Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Muppets walk amongst us

Banned

Muppets walk amongst us

Two days ago I was in a well known Rangiora sports shop. In walks a well known North Canterbury identity - (in fact an elected Councillor of high office), removes a rifle from a gun bag and places it on the gun counter action down and not visible. The rifle was placed so that the muzzle pointed directly at a woman standing at the general counter.
    I commented to another customer whom I know " look at that muppet, his rifle is pointing directly at that woman". The other customer replied " perhaps that's his wife " ?. When the rifle was lifted up I could see that the bolt was in it but was open.
    I feel a bit slack for not immediately intervening and telling the guy his firearm was not pointed in a safe direction. What is the appropriate step when we see this happen ?

I see you took the option of "tell a friend"
    tetawa, ebf, Gibo and 5 others like this.

Speak up man. Complaining on the Internet won't achieve much.
    tetawa, mikee, Ryan and 5 others like this.

Banned
    I feel bad that I did not say anything. The shop is not a public place, saying something could cause a scene depending on how it was taken and could make me unpopular with the shop owner. No excuses, I am reasonably assertive but still didn't act. In kicking this topic off I would like open some dialogue on 'what we should do' ? bit of a practice run if you like
    Taupohunter likes this.

I think you know what you should have done so what more do you want to hear? There are polite ways to call things out without ruffling feathers, although it sounds like they needed more than a ruffling anyway.
    257weatherby likes this.

"elected councillor of high office"...I guess he is the local mayor...was he getting rid of his gun or trading for another?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Yep, you should have said something. If it upset the shop owner, then he needed the facts of life addressed to him as well. The shop is not a public place in that it is private property and yet it is open to the public to just walk in form the street, in fact it is encouraged. Making a firearm safe and demonstrating that fact is something that should be carried out anywhere, regardless of whether it is private property or not.

I make a point of carrying my firearms pointing up whenever I take it to a shop, persons property, armourer or even on to a farm and when I meet someone there I make a point of demonstrating to them that it is inoperable; with the bolt action the bolt is always removed and magazine removed, with the semi it is action open and no magazine and with the single shots it is always broken. Sorry, I lie. The single shots I often carry broken and facing down when outside but I still make a point of carrying them one had, broken and facing upward when entering a premises. This way, anyone there is reassured at a glance that it is inoperable and carrying it one hand slightly in front of you I feel is the least threatening.

Anyone feel free to disagree or correct me, I am more than happy to adopt anyway that is safer.

With regard to addressing errant fellow Firearm Owners, I do understand the reticence. How many times do other people really tell another Kiwi what they think of their driving? Not as often as we should. I think the same goes for the carrying and use of firearms.

Ready for the Flames.....

Cheers
    Phil
    I tell other drivers what I think all the time, usually with a hand gesture

I was in a shop one time (Mt Eden, two gunshops next to one another) and a guy walks in with a rifle (270, 3006, 308 type) and asks shop assistant for appraisal to sell...shop assistant asks him to open the bolt, guy does so (rifle was pointed in somewhat safe direction) and a live round pops out onto the counter...boy did that little fat fcker of a shop assistant tear that guy a new arse hole...it was then my turn to be served so I asked if it was ok if I just roamed around his shop till he calmed down.

I was in a gunshop a while back and this guy (probably mid 70's?) came in and asked for a gun. The assistant asked him if he had a current licence and the dude went troppo! Shouting at the top of his voice, ranting and raving at him.... "I had a F&&&&&& licence when you were in nappies you c$$$" etc etc etc etc.... Went on for ages! Then he stormed out.

They were gobsmacked and said they were ringing the cops because someone who can trip out like that, and for as long as that over nothing, shouldn't have a firearm! God knows what he was like at home if that was acceptable in public. I told them that if they wanted a witness to give me a buzz, and of course; they had it all on camera. Maybe not the sound I suppose but holy shit the body language was extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I was in a gunshop a while back and this guy (probably mid 70's?) came in and asked for a gun. The assistant asked him if he had a current licence and the dude went troppo! Shouting at the top of his voice, ranting and raving at him.... "I had a F&&&&&& licence when you were in nappies you c$$$" etc etc etc etc.... Went on for ages! Then he stormed out.

They were gobsmacked and said they were ringing the cops because someone who can trip out like that, and for as long as that over nothing, shouldn't have a firearm! God knows what he was like at home if that was acceptable in public. I told them that if they wanted a witness to give me a buzz, and of course; they had it all on camera. Maybe not the sound I suppose but holy shit the body language was extreme!
    I'm not a betting man, but I'd take one that the guy didn't have a license, and had lost it for spontaneously combusting when challenged previously.
    bumblefoot and Steve123 like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Name:  vv.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  7.8 KB
    outlander, rewa and Phil_H like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

The weird thing when he tripped out was that it was in a weird high-pitched sorta falsetto; think of a 70-something year old who's voice hasn't broken vibe... But screamed..... If he was younger I'd say gakked up on meth ha ha
    outlander likes this.

Wow just happened to me today this exact thing. Bloody strange ah.
    Went to pick up some hunting trousers that the local store had for me. Walked in and there’s a Rifle on the counter pointing at the door which I’d just come in. I looked at it and saw the bolt was in. So I did ask the shop assistant to please point it in a safe direction and remove the bolt.
    Got a funny look but bugger it, you only live once.
    Fairly sure I did ask nicely...

What did seem strained was that it was in a case. Who walks around with a cased rifle with the bolt in?
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    The weird thing when he tripped out was that it was in a weird high-pitched sorta falsetto; think of a 70-something year old who's voice hasn't broken vibe... But screamed..... If he was younger I'd say gakked up on meth ha ha
    Sounds like there was another personality present in this guy as well as the standard issue one.
    keneff, outlander and rewa like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I was ina small gun shop in Howick some 20 odd years ago. Just looking around. A dude somes in asking about a semi auto rifle like an AK or SKS ( they were not MSSA back them just A cat) Staff answered his questions and explained he needed a license to purchase and directed them to the nearest police station. The guy seemed offended as it was for his "boss" standing beside him (Think boss / manservant dynamic....) as he wanted to shoot a few ducks on the local golf course........Customer explained his boss was highly ranked military and knew what he as doing and did not need a license...Staff member referred him to the police .....How he did it with a straight face I will never know.....The conversation we had afterwards was a hoot, and I would so very much liked to have seen the police persons face when approached at the station.....Imagine trying to shoot ducks in december on golf course in Auckland with a 7.62x39....so many different kinds of wrong.....