Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Firearm safety course theory test

Firearm safety course theory test

Going to be sitting the safety course this coming weekend. Just wondering what sort of questions I should expect in the theory test? Has anyone done this recently? I have memorised the 7 basic rules and have read the arms code. I intend to study the arms code in further detail throughout this week. I have also completed the 3 practise quiz modules on the NZ Police site which I managed to pass easily enough.

Cheers!
    Trout likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    It's only been 36 years since I did it, but I expect it's still the same - it's all about safe handling of firearms - keep that in mind when answering (and the 7 rules) and you will be fine.

Do the modules they’ve got most of the questions in them just worded differently. Bottom off page linked below.

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...ing?nondesktop

Quote Originally Posted by Northlandnewbie View Post
    Do the modules they’ve got most of the questions in them just worded differently. Bottom off page linked below.

Second this.

Also read through the arms code as many times as you can before your test, this won't only benefit you for test purposes, but will help your brain remember in the long run. Leave a copy in the toilet too.

You'll get 2 chances to take it on the day (my group did).
    Bol Tackshin and 40mm like this.

Yeah I have gone through the practise test questions and was able to pass it without any issues.
    rugerman and Bol Tackshin like this.

I remembering it being dam near impossible to get any of the questions wrong.
    Just use common sense and you will breeze through it.
    Steve123, Moa Hunter and PadLo like this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post
    Yeah I have gone through the practise test questions and was able to pass it without any issues.
    The one I posted is different to the 3 you’re talking about. These modules give info then have a test based on it. I found it more informative than the arms code which has a couple of things incorrect like 15 round semi auto .22 etc.

Our group was 9 people I think and we had 4 30/30 and 3 fails which took test again at the end so unsure if they passed. To be fair there was a clear line between those that studied and those who didn’t have a clue and tried to wing it.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

The one I posted is different to the 3 you’re talking about. These modules give info then have a test based on it. I found it more informative than the arms code which has a couple of things incorrect like 15 round semi auto .22 etc.

Our group was 9 people I think and we had 4 30/30 and 3 fails which took test again at the end so unsure if they passed. To be fair there was a clear line between those that studied and those who didn’t have a clue and tried to wing it.
    Oh, apologies - I see what you're talking about now. Yeah, I plan on going through the modules this week.

Relax and take your time. Its not a race. Sometimes the wording alone can be interpreted both ways. Sounds like you have done the prep, just keep it fresh in your mind and you'll be sweet.
    Tall kiwi likes this.

its pretty much common sense .
    treat yer firearm as loaded etc

If some of the questions can be interpreted 2 ways, always go for the best safety option.
    Rusky, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    It's only been 36 years since I did it, but I expect it's still the same - it's all about safe handling of firearms - keep that in mind when answering (and the 7 rules) and you will be fine.
    Yes, it's a safety exam, not about firearms in general.

I got one wrong in the test, which was allowed.

It talked about semiauto rifles (back in them days!).

- disadvantage is people may not aim properly because they can take a follow-up shot.
    - when you let go of the trigger another round is ready to be fired.

I selected the first, it was a clear cut animal welfare vs dickheads point. But "wrong". As this was a SAFETY exam the second option was the "right" answer. Duh.

I maintain to this day that I was a victim of police entrapment. )-:<
    Rusky and Moa Hunter like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

For the life of me I can't remember which question, but when I sat mine I got a question wrong which I queried and was told yes I was wrong. So I then got out the arms code and showed the instructor that I had actually got it right and their cheat sheet of answers was wrong.

When I did my test about a decade back, only one question stumped me and it was about which rounds of ammo fit into a handgun or something along those lines. Not really much to do with safety, but at the end the examiner talked me through that question (which was the one question i got wrong) and everything was good to go.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Its ironic but i reckon they leave an incorrect one in there. It could be a chance to peek behind a persons carefully hidden rage if they cant handle a minor thing like that...should they be trusted with a rifle?

Failing that, i gotta say there are some subjective opinions posed as questions in there. Worshipping glow vis clothing when it can demonstratably cause fatalities in certain light conditions. Its no cure for itchy trigger fingers and egos.