Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Question re Licencing interview & Storage when Arms will never be present in a flat.

Question re Licencing interview & Storage when Arms will never be present in a flat.

My son is getting interviewed re his licence shortly.
    He is in rental accommodation and has explained that he won't be keeping any rifles as they would be stored with me.
    The guy has indicated that this is not acceptable and he has to see something. (he is being very reasonable around seeing something)

Anyone had any experience around this.

I have just suggested that my son show the guy page 6 of the Police Storage and some eye bolts and a cable and padlock through a beam in the roof space.
    https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf

Other thing he could try is to change his address back to my place as he's a student in the big smoke.
    ZQ
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 22-09-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Surely there is someone in your neck of the woods that could check your safe on behalf of your son's interviewer and give the thumbs up. That is where "his" rifles will be stored after all.

I believe if you have a fal you MUST have storage available where you reside normally regardless of your intentions. At least this was indicated (i was told this at my last renewal)
    veitnamcam, 199p, sgteval and 4 others like this.

A mate had the same issues if you want to hold a license then you need security to hold a firearm.
    Even if you don't have one.
    He only needed a chain and padlock around his hotwater cylinder.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Your son will have to get a safe installed in that case. Short of moving back home.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 22-09-2022 at 06:55 PM.
    deer243 likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    A mate had the same issues if you want to hold a license then you need security to hold a firearm.
    Even if you don't have one.
    He only needed a chain and padlock around his hotwater cylinder.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    The chain and padlock around the hot water cylinder was enough for my brother in law's inspection.
    Sideshow likes this.

A co worker had his safe failed today because it had exposed hinges and its bolted to a steel column but not the floor, so he has to go buy a new safe.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan88 View Post
    A co worker had his safe failed today because it had exposed hinges and its bolted to a steel column but not the floor, so he has to go buy a new safe.
    The police guidelines say internal or protected hinges, so he may be able to get some sort of shield welded over the hinges.
    It has been in the guidelines for years that safes must be fixed to two surfaces.
    sgteval and Growlybear like this.

Yet as obove in other cases a chain and padlock around a hot water cylinder is adequate?

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    Yet as obove in other cases a chain and padlock around a hot water cylinder is adequate?
    Yep, mad eh?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    The guy has indicated that this is not acceptable and he has to see something. (he is being very reasonable around seeing something)
    I'm not sure it is that reasonable. Where are firearms safer, chained to a hot water tank in temporary student digs in a big city, or back home with dad on the country estate?

Fairly common occurrence but they usually accept the bare minimum for security in these circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I believe if you have a fal you MUST have storage available where you reside normally regardless of your intentions. At least this was indicated (i was told this at my last renewal)
    Nope (but then again, some of this stuff seems to be very hit and miss depending on which arms officer etc you deal with and their interpretation of things..) but there is a forum member on here who doesnt post much these days and is a bit of a vagrant and a bum walking his way around the south island and he did his renewal recently and used my address and safe as the place he would be storing his firearms
    Sideshow and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Nope (but then again, some of this stuff seems to be very hit and miss depending on which arms officer etc you deal with and their interpretation of things..) but there is a forum member on here who doesnt post much these days and is a bit of a vagrant and a bum walking his way around the south island and he did his renewal recently and used my address and safe as the place he would be storing his firearms
    Ye old hobbit
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Thanks Guy's. The inspector has said as long as son gives him proof of storage after the interview he will be OK.
    I suggested to son that a couple of eye bolts in the back of the wardrobe and a cable and padlock as per page 6 of the Police firearms storage booklet.

Had not through of a chain around the hot water cylinder. Thats an easy thing to show and is non invasive for a flat.
    Z