Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Not getting shot or shooting someone by mistake

Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post
    Maybe the 6 people that have been shot in New Zealand ,would still be alive if they hadn't bought blaze orange . Believe the B/S people tell you. I hunt in camo and you wont know im there ,unless I want you to know
    Maybe they would be alive if people identified their target
    Neckshot, Spudattack, Toby and 3 others like this.

Not getting shot or shooting someone by mistake

Maybe the 6 people that have been shot in New Zealand ,would still be alive if they hadn't bought blaze orange . Believe the B/S people tell you. I hunt in camo and you wont know im there ,unless I want you to know
    Um ... Really? Perhaps people wouldn't be dead if shooters identified their target? And I'm sorry but I've got a mate who also thinks he's clever coz he says the same thing about only being seen when he wants to, quite frankly it gives me the shits going with him, because I DON'T know where HE is. I don't want to offend anyone but sorry kawekakid I think that's a very cavalier attitude 😟

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So ..... it has come to this ......

yea i agree with you mick666
    would rather be able to see others in the bush and leaves less margin for error when identifying your target
    there are to meny people out there with itchy trigger fingers the shoot first and ask questions latter
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

I hunt in camo and you wont know im there ,unless I want you to know
    Mate, what camo gear do you use cause it must be freaking awesome if it stops you making noise... or casting a shadow... or shaking any brush around you. Does it also stop you moving?

To some people being a successfull hunter means a lot to them. To the point where the first shot is simply to slow the animal down enough that they can get a second shot in there to anchor it. This is how they shoot at movement or sound.

ID of the target is paramount.

My father and i have hunted together for a long time, we both wear blaze and have for quite a few years. I don't really know the technical side of what deer see and don't see but i have had them walk up to me wearing blaze in the bush. Dad and i wear it because it makes it really easy for us to see each other through the trees and out in the tussock.

Just saw a post about " fingers off triggers " , and about the SAS & STG , always doing this , and being safe etc .

All good stuff , BUT just because you donot hear about things , dosn;t mean they donot happen .

My mate who was in a NZSAS , said when he was in , they had 1-2 accidents a year , mostly to do with the guys speed drawing the old Browning Hi-powers from holsters , usually grazes or shots thru the leg etc , and they where NEVER on the News or reported to the outside world , if it could be patched up and no one was dead , NOTHING happened .

Also , when the glocks 1st came in , one of the outside instructors on the Glocks ( he was not NZ Police ) , said they had a female cop , think the Glock was unloaded ? , and fired the action , it was pointed close to the side of the Police Sergeant inside the station , shot jsut missed his head to the side .
    Female cop crys , and thats IT , nothing done , not reported to NZ Public , they donot need to know ?

Stuff happens all the time , in Police & Military circles , and unless some one dies , most if not all , stays in house .

Later Chris
    veitnamcam likes this.

And then there is the u tube Vid of an American cop shooting himself in the leg while teaching a school class about gun safety.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    And then there is the u tube Vid of an American cop shooting himself in the leg while teaching a school class about gun safety.
    That clip is so lol, especially when after blasting himself in the foot, he thwn attempts to demo a rifle. Committed.

this think about fingers off triggers doesn't mean that they are safe, just safer than your average un trained punter. It dosent matter what tool you use accidents happen.
    How many builders do you know with bits missing or scares.
    at the end of the day 99.9 firearms fire cause someone pulled the trigger.
    cheers
    Savage1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mutton gun View Post
    this think about fingers off triggers doesn't mean that they are safe, just safer than your average un trained punter. It dosent matter what tool you use accidents happen.
    How many builders do you know with bits missing or scares.
    at the end of the day 99.9 firearms fire cause someone pulled the trigger.
    cheers
    In short it comes down to identifying the target beyond any doubt....... I can only hope a tragedy never ever happens to myself or anyone on this forum, or anyone at all fornthat ,matter - as cheesy as it sounds ,,,, No meat is better than no mate.......

All the best fellas - safe travels & safe but happy hunting......
    Dundee likes this.
    Work Just Gets In The Way

I'm undecided on whether to be unseen or mistaken for a deer. Being unseen means a very small chance of being hit by a stray bullet while being seen and misidentified and shot at means a good chance of being hit. Pink would surely trigger 'woman' in any man's head - I thought of this ten years ago. Apparently one can actually get pink cammo. Anyway, I don't know what is best, to be very visible or very invisible. Blaze orange would make one look like grass or leaves to a deer. But does it make one look like a deer to other hunters? It did to at least one hunter who reportedly says he thought he saw deer hair so he shot at it and hit the other hunter in the head. I've always wondered what part of the deer he thought he could see.

