Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Our gun laws

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Yea like suing a brand in a huge investment group is going to actually achieve anything. Not only will the courts slap it down harder than a pimp in Harlem, but really, unless they are gold digging, what could they possibly do to a company that will just offload more of their shit products for cheap at Brownells to pay for it. It could set a precedent judgement for more people to sue America gun companies, but really, their argument is fucking retarded.
    Yeah it's a bit of a joke really, I mean yes, I do feel sorry for her. Very tragic and a great loss to the people of Sandy Hook. But lets say Adam Lanzer drove in to the school with a Toyota Prius & ran all those kids down... Would she be suing Toyota for it??

My gut tells me no. The agenda is too apparent, they want those guns. Her & her lawyer made it clear in the snippet interview they want those evil "assault" weapons banned from society. Even though they were told by the news correspondent that less then 1% of crime in the States is committed with semi autos...

**Sigh**
    Yukon likes this.

I don't have a problem with most of our gun laws, but seriously how can a thumbhole stock be safe for an A cat rifle but a pistol grip is not. What genius dreamed that up.

Other than that I am happy with the licencing process, that B cat is separate and your average joe can't get an AR with a 30 round mag.
    Some days I wish we could get a CCW when watching the latest deaths in Auckland as the recent Sydney thing.

Am glad we don't have US laws, and especially their crazy regulations on hunting that some states have.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    ...and your average joe can't get an AR with a 30 round mag.
    But they can. The only thing stopping them is their own conscience. Making the whole E cat thing void and pointless.
    Dannz and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    It's to dissuading dilettantes, or people who've played Call of Duty and want an M4orgery. 8><----------
    Frankly us gun owners are looking like a dying breed, so any encouragement on using and getting a firearm responsibly is a good thing. We only need one "massacre" with an AR in NZ and frankly we'll be lucky to own a bow and arrow as we are so few. So my (then) 14year old wanted to shoot a real rifle so I took him to Trentham for his birthday and he loved it, and I re-discovered what I had enjoyed as fun when a teenager. 2 wins, Look at what banana does, as a way cool sport, the equiv 100+ years ago was "simple" shooting ranges etc. Battlefield 3 to what banana does is just growing up and doing fun, adult style. With a 22LR conversion in the AR Im hoping a few others will get to see its fun and not something to be fearful of.
    AzumitH, Yukon and Sasquatch like this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

The real reason we have this inane MSSA law was because Labour where going to make National(who where in power at the time) look like a bunch of fools .The reason being John Banks and "A woman MP"? ,name escapes me Tizard??,where going to cross the floor and vote for the Labour bill .So National came up with a much harsher Bill to get the MP's to come back and vote National.
    Quite frankly it was all about politic's and nothing else.
    steven likes this.

It's shit but it's what we've got *shrug*

At the end of the day if you don't like it you can just ignore it

At the end of the day its not that hard to get a mssa, just the upgrade security and the cost of getting the MSSA that's the real pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    At the end of the day its not that hard to get a mssa, just the upgrade security and the cost of getting the MSSA that's the real pain.
    problem is the Green party for one wants semi-autos gone. Then we have all the namby pamby organisations lobbying for them to be gone and a MSSA becomes a threatened species.
    Last edited by steven; 19-12-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Frankly us gun owners are looking like a dying breed, so any encouragement on using and getting a firearm responsibly is a good thing.
    I totally agree, more encouragement to get involved with a shooting club is needed especially to the younger generation getting in to recreational shooting. I often see the remains of young cowboys shooting up tv's, washing machines etc down at our local range. It's public land so it will only take a few more complaints to the council and our town loses it's shooting range. Some days i take some rubbish bags down to clean up the little shits mess. They just don't know how lucky the got it for now. Public opinion is where we all stand at the moment.

We only need one "massacre" with an AR in NZ and frankly we'll be lucky to own a bow and arrow as we are so few.
    Sadly true but tis a fun sport also... ;-) I still love my rifles though!

So my (then) 14year old wanted to shoot a real rifle so I took him to Trentham for his birthday and he loved it, and I re-discovered what I had enjoyed as fun when a teenager. 2 wins, Look at what banana does, as a way cool sport, the equiv 100+ years ago was "simple" shooting ranges etc. Battlefield 3 to what banana does is just growing up and doing fun, adult style. With a 22LR conversion in the AR Im hoping a few others will get to see its fun and not something to be fearful of.
    That's where it's at, encouragement. Lets all help encourage more people licence holders or not to get involved with clubs & get in to shooting over the summer. Don't buy iphone/ipads for your kids (or yourselves...), get them a .22 & have fun.

