Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Firearms in Vehicles

MB
    My Bergara is 80cm fully assembled. Short enough not to draw attention. Broken down, you could take it anywhere. It's a shame I have to conceal it as if I'm doing something wrong, but that's the way things are now.

Out of sight in a locked pelican case in locked vehicle , bolt comes with me if I leave the vehicle to go into shop etc .
    That doesn’t mean I would leave it overnight etc , just for short periods away from the car .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

good luck getting past the great big black dog sitting in car with rifle.......and even better luck doing so without me hearing the screams as she takes hunk out of arm....wife n I pretty good at taking turns waiting in wagon if we have bangstick onboard....

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    You would have to be pretty dumb to leave a rifle in a vehicle while you went hunting, I heard of two hunters vehicles broken into on Sunday, parked beside a major highway, and only a couple of km from where I parked on Friday. You would get no sympathy from the police, or from me.
    Hey Cigar, rough region or on which highway.....not looking for info on ya spot

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by #the creeper View Post
    Hey Cigar, rough region or on which highway.....not looking for info on ya spot
    Kaimai summit, SH29

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    That could be a useful side effect of a large chunk of the general public not knowing one end of a firearm from the other. As long as it is in a case they may not recognise it for what it is and get in a panic expecting lead to start flying .

Any one know of a guitar case going cheap ?
    SHITt.....You gotta "Chicago Piano"?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    All good and well you didn't get stopped, but for me I will have a visible cable lock and chamber flag 'when I take a gun to town' as well as the gun bag. Better that than being in the wrong place at the wrong time say during an AOS response and getting a 'black mark' for carrying a complete firearm that could be stolen from your person while you are bent over checking the cucumbers.

If you read my post again you may see that i wrote " slung the gun inside the padded bag diagonally across my back.

Cucumbers or grapes, I suspect that I would be aware of anyone trying to remove it from me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    If you read my post again you may see that i wrote " slung the gun inside the padded bag diagonally across my back.

Cucumbers or grapes, I suspect that I would be aware of anyone trying to remove it from me.
    I didnt miss the gunbag. I would like to know what would happen if you were stopped by the Police, who then asked to see the firearm. I am sure that would of shrunk your zucchini and grapes. Do you have acceptable legal cause to carry it in the fruit and vege dept ?? Is it carried in a manner that prevents it being used if stolen etc etc.
    We all know the law is an ass but that doesnt excuse us from acting in a sensible way and leaving the firearms securely locked to a structure in the car with a part removed. If it was me, with a shotgun I would of taken the barrels with me in the gunbag and left the rest locked and covered in the car
    10-Ring and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    From the Arms Code (2013)
    https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...-code-2013.pdf

That's the official version.
    The law is an arse.

How well will it work if you need to go to the bank (or cafe) on your long trip?
    You take your firearms soft or hard case with you.
    The bank won't let you in.
    Nek minute the AOS come racing around the corner .....

A practical, but illegal solution is to always take your bolt(s) with you when you leave the vehicle.
    Then, at least, you're leaving an inoperative firearm in the locked vehicle. Cover/hide the firearm too.
    Steve123 and XR500 like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Thanks for posting link Cordite. Under offenses 'Carrying or possessing a firearm without a lawful, proper and sufficient purpose' Is hunting organic Broccoli in the supermarket 'proper and sufficient purpose' ? This is written in a way that Police have some discretion. The Police I know would take a dim view of firearms being carried into ordinary shops and not consider the purpose sufficient.
    Lets all be sensible and keep our noses clean. Build a lock box for your vehicle
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 30-01-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks for posting link Cordite. Under offenses 'Carrying or possessing a firearm without a lawful, proper and sufficient purpose' Is hunting organic Broccoli in the supermarket 'proper and sufficient purpose' ? This is written in a way that Police have some discretion. The Police I know would take a dim view of firearms being carried into ordinary shops and not consider the purpose sufficient.
    Lets all be sensible and keep our noses clean. Build a lock box for your vehicle
    Carrying to avoid breaking the specific law of leaving it in an unattended vehicle must be considered a lawful reason. That is the inference of the specific law.
    Cyclops, MB, ROKTOY and 3 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Carrying to avoid breaking the specific law of leaving it in an unattended vehicle must be considered a lawful reason. That is the inference of the specific law.
    Well Billy Joe, I have a song for you and Cordite and Kiwi Sapper https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...tr3xT_-g3LdWJV
    Steve123 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA View Post
    "Thou Shalt Not Leave Firearms In An Unattended Vehicle".
    So says NZ's Arms Code. Is it legislated in Law or a directive from those who administer the NZ Arms Code. I daresay if it was to reach a Courtroom a Judge would adjudicate on circumstances. ie What constitutes an "Unattended" vehicle. The best analogy is the Richard Lincoln case whereby he carried his Firearm(s) into a public toilet rather than leave them in an unattended vehicle as per the letter of the "Code". A complaint was made, Lincoln was arrested by Police Officers ignorant of the Law/Code but after much ado was dismissed in a Court of Law, incidentally after much obfuscation, delivery of false testimony, and outright lying by the Police Officers involved. It is a very interesting case to read. I assume this will have to be tried again given the new legislation coming into effect from 24/12/2020. Remember folks 95% of NZ Police Officers are completely ignorant of the Laws they are paid to enforce. Read the Rules and know your Rights and be prepared for a world of grief if you happen to be the "Guinea Pig" in another test case.
    My take in this case is that it was a certainty Lincoln would get the AOS called on himself, since he carried the slung semi in and out of, first a petrol station shop, and then secondly in and out of the public toilet, in Palmerston I think. Left plenty time for a police response and they caught up with him somewhere South of Christchurch. And he proved in court that the law is an ass and in the process demonstrated that cops lie and fabricate evidence. Police would of course only do that to people they've already determined are bad, so we are all safe-as-in-China from such happening to ourselves.

As it is, law society is a law to themselves, it is a private club, and they did not want to admit him in part based on this stunt, so what is legal is not necessarily OK for your career. One law degree wasted, and one man with study debts he can't pay. Don't hear much about RL these days, maybe he is keeping his head down sweeping the floors in some lawyer's office hoping to get in with the Law Society's good graces again. Freedom of speech, even if perfectly legitimate, does not apply to everyone.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    It's sensible for sure, but not legal.
    Cordite likes this.

Well Billy Joe, I have a song for you and Cordite and Kiwi Sapper https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...tr3xT_-g3LdWJV
    Since the law is so specific any reasonable person must conclude that taking the firearm with you is the only legal option. Avoiding breaking such a specific law must be considered reasonable reason.

I think the only way to get better laws is for Police to be tied up wasting a lot of time and effort with people obeying stupid laws. Police seem to be driving a lot of law changes nowadays so give them incentive to improve things.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!