry likes this.