Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Could it be so simple?

R93
    I am now a strictly a trophy hunter during the winter months. It is now the only time I will bother to bush hunt.

I do not hunt bush during the warmer months as there is no need.

Hunting country I know will produce the class of animal I want is the first step.
    I halve my time actually looking for animals by reading the sign. If I see sign that interests me I will try and get a look at the animal making it.
    If I catch up with it, I want to get a bloody good look at it.
    I am admittedly not that sharp at assessing them and have underestimated animals in the past. So I am never in a rush.

I am also fully aware the percentages of seeing a deer I want are really low in the first place as they are extremely rare.
    When I started out trophy hunting 10 years ago I was hunting with someone who has been doing it his whole life. I have ton of respect for this bloke. He told me of a big 10 he seen 2 years before in an area we were hunting. He was sure if it was alive it would be a good one.
    Long story short I found it and it was better than expected. To this day he is still the largest red I have seen on foot since I have been hunting.
    Anyway, a comment made by my mate was in the back of my mind as I watched this stag from 50 meters in open beech forest. "What ever you do , don't shoot it in the head ya filthy meat shooter, you will trash the head skin."

I could have shot this stag in the head 50 times over in the amount of time I spent watching it. I didn't, out of fear of dissappointing my mate. I never got that animal.
    Knowing what I do now, I really regret not drilling him behind the ear.😆

Since then I have only seen maybe 2 deer that I would want. One never showed back up and the other has someone else's name on it.
    But I am in no hurry and all going well I will find one in the next 20 years😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Gibo and Mathias like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    @HNTMAD can you honestly not see how having to identify sex and quality of an animal would not make people identify the target more clearly??? It's all about that extra 2 seconds it takes for people to have a better look then just snap shooting at a moving bush.
    Someone who snap shoots at a moving bush isn't identifying their target at all, and isn't going to start taking more care just because there is suddenly another rule on top of the ones they already ignore.
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Not at all Gravelben, I'm merely saying that if you want a meat animal there is the rest of the year to shoot one, say for example in spring when they are easy work and eating the good stuff, as opposed to going out in a very busy time of year and crowding a finite resource. That's what I believe the original post was about, curbing the 'I have to come home with something mentality' not changing laws.
    Fair enough, that makes more sense and I have a similar attitude to the roar - I mostly avoid hunting public bush (especially popular areas) at that time, happy to leave it to trophy hunters for a while and reduce my chances of encountering armed idiots.

northdude
    Its pretty simple don't shoot people
    R93 and HNTMAD like this.