There's an word used in some parts of the world - sounder. I know the word to mean a mob of pigs but to some folks a sounder is an sound in the bush that they shoot at!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    No body should be shooting at sound in the bush
    Gibo and Dynastar27 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I'm undecided on whether to be unseen or mistaken for a deer. Being unseen means a very small chance of being hit by a stray bullet while being seen and misidentified and shot at means a good chance of being hit. Pink would surely trigger 'woman' in any man's head - I thought of this ten years ago. Apparently one can actually get pink cammo. Anyway, I don't know what is best, to be very visible or very invisible. Blaze orange would make one look like grass or leaves to a deer. But does it make one look like a deer to other hunters? It did to at least one hunter who reportedly says he thought he saw deer hair so he shot at it and hit the other hunter in the head. I've always wondered what part of the deer he thought he could see.
    I can’t say I understand the I’ll wear camouflage so no one will see me idea.

Camouflage clothing does not make you invisible. If you are moving the human eye will still see you. If you make noise the human ear will still hear you. If you move a bush it will still be seen. Camouflage clothing would only be an advantage if you stopped moving i.e. you thought something / someone else was there. Planning for this to be the case out in the bush means you are putting your faith more in your ability to silently hunt and detect another hunter in the bush before they detect you. Chances are if they hear you moving or see you brush by a bush they will stop moving until they know what you are… chances are if they don’t know what you are they will try and ID you through their scope…

Rather than simply rely on my stalking ability I try to stack the odds in my favour by wearing blaze clothing. Not just a hat but a full blaze orange shirt with a black camo pattern. Yes, people have been shot wearing blaze. I remember reading somewhere that in the excitement of the moment the brain can “see what it wants to see” or “see what it expects to see”. I wonder if it is more or less likely to do this with blaze or camouflage clothing or simply at darker shade skin… or the hair on someone’s head…
    Savage1, Scouser and Mick666 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    I can’t say I understand the I’ll wear camouflage so no one will see me idea.

Camouflage clothing does not make you invisible. If you are moving the human eye will still see you. If you make noise the human ear will still hear you. If you move a bush it will still be seen. Camouflage clothing would only be an advantage if you stopped moving i.e. you thought something / someone else was there. Planning for this to be the case out in the bush means you are putting your faith more in your ability to silently hunt and detect another hunter in the bush before they detect you. Chances are if they hear you moving or see you brush by a bush they will stop moving until they know what you are… chances are if they don’t know what you are they will try and ID you through their scope…

Rather than simply rely on my stalking ability I try to stack the odds in my favour by wearing blaze clothing. Not just a hat but a full blaze orange shirt with a black camo pattern. Yes, people have been shot wearing blaze. I remember reading somewhere that in the excitement of the moment the brain can “see what it wants to see” or “see what it expects to see”. I wonder if it is more or less likely to do this with blaze or camouflage clothing or simply at darker shade skin… or the hair on someone’s head…
    Excellent post 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So ..... it has come to this ......

Well said, Gillie.

I plan on heading into the bush sometime fairly soon, hopefully this winter. I have to decide which way to go. It has been allegedly proven that Blaze orange reduces the chances of being mistaken for a deer and shot, yet this wasn't the case in that one particular incident that I know of. So we have folk shot because they were wearing blaze but would they still have been shot if they were wearing cammo? All I've got for now is our standard olive green - mind you, I do have a blaze safety vest I could wear over it. And I could get a blaze hat I should think. I do like the idea of blaze orange with black cammo pattern.

I don't really know the technical side of what deer see and don't see but i have had them walk up to me wearing blaze in the bush.
    I have an article that the author has given me permission to share, about just that sort of thing. When they stomp in front of you you should stomp back or they get agitated and could get nasty. I should post the article under hunting or I could email it to anyone interested.

I see this whole blaze situation similair to wearing a seat belt, 9 times out of 10 its guna help you out but on that very odd occaision its the very thing that fucks you up.

I wear a bloody bright orange cap and frankly I couldnt care if the deer cant see it or sees it as a flashing beacon thats not the point. Most of the deer you take in the scrub will not have seen you or will only just have seen you when you pull the trigger. Do you think a deers guna sit there for 5 min while you rustle round in the bushes just because your wearing camo an not burn off because it cant see you?

It doesnt matter if you look like any of these guys-
    Name:  camo funny.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  70.5 KB

If they can smell you or hear you they're gone

In my opinion wear what you need to to make sure its you going home to your family not a couple of cops, and to bring the venison with you work on your technique, being quiet, and knowing the animal.
    sako75, veitnamcam, Dundee and 3 others like this.