Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Not a 'Fit and Proper Person'

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    1,746
    you shooting at magpies sitting on the irrigator?

  2. #32
    270 King of the Calibres oraki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CSI Flatlander
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    you shooting at magpies sitting on the irrigator?
    Not me,just a pic I found.
    Farmers Feed The World.. Respect Us
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies... Respect Us As Well

  3. #33
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    Attachment 86007
    Target positively identified and dispatched
    Rule number 5....isn't it?

  4. #34
    Member norsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    506
    It is a funny one.

    Yesterday a guy indicated and pulled to the left (We drive on the right in Norway),I was travelling behind him at about 80kmph and pulled to the right into the passing land to go around him.

    Suddenly he turned back to the right and we collided,fukking up both cars.(I have had my new Ute not even two weeks).

    Cops,Ambo and Fire brigade arrived,thankfully the only damage was to both cars.

    Insurance case,no charges etc.

    Now imagine if we were on a trap range or public land,he yells "pull" swings his gun to the left and then whirls it around to the right and the shot hits my backpack.Over here he would loose his gun licence and rightly so.

    But since motor vehicle accidents are so common place,his insurance simply goes up.
    Gibo, Micky Duck, Cordite and 1 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

  5. #35
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    turn your last 7 words around.....cars can be as lethal as guns and it makes more sense...... if you get behind the wheel pissed its a conscious decision......if you decide to speed its a conscious decision..... if you tail gate..if you use phone....overtaking on blind corner...
    not the same...yes AND no
    the above are using something in a way thats KNOWN to be dangerous and can kill,the last one is getting close as you doing something you think is right without proper vision to CONFIRM IT .
    @Micky Duck

    I said the last line very deliberately to make a point. Look road toll vs gun toll. The forces involved in a car crash far surpass the muzzle energy of anything any of us carries in the bush, even though guns are good at drilling nasty holes, but that's all they do. We are well taught to understand that a gun muzzle pointing within 30degrees of us is really bad... but at the same time, without blinking, we pass parallel at about 1-2 metres distance from an oncoming car at combined speeds often exceeding 200kph.

    I agree that driving seems more complex, more factors involved than "just" identify-n-shoot. It seems helpful however to seek to understand why hunters screw up and looking at human factors at length during court proceedings is one way to do it.
    Last edited by Cordite; 20-04-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    303Guy and stretch like this.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

    The Hedgehog Preservation Society

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Shore Auck
    Posts
    185
    Gee I wonder what would happen if I threw a bone in amongst a pack of hungry dogs . MMMMMMMM would there be a fight ????

  7. #37
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    2,052
    Im agreeing with you cordite...was trying to reinforce your point in fact....
    Ive been there on a couple of occasions over the years and it frightened the crap out of me...... my bolt was still open and identification process sorted it out BEFORE smelly stuff hit whirly thing.....Ive roared guys up...... and seen a bright orange "thing" that turned into a deer and got away as I couldnt positively identify it before it bolted.
    Ive had a truck n trailer unit roll over and had steering tyre blow out..and rear tyre..and more trailer ones than care to count....been in low speed head on.
    Cordite likes this.

  8. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    North Canterbury
    Posts
    264
    Well thank you all for your input. Just to confirm the point I wished to make was as follows: This forum provides an opportunity to exchange ideas and learn from a combined intelligence of all. Any time I read through threads I am always impressed with the clever dry humor and wit that entwines some really good info. I personally felt that 'Pepper Pot' had an abnormal response to some pertinent questions, the 'Red Mist' came down way too fast and he reacted in a way that made me concerned about his ability to make a rational decision. There are times when all normal blokes will loose their tempers and hand out black eyes, for example if you just caught you best mate climbing off you misses. But really, loosing your temper at blokes who are giving freely of their time to help you is a sure sign of an incompetent head-case who shouldn't own a gun (or car) !!
    veitnamcam likes this.

  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Well thank you all for your input. Just to confirm the point I wished to make was as follows: This forum provides an opportunity to exchange ideas and learn from a combined intelligence of all. Any time I read through threads I am always impressed with the clever dry humor and wit that entwines some really good info. I personally felt that 'Pepper Pot' had an abnormal response to some pertinent questions, the 'Red Mist' came down way too fast and he reacted in a way that made me concerned about his ability to make a rational decision. There are times when all normal blokes will loose their tempers and hand out black eyes, for example if you just caught you best mate climbing off you misses. But really, loosing your temper at blokes who are giving freely of their time to help you is a sure sign of an incompetent head-case who shouldn't own a gun (or car) !!
    Some peoples responses when written can also be read differently to what was originally intended. I am not saying that is what happened, but I know from experience at work when I write messages, sometimes when I am suggesting helpful advice on how to improve something, when I re read it with a critical perspective it has on occasion been possible to read it another way entirely. With the written word, you only get the words to work with. No pronunciation (drunk or sober?) No tonal clues (aggression versus humour).

    think f the phrase "You dick" as you could say it to someone. Perhaps it is a mate being a bit of a dickhead and you are using it to rein him in a bit by pointing out he is taking it a little too far....Or it could be read as a short version of " you ar an absolute complete prick....

