Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Firearms in Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    This aspect of the law is a total pain in the arse. There have been a few threads about it recently. Not sure what they do in other countries.
    They carry them in the states, either open or concealed haha
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

When i had my AR15 and was on a hunting trip and ended up going out for tea. I brought it into the restaurant broken down in a backpack, left the ammo and bolt in the car.
    That's the one good side of a takedown rifle i guess. Just dont go toilet and leave the backpack there.

Toying with the idea of swapping out my T3 308 for a takedown bergara for similar reason. But no real gain apart from a few more grams.
    40mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    This aspect of the law is a total pain in the arse. There have been a few threads about it recently. Not sure what they do in other countries.
    Norway:

If you remove a part vital to the firearms operation it ceases to be a firearm.So just take the bolt/slide/forearm off it and take it with you.

If you have an approved gunsafe bolted to your car,you can leave assembled firearms in it.
    199p, gadgetman, Cyclops and 3 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Banned
    Consider how a Judge would view the case of firearms in a vehicle if it was brought before them.
    If the owner had taken all practical steps to stow their firearms in a way that meant they could not be removed easily from the vehicle and misused and had stowed their firearms in the same manner as the Police themselves do in vehicles I think the case would be dismissed.
    That means a lock box, a cable lock through the action, chamber flag and ideally disabled firearm with bolt removed. Not hard to make a carpet lined lockbox from 20mm ply.
    I carry firearms in a vehicle with a cable lock, chamber flag and bolt removed. What happens if there is a Police checkpoint for a nut job with a firearm or I am involved in an accident and Police have to clear the scene ?
    10-Ring, 6x47, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    It's not hard, just use common sense. If you have to make an urgent toilet stop or catch a maggot pack, make sure your vehicle is locked and the firearm out of sight and as a precaution take the bolt with you if it's a bolt action. You could also inform the cashier, if it's a petrol station to keep an eye on your vehicle.
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    A farmer I know always carries his .308 on the back seat of his truck. He went down to Auckland for the first time in 20 years or something. Left the rifle in it's usual place, thinking nothing of it. Inevitably his car got broken in to overnight. They stole everything apart from the .308. Silly bugger!
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Consider how a Judge would view the case of firearms in a vehicle if it was brought before them.
    If the owner had taken all practical steps to stow their firearms in a way that meant they could not be removed easily from the vehicle and misused and had stowed their firearms in the same manner as the Police themselves do in vehicles I think the case would be dismissed.
    That means a lock box, a cable lock through the action, chamber flag and ideally disabled firearm with bolt removed. Not hard to make a carpet lined lockbox from 20mm ply.
    I carry firearms in a vehicle with a cable lock, chamber flag and bolt removed. What happens if there is a Police checkpoint for a nut job with a firearm or I am involved in an accident and Police have to clear the scene ?
    You're probably right, but I would rather avoid being up before a judge in the first place.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    It's not hard, just use common sense. If you have to make an urgent toilet stop or catch a maggot pack, make sure your vehicle is locked and the firearm out of sight and as a precaution take the bolt with you if it's a bolt action. You could also inform the cashier, if it's a petrol station to keep an eye on your vehicle.
    It's not hard if you're just driving to/from your hunting trip, but if you're doing a road trip or doing the campervan thing with bit of hunting thrown in, it gets more complicated.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    A lot of people have a secure firearms lockup in their caravans and campervans.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

has disappointed the wife a few times when I have said nah sorry cant do that, cant leave the car - If we're off hunting normally only stop at a servo or cafe that I can park in front of with sight of the car. Ensure nothing left in plain sight etc etc

I am looking for a 4x4 hunting wagon of some variety - I will likely install a lockup in that - If your rifle is unloaded, disabled and secured to the same standard as required at home I cant see you being in trouble for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsol View Post
    has disappointed the wife a few times when I have said nah sorry cant do that, cant leave the car - If we're off hunting normally only stop at a servo or cafe that I can park in front of with sight of the car. Ensure nothing left in plain sight etc etc

I am looking for a 4x4 hunting wagon of some variety - I will likely install a lockup in that - If your rifle is unloaded, disabled and secured to the same standard as required at home I cant see you being in trouble for that.
    Worst part is now days it's illegal to leave someone in the car while you go for piss unless they have a licence.
    Cyclops and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    ........................The law is an arse.

How well will it work if you need to go to the bank (or cafe) on your long trip?
    You take your firearms soft or hard case with you.
    The bank won't let you in.
    Nek minute the AOS come racing around the corner ....
    Perhaps not.

Today, I took my 1900's 12 gauge hammer, rolled wire barreled shotgun to the gunsmith for his opinion on safety for firing. I had expected to leave it with him but he did the task on the spot and I had to take it away....which was a little inconvenient as supermarket shopping was next on my "to do list".

I decided not to leave it in the car, nor go home and then return to the Countdown supermarket, so slung the gun inside the padded bag diagonally across my back and wheeled the trolley around, completed the shopping, did the check out after waiting in queue, had a discussion with check out supervisor re undercharging and all with no "looks" or questions.

Name:  20210129_153610[1].jpg
Views: 623
Size:  8.00 MB
    Cyclops and 7RMBoy like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Perhaps not.

Today, I took my 1900's 12 gauge hammer, rolled wire barreled shotgun to the gunsmith for his opinion on safety for firing. I had expected to leave it with him but he did the task on the spot and I had to take it away....which was a little inconvenient as supermarket shopping was next on my "to do list".

I decided not to leave it in the car, nor go home and then return to the Countdown supermarket, so slung the gun inside the padded bag diagonally across my back and wheeled the trolley around, completed the shopping, did the check out after waiting in queue, had a discussion with check out supervisor re undercharging and all with no "looks" or questions.

Attachment 159144
    All good and well you didn't get stopped, but for me I will have a visible cable lock and chamber flag 'when I take a gun to town' as well as the gun bag. Better that than being in the wrong place at the wrong time say during an AOS response and getting a 'black mark' for carrying a complete firearm that could be stolen from your person while you are bent over checking the cucumbers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

BSA
    "Thou Shalt Not Leave Firearms In An Unattended Vehicle".
    So says NZ's Arms Code. Is it legislated in Law or a directive from those who administer the NZ Arms Code. I daresay if it was to reach a Courtroom a Judge would adjudicate on circumstances. ie What constitutes an "Unattended" vehicle. The best analogy is the Richard Lincoln case whereby he carried his Firearm(s) into a public toilet rather than leave them in an unattended vehicle as per the letter of the "Code". A complaint was made, Lincoln was arrested by Police Officers ignorant of the Law/Code but after much ado was dismissed in a Court of Law, incidentally after much obfuscation, delivery of false testimony, and outright lying by the Police Officers involved. It is a very interesting case to read. I assume this will have to be tried again given the new legislation coming into effect from 24/12/2020. Remember folks 95% of NZ Police Officers are completely ignorant of the Laws they are paid to enforce. Read the Rules and know your Rights and be prepared for a world of grief if you happen to be the "Guinea Pig" in another test case.
    veitnamcam and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Perhaps not.

Attachment 159144
    That could be a useful side effect of a large chunk of the general public not knowing one end of a firearm from the other. As long as it is in a case they may not recognise it for what it is and get in a panic expecting lead to start flying .

Any one know of a guitar case going cheap ?
    born to hunt - forced to work