Sorry I'm still learning my way round here with everyone, what does banana do? At an educated guess I'm going to say 3gun?

Baz likes this.

Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post
    I find myself getting frustrated whenever I think about the provisions of the Arms Act and its various amendments. I firmly believe that laws should make sense, but in the case of the Arms Act I can't help but feel we're being forced to comply with illogical restrictions that have been engineered to simply to frustrate and confuse the law abiding gun owner.

Very interested to hear people's perspective on the points below:

1. E-cat magazine capacity restriction. If someone steals my A-cat AR-15 from my a-cat safe, they can simply walk into a gun shop and purchase a 30-round magazine no questions asked, and no licence required. Yet, if I want to own the same AR-15 with a 30-round magazine I need an endorsement + upgraded security. Somehow I need to convince the police that I'm fit and proper to own the same rifle in this context, but a criminal will simply buy whatever they need and do whatever they want.

2. Collapsible stock. Same as above.

3. Pistol grip. Same as above.

4. Pistol grip. My A-Cat Ar-15 has a thumb-hole stock that is functionally identical to a standard pistol grip. Yet, if I want to own the same AR-15 with a free-standing pistol grip I need an endorsement + upgraded security.

5. We're sometimes led to believe that the defining features of a MSSA (pistol grip, etc) are less about functionality and safety and more about how the public will perceive a firearm with MSSA features. Yet, I can own an A-cat bolt action rifle with a pistol grip, 10 round magazine and collapsible stock that a member of the public would not likely be able to distinguish from a MSSA.

Thoughts?
    I get where your coming from of course, but even with all the nonsense rules surrounding firearms ownership, NZ has far fewer hoops to jump through than other countries. Gun ownership is very rare in the UK and extremely expensive, making shooting a rich mans sport.
    It may not feel like it but here in NZ we are very very lucky to have access to firearms at an affordable rate.
    The Gun laws here was one reason I moved to NZ and not elsewhere (sorry about that).
    I for one wouldn't want to rock the boat too much, any further legislation would probably make things worse not better (in my opinion).
    Scouser and Tommy like this.
    If the enemy is in range, so are you!

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    I get where your coming from of course, but even with all the nonsense rules surrounding firearms ownership, NZ has far fewer hoops to jump through than other countries. Gun ownership is very rare in the UK and extremely expensive, making shooting a rich mans sport.
    It may not feel like it but here in NZ we are very very lucky to have access to firearms at an affordable rate.
    The Gun laws here was one reason I moved to NZ and not elsewhere (sorry about that).
    I for one wouldn't want to rock the boat too much, any further legislation would probably make things worse not better (in my opinion).
    'Rocking the boat' is the only thing that has saved from much harsher laws! We have succeeded (via the Courts, Select Committees, etc) where more concilliatry methods have failed miserably. It is imperative that we collectively continue to stand up for our rights, as the anti's are always looking for ways to undermine those rights! I use the word 'rights' advisedly because our right to own arms is enshrined in law - a fact that many are unaware of (or choose to ignore).
    Ryan, steven, Banana and 4 others like this.

Man you guys Crack me Up .
    Your discussing problems that Australian shooters would give their Left Nut to have .
    I'm not down playing some of your legitimate concerns , but before you get to excited you should stand back and thank your lucky stars .
    If you want to use the word " Dumb " and " Firearm Legislation " in the same sentence , then you had better include the word Australia .

You all need to revisit Fred Dag

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYvMeT2GC14

You Lucky , Lucky Bastards

Ken
    Tuidog and Toby like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Man you guys Crack me Up .
    Your discussing problems that Australian shooters would give their Left Nut to have .
    I'm not down playing some of your legitimate concerns , but before you get to excited you should stand back and thank your lucky stars .
    If you want to use the word " Dumb " and " Firearm Legislation " in the same sentence , then you had better include the word Australia .

You all need to revisit Fred Dag

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYvMeT2GC14

You Lucky , Lucky Bastards

Ken
    What state are you in GC?
    These are really small world problems in NZ at the moment. Enjoy what you have and carry on. You have no idea the anti bullshit we have to endure here. Its daily in the newspapers and tv. Hot barrels and empty mags to all of you.