Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Firearms officer inspection after change of address

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Well that is interesting too. All my bolts are stored in my rifles. Best way to lose them is to separate them. As far as I'm aware the ONLY time the law requires us to separate the bolt from the rifle is when transporting them - a recent change at that. My guy had no issue with bolts being in my rifles. Don't let cops make law on the fly.
    Quite so! Removing the bolt is not in the act amendment except for transportation in a vehicle
    JessicaChen and 20 Bore like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Well that is interesting too. All my bolts are stored in my rifles. Best way to lose them is to separate them. As far as I'm aware the ONLY time the law requires us to separate the bolt from the rifle is when transporting them - a recent change at that. My guy had no issue with bolts being in my rifles. Don't let cops make law on the fly.
    that might be ok under new law if all the ammo is also under lock n key.....a few trigger locks would go a long way to making it slower for baddie who does get your safe open till he has one he can use.

Gone but not forgotten
    Because of the new transport rules I bought a trigger lock and a cable lock for my single shot and lever action. I keep them on the rifles in the safe - mainly coz I'm too lazy to take them off after unloading the car...

Does ammo lock and key.. Mean you can have it in a outhouse th at is locked. But ammo isn't locked up a such in there. But the out house is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    They are allowed to ensure that you are storing your firearms without the bolts or with a cable / trigger lock in place; this is the only reason to look at your firearms.
    That was not my understanding. Those requirement were for when transiting and leaving it in the vehicle for short periods. When at home, as long as they are secured in a safe of some sort then trigger locks are suggested but not required. Its likely that most people may not own as many trigger locks as they do firearms......
    Got-ya and Jhon like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    That was not my understanding. Those requirement were for when transiting and leaving it in the vehicle for short periods. When at home, as long as they are secured in a safe of some sort then trigger locks are suggested but not required. Its likely that most people may not own as many trigger locks as they do firearms......
    Absolutely correct. Amazing what misinformation gets around.
    Slug and timattalon like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    Mine wasn't interested in S/Ns but asked me how many I had IN FRONT OF MY WIFE!
    Ha Ha Ha...If i catch you right.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Trigger locks are fine if you have two firearms. When the numbers get up it becomes impractical to have a trigger lock on everyone - especially when the Law does not require it anyway.
    Yeah, nah, it isn't impractical if you get digital combination locks.
    I have combination locks for all my gun cases and ammunition boxes and now combination trigger locks.
    No farfing around with keys, you can have the same combination or different if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Yeah, nah, it isn't impractical if you get digital combination locks.
    I have combination locks for all my gun cases and ammunition boxes and now combination trigger locks.
    No farfing around with keys, you can have the same combination or different if you wish.
    would pay to check on that...you cant use same key...for ammunition and rifles....or so I RECENTLY READ.... not that it makes a hoot of difference if baddie had the universal key at hand/aka the cordless angle grinder with cutting disc. or even a sharp file as I once found out when wifey was away with my set of keys and guns were locked in cabinet...amazing how quick a file goes through a padlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    would pay to check on that...you cant use same key...for ammunition and rifles....or so I RECENTLY READ.... not that it makes a hoot of difference if baddie had the universal key at hand/aka the cordless angle grinder with cutting disc. or even a sharp file as I once found out when wifey was away with my set of keys and guns were locked in cabinet...amazing how quick a file goes through a padlock.
    Key, what key, is a combination a key?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Can you provide a reference or link to where you may have read this?

Is a combination a key?

If someone has one of my locked containers long enough to either break or decode the combination lock or break into the container then it doesn't matter as security has been breached.

Like most security it is intended to deter the casual thief not the determined one.

Yes I am in Australia I remember the so-called buyback happended you've got your words wrong it's called a stealback nothing but a load of shit .
    I bet you really feel safe in your bed at night not

Just to stir the pot, from northland firearms dept, you do not need to fit a trigger lock if travelling directly to you shooting ground, the amendments explain this although the way it is written is very confusing.
    outlander likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Can you provide a reference or link to where you may have read this?

Is a combination a key?

If someone has one of my locked containers long enough to either break or decode the combination lock or break into the container then it doesn't matter as security has been breached.

Like most security it is intended to deter the casual thief not the determined one.
    From the Arms Regulation 1992 (updated by an Order in Council recently)
    (4) In addition to the condition in subclause (1)(b) relating to ammunition, ammunition must be stored—
    (a) in its own secure storage container (such as a cash box or an ammunition box that is in secure storage or in a stout locked cupboard) that has—
    (i) a locking mechanism that has a key or combination number that is different from the key or combination number for the person’s container for firearms; or
    (ii) a padlock that has a key or combination number that is different from the key or combination number for the person’s container for firearms; or
    (b) in a lock box in a gun safe cabinet that has a different key from the key for the gun safe cabinet, and the key for the gun safe cabinet must be stored in a different place from the other key; or ...
    Cyclops likes this.

Mine was good. I actually rang them first, the guy came around to help me choose the best place to put the safe in my house and give them an idea of what i planned to do to comply.

The guy left it up to me to interpret the Act amendments but basically I now have ammo stored in lockbox in safe with different keys for both, bolts in another small safe with a few other failsafes in there as well.

When the guy came to do the full inspection he just shook the absolute shit out of the gun safe and that was essentially it.

All happened in under a fortnight