Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree502Likes

Thread: Feeling sick after reading this !

When I was conducting the firearms safety lectures/exam for applicants for firearms licences in West Auckland back in the 1980s, the AO showed me an immaculately made stainless steel, semi automatic. 22 pistol. He asked me to tell him who the manufacturer was. There were no identifying marks on it, or the superb velvet-lined case it sat in. For those of you who are familiar with them, it was a clone of an AMT pistol. It had been taken off a drug dealer, and it had been made by "a very clever guy with a good workshop." It functioned perfectly and was very accurate, I was told. I wondered how many he had made.
    erniec, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    When I was conducting the firearms safety lectures/exam for applicants for firearms licences in West Auckland back in the 1980s, the AO showed me an immaculately made stainless steel, semi automatic. 22 pistol. He asked me to tell him who the manufacturer was. There were no identifying marks on it, or the superb velvet-lined case it sat in. For those of you who are familiar with them, it was a clone of an AMT pistol. It had been taken off a drug dealer, and it had been made by "a very clever guy with a good workshop." It functioned perfectly and was very accurate, I was told. I wondered how many he had made.
    It wouldnt be hard to make one if you had the right machine shop.

CNC milling and lathes these days are very accurate. You could actually just cut one off plans if you could ahold of some and the right materials and tooling. easy

40 plus years ago I was a Customs officer. Even back then most seizures were made on the basis of intelligence, both statistically based "profiling" and info based. The Dunedin office where I was last based used to get a couple of letters a week from the mates/opposition of crims dobbing them in out of spite, envy, patch protection etc. I doubt if it's changed much except for satellite surveillance of the 200 km zone and emails instead of paper letters.

Bugger all containers were searched back then apart from known high risk type shipments (Intel/profiling again) and it'll have gotten a lot less since then.
    stingray, Growlybear and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Why are you sure we would see these figures in Police press releases ? If releasing this information weakens the expected result of a firearms registry it would be suppressed. Most drugs do not come in shipping containers they come via large yachts, big money at stake and serious protection provided.
    I wasn't talking about figures, I was meaning photos of the weapons themselves, we'd be seeing machine pistols etc, not hunting shotguns and AR's.

Most drugs do not come in shipping containers they come via large yachts, big money at stake and serious protection provided. Do you have any actual things to back that up or is it just your idea?

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...pN4ba992x9qY8X

Honestly the reason we see less firearms seized is because the demand for meth and the profits associated with it far out strip those from firearms!

That said if we can import millions if not billions of $$ worth of meth to supply the local market, importing firearms along with it seems a very likely prospect.

A firearms register will do nothing to stop the illegal sale of firearms in NZ those that are already providing gangs with firearms already have a market to freely purchase from!

The police have no idea who owns what except for pistols and possibly some semi auto being used for pest control, to suggest that those that live on the fringes of society will register their firearms is joke! If the supply of locally available firearms dries up and the demand is there, I can guarantee illegal importation will rise above what it is presently..they cannot control the supply of meth into NZ ,a registry will do nothing to control the illegal sale and use of firearms in NZ either!

So this simply is a tax and another cost on the lawful fire owner!
    7mmwsm, tetawa, BSA and 9 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by HG Man View Post
    I wasn't talking about figures, I was meaning photos of the weapons themselves, we'd be seeing machine pistols etc, not hunting shotguns and AR's.

Most drugs do not come in shipping containers they come via large yachts, big money at stake and serious protection provided. Do you have any actual things to back that up or is it just your idea?
    I think half a ton of meth on 90 mile beach might back up his theory
    7mmwsm, stingray, erniec and 1 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I would suggest a lot of the "imports" are actually arriving afixed to the outside of merchant vessels. Most likely the vessels don't even know they are there.
    The reality is if a gang were organised (and had balls of steel) it would not be at all difficult to take a small speedboat in good weather out past 200nm line and tranship at sea.
    Small boats are hard to detect and in good weather some a capable of over 40kts sustained

Containers are also likely given the volume detection is a risk worth taking I guess.

Bad guys are hard to catch and dangerous and scary, where as law abiding are easy to find and not at all dangerous or scary!!
    I know a bloke who in the 90's was paid $1000,000 to ferry 16 tonnes of Hash to port from a yacht in a big ocean going jet boat. Was set up and served 13 years for the 1.5 tonne recovered

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    I'm fairly well involved with cnc machining and one of my jobs involved engraving serial numbers on handgun frames that were LEGALY imported into OZ. Yes it would be quite easy to make high quality firearms but not worth it for an established machine shop to risk as this video shows quality isn't required https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH76VoI_hsw
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I know a bloke who in the 90's was paid $1000,000 to ferry 16 tonnes of Hash to port from a yacht in a big ocean going jet boat. Was set up and served 13 years for the 1.5 tonne recovered
    Hope he got paid. Even if he was the hourly rate is a bit shit
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Illicit drugs and guns are worth megabucks. small ships/large yachts are considered disposable forms of delivery. The BIG quantities come via Island hopping South Pacific island boats, as most South Pacific officials are eminently bribable to look the other way. Once a few hundred kms from NZ waters they biff it all overboard with a Garmin attached. Paired Garmin in NZ then goes out to the co ordinates a while later and uplifts.

If you want to see what sort of money is involved, the people interviewed on this channel open your eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO25tusPIbM

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Illicit drugs and guns are worth megabucks. small ships/large yachts are considered disposable forms of delivery. The BIG quantities come via Island hopping South Pacific island boats, as most South Pacific officials are eminently bribable to look the other way. Once a few hundred kms from NZ waters they biff it all overboard with a Garmin attached. Paired Garmin in NZ then goes out to the co ordinates a while later and uplifts.

If you want to see what sort of money is involved, the people interviewed on this channel open your eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO25tusPIbM
    amazing . a million american a day!!

3D printing will make a lot of gun control irrelevant and registers only work if you can't destroy the number. The few LFO who have been caught on-selling were either a result of police incompetence (like tarrant) or from what I understand drug addiction. The addicts will sell their grandmother anyway and the whole system wont work if the police don't do the Fit and Popper checks. The rest is just taxation. Some of you need to clean the fecal matter of your noses.

[QUOTE=HG Man;1399813]I wasn't talking about figures, I was meaning photos of the weapons themselves, we'd be seeing machine pistols etc, not hunting shotguns and AR's.
    Playing devils advocate, if you wanted to make a point that illegal firearms come from legal owners, which seems to be the popular narrative, then the only photos you would show, would be of those firearms that would fit that aforementioned narrative. The average Joe cop may be ok , but those in charge are political as fark.
    300CALMAN and Moa Hunter like this.

[QUOTE=Growlybear;1399954]
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Man View Post
    Playing devils advocate, if you wanted to make a point that illegal firearms come from legal owners, which seems to be the popular narrative, then the only photos you would show, would be of those firearms that would fit that aforementioned narrative. The average Joe cop may be ok , but those in charge are political as fark.
    Yeah, it could be. I've sent off an OIA asking for gun seizure statistics from the gang Op they ran last year, so when that eventually gets back to me, I'll be sure to post the results up here.

[QUOTE=HG Man;1400085]
    Quote Originally Posted by Growlybear View Post

Yeah, it could be. I've sent off an OIA asking for gun seizure statistics from the gang Op they ran last year, so when that eventually gets back to me, I'll be sure to post the results up here.
    It will be interesting to see how many replicas, soft air and blank firing pistols are lumped in with cartridge firing pistols.
    Growlybear likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’