    Never put too much stock in what people write as you often cannot gauge what is going through their minds at the time. Nor can you use body language or Tone as indicators of their true intent.

    I do not believe you could easily use a written statement as proof they are not suitable to use firearms in the same way you could not use a written statement to prove they are. That is why an interview is necessary.
    Cordite likes this.

  10. #40
    Member Paddy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Hawkesbay
    Posts
    1,431
    by now im sure with many a post many have figured I am not a "proper" person and sure as hell I am not fit , so I am neither fit nor proper to any extent but that does not mean I am not quailified to own firearms so what is fit and proper?
    Dam right im Pro Guns, Look at History

  11. #41
    Member Steve123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    What used to be Franklin
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    by now im sure with many a post many have figured I am not a "proper" person and sure as hell I am not fit , so I am neither fit nor proper to any extent but that does not mean I am not quailified to own firearms so what is fit and proper?
    Can you walk through walls? If you can't you may be a propper person.
    GravelBen and 303Guy like this.

  12. #42
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Some peoples responses when written can also be read differently to what was originally intended. I am not saying that is what happened, but I know from experience at work when I write messages, sometimes when I am suggesting helpful advice on how to improve something, when I re read it with a critical perspective it has on occasion been possible to read it another way entirely. With the written word, you only get the words to work with. No pronunciation (drunk or sober?) No tonal clues (aggression versus humour).

    think f the phrase "You dick" as you could say it to someone. Perhaps it is a mate being a bit of a dickhead and you are using it to rein him in a bit by pointing out he is taking it a little too far....Or it could be read as a short version of " you ar an absolute complete prick....

    Never put too much stock in what people write as you often cannot gauge what is going through their minds at the time. Nor can you use body language or Tone as indicators of their true intent.

    I do not believe you could easily use a written statement as proof they are not suitable to use firearms in the same way you could not use a written statement to prove they are. That is why an interview is necessary.
    @timattalon

    Agree with the above. My droll dead pan humour can lend itself to misinterpretation, unless you put a smiley (-: or other emoji after it. That gets around some misinterpretations. On the other hand a smiley seems a bit like laughing at your own joke. )-:
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

    The Hedgehog Preservation Society

  13. #43
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    by now im sure with many a post many have figured I am not a "proper" person and sure as hell I am not fit , so I am neither fit nor proper to any extent but that does not mean I am not quailified to own firearms so what is fit and proper?
    there is a fine line to tread between contributing and trolling.
    qualifications mean diddly squat in the real world.......... being qualified to fly an aeroplane doesnt mean you should be put in charge of a dreamliner full of strippers on a hens night.

  14. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    kaiapoi
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ... being qualified to fly an aeroplane doesnt mean you should be put in charge of a dreamliner full of strippers on a hens night.
    that's what auto pilot is for.... just sayin'

  15. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there is a fine line to tread between contributing and trolling.
    qualifications mean diddly squat in the real world.......... being qualified to fly an aeroplane doesnt mean you should be put in charge of a dreamliner full of strippers on a hens night.
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    that's what auto pilot is for.... just sayin'
    @csmiffy you do realise that if its a hens night all the strippers will be dudes........which is not what I would lokk for in entertainment. In which case I would be firmly locked away in the cockpit (what a poor name that really is in this case) until thestrippers finish their thing and leave the girls wanting more....


    On the upside for the girls, on a plane the strippers cannot escape...(Hang on a second, if this was the other way around and it was a stags night, there would likely be an uproar...sexisim at its best / worst)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Proper way to rig spinning lures
    By Ryan_Songhurst in forum Fishing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 20-10-2017, 04:05 PM
  2. Fit & Proper Firearms owners are not the problem.
    By Sasquatch in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2017, 05:46 PM
  3. Proper utes for NZ
    By 7mmsaum in forum Off topic
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 11:45 PM
  4. proper pointers
    By Pointer in forum Trial, Pedigree and Bird Dogs
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 03:31 AM
  5. proper pointers
    By Pointer in forum Dogs
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 03:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!