Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Cop beaten and side arm taken.

Look up Elmer Keith sometime.....

Amongst his noted feats is the shooting of an Elk, wounded by his hunting partner with a rifle, at 500 odd yards with a .44 magnum revolver. He was a famous long range pistol shooter, and the father of the .44 mag cartridge.

Pistols are a lot more accurate than often thought, just a lot harder to shoot accurately than a rifle.

Ejected
    And how are they for snap shooting gimp at say 30 metres?

Pretty good if you have some proper training, should see what good IPSC, USPSA etc shooters can do, even in production class, or the 'tactical' instructors like Frank Proctor, Chris Costa, etc etc

I'd link some videos but my wifi and ipad are conspiring against me.

Obviously no rifle in terms of accuracy and power but can still be pretty effective

When it comes to it the pistol 9mm pistol is pretty hopeless. All fine motor skills are lost including trigger control in a high danger situation so rounds get sprayed . The furthest a person in NZ has been shot by a Police pistol is 7 metres, people have been missed from much closer. 30m snap shooting may be achievable on a range with a fancy pistol but cannot be realistically expected by a Police Officer, or anyone, in a high stress situation with a glock, hence why they have an m4. The 9mm has much less stopping power than the .223 as well.
    Wirehunt likes this.

What Savage said ^^

Pistol -- very VERY easy to miss with, even at closer than 10 meters. It is very unfair to think that every cop is a Jerry Miculeck. This is not the movies.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Have a shotgun, sounds like they will have more luck hitting someone with it.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Slightly of topic here, but still relevant - I recently went through Christchurch Airport and with out thinking too hard about it, I walked past an armed police officer, who was helping some tourist's find the exit (?) or something. Thing was, this guy was totally distracted and as I walked behind him (very close) it would have been so easy to get my hands on that pistol. Scary to think about, and I hope I don't give some extremist an idea here.
    In the States, no one gets within an arms length of an armed officer.
    That's a huge change of culture that our cops would have to face if they were to carry a sidearm routinely.
    Savage1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    When it comes to it the pistol 9mm pistol is pretty hopeless. All fine motor skills are lost including trigger control in a high danger situation so rounds get sprayed . The furthest a person in NZ has been shot by a Police pistol is 7 metres, people have been missed from much closer. 30m snap shooting may be achievable on a range with a fancy pistol but cannot be realistically expected by a Police Officer, or anyone, in a high stress situation with a glock, hence why they have an m4. The 9mm has much less stopping power than the .223 as well.
    So you been training the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    What Savage said ^^

Pistol -- very VERY easy to miss with, even at closer than 10 meters. It is very unfair to think that every cop is a Jerry Miculeck. This is not the movies.
    My record about 40 yrs ago was 100 rounds for 1 hare is just not economical either

I should point out that I was responding to comments that its impossible to hit anything at all with a pistol, not talking about the Nz police

Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post
    In the States, no one gets within an arms length of an armed officer.
    I don't think this is true. It certainly isn't in Australia or Thailand, both countries with armed police. I doubt the US is any different. Can't be constantly spinning around suspiciously eyeing everyone who walks behind you all day.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I should point out that I was responding to comments that its impossible to hit anything at all with a pistol, not talking about the Nz police
    Jesus gimp, and it's not impossible to constantly hit a target a 1000 metres either. But I don't expect general cops to be shooting at half that range.

Again, I wasn't talking about the police, it's pretty common knowledge that their training is shit

I was responding to

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I'd like to see that. A good shot with a pistol will hit the barn door at 60 metres.

Which doesn't say anything about police, neither do my posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    So you been training the police?
    No way, I'm not even close to being qualified in any way to train the Police. I do know a bit about their training though.