Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Muppets walk amongst us

I was in Fun City in Ch-Ch with my two kids a couple of years back when some germ had an accidental discharge in his ute outside in the car park. Didn't hear a thing but found someone counting holes in his car parked nearby a few minutes after the event. Some times the gods are watching , things could have turned out very differently.

The incident was discussed on here somewhere.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo57 View Post
    I was in Fun City in Ch-Ch with my two kids a couple of years back when some germ had an accidental discharge in his ute outside in the car park. Didn't hear a thing but found someone counting holes in his car parked nearby a few minutes after the event. Some times the gods are watching , things could have turned out very differently.

The incident was discussed on here somewhere.
    On here, in the papers all over....and somehow the media implied that it was GCs fault.......(clearly it was not)

Banned
    So this morning I phoned the man who's actions are the subject of this thread. At first despite my being very diplomatic he was defensive " I've had firearms for 55 years I have served in the Army etc.", however because my recollection of the details was exact he could not argue the facts and conceded that errors had been made. I pointed out that having a military background he would know that first off, he should have while pointing the muzzle safely upwards, handed the rifle to the shop staff and asked for it to be checked that it was empty (clear) and safe. I also pointed out that had the Police stopped him while he was walking to the shop and asked to check the rifle, the fact that the bolt was in it would not have been what they were hoping to find. The conversation ended on a very friendly note, we both agreeing that we all make mistakes and need to 'look out' for each other.

Banned
    I have thought about this matter during the day, wondering what course of action I would take now if the same situation were repeated again.
    What I would do is address the shop staff member " Excuse me, but I didn't see you check this customers firearm is empty and safe" " Do you consider that this firearm is pointed in a safe direction"? I think that putting the responsibility on the shop staff is going to cause less of a situation than bailing up a customer. The shop staff being put on the 'back foot' whereas the customer is very likely to be defensive and offer two words in response.
    ishoot10s likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Wow just happened to me today this exact thing. Bloody strange ah.
    Went to pick up some hunting trousers that the local store had for me. Walked in and there’s a Rifle on the counter pointing at the door which I’d just come in. I looked at it and saw the bolt was in. So I did ask the shop assistant to please point it in a safe direction and remove the bolt.
    Got a funny look but bugger it, you only live once.
    Fairly sure I did ask nicely...

What did seem strained was that it was in a case. Who walks around with a cased rifle with the bolt in?
    I don't have a case for my rifle, just a gun bag...bolt is always in the rifle so I don't lose the fckn thing

usually my bolt is in rifle or in gun bag alongside it along with suppressor.....NEVER ever does it go elsewhere or Id forget the plurry thing.

tonight after taking the baa out of 2nd house mutton in quick succession I simply placed rifle on ground as I vaulted fence to do the knife bit...my good wife picked up rifle and opened bolt,ejecting empty (which she picked up) and she then placed rifle with open bolt on seat of ute for me to deal with......ok she hadnt emptied mag (must show her again how to do so) but she made it safe by leaving bolt open and placed in safe spot....I laughed the first time I saw a chamber flag...dont laugh anymore,they are a veey good idea.
    308, Moa Hunter, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I feel a bit slack for not immediately intervening and telling the guy his firearm was not pointed in a safe direction. What is the appropriate step when we see this happen ?
    I can understand exactly why you made this thread. This is one of these issues where some people take it very seriously, while some people do not understand what the fuss is all about. it is not like drink driving where (at least now) generally speaking everyone knows it is bad. You probably were worried that If you just said "hey please do not point the gun at someone", you may get a "WTF are you on about, I checked it before I left home" kind of response from this guy. It could be awkward because then it is nor clear who is the unreasonable odd one out.

I think when one encounters this type of situation, it may serve well if you acted a little over the top re the degree of your concern. Sometimes your over-thee-top reaction may cause thew other person to doubt whether their own position is is too odd-ball-out.

I like to make use of a fluoro-bright chamber flag all the time except (obviously) when cleaning or once loaded on the range / in the bush. It reminds me better than my memory, if that makes sense. When the flag comes out of the chamber other than besides cleaning, Rule 1.
    Moa Hunter and Phil_H like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sightpicture View Post
    I like to make use of a fluoro-bright chamber flag all the time except (obviously) when cleaning or once loaded on the range / in the bush. It reminds me better than my memory, if that makes sense. When the flag comes out of the chamber other than besides cleaning, Rule 1.
    Interesting that when I phoned the guy he did seem a naturally safe type of person, he was nervous about taking his rifle into town and had purchased a bag for the occasion.
    He did say to me that he had checked the firearm was empty, and I asked how he had checked it considering it is a .22. He had done a visual check.
    I am sure that many times when firearms are put away with 'one up the spout' they have been checked by the owner and that person is sure they did see an empty chamber. However, what was seen was a regurgitated historical image from a brain memory file and not the actual current image. So that leaves us with a physical check with a finger - which cant be done on a 22 or chamber flags. Perhaps chamber flags are the most sensible practical safety item there is, even with bolt removed ? Certainly lets the owner and everyone else know its safe whilst preventing any accidental chambering.

Fuck...there is some scary blind and dumb people out there

The assessor doing my firearm licence renewal was happy to see chamber flags in my rifles. If I was taking my rifle to a gun shop; I'd still use one even though the bolt would be removed
    Moa Hunter and sightpicture like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    The assessor doing my firearm licence renewal was happy to see chamber flags in my rifles. If I was taking my rifle to a gun shop; I'd still use one even though the bolt would be removed
    A Happy Assessor? You should have him stuffed and mounted on the wall!
    jakewire, bumblefoot and xtightg like this.

policy with mine -check as its removed from gunsafe into secure carrying container,and check again on removal ,certainly before handing it to anyone -will often doublecheck with em so all are happy in process of outfitting allwith triggerlocks,call me paranoid but this world is laden with dickheads

Re chamber flags, what type are you guys using? I got one from GC and it falls out so easily. Tried bending it a bit to hold in better but doesn't help much.

The fire arms chap I had asked me what conditions I would give a person that I am lending my fire arms out too , I replied quickly with...

I wouldn't be lending out my firearms !!
    He seemed pretty happy with that answer.

On the mountain firearms course we have to do , we got given a couple of the chamber flags which I thought was pretty awesome.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue