Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Overall length Saga continues

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    Ah.. yes... but if you apply the logic of my original post, why do we even need pistol specific laws? Crims can and do make pistol sized firearms from rifles and shotguns. Whether they have a rifle, shortened rifle or pistol, they’re breaking the law, and naturally they’d be inclined to shorten whatever they can get their hands on anyway. Licensed firearm owners should be conducting themselves within the law, regardless of whether they’re using a 20mm cannon or a derringer.
    We also have pistol laws regarding who can own and where you can use them so they are necessary. So your point is moot

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @systolic, been thinking a bit about your comments regarding "constabulary independence"

Like much of the police hierarchy thinking, it is a concept inherited from the United Kingdom.

What it boils down to is actually operational independence, so that police are free to decide whether they wish to investigate or charge without undue influence from politicians.

What it does not mean, is policy independence. Which is what I suspect you (and some of the top brass) are aiming for.

It is the job of the police to enforce the law, not to dream up laws that fit their world view...
    Pretty sure Systolic is a Military Policeman, not the other kind.

Ah.. yes... but if you apply the logic of my original post, why do we even need pistol specific laws? Crims can and do make pistol sized firearms from rifles and shotguns. Whether they have a rifle, shortened rifle or pistol, they’re breaking the law, and naturally they’d be inclined to shorten whatever they can get their hands on anyway. Licensed firearm owners should be conducting themselves within the law, regardless of whether they’re using a 20mm cannon or a derringer.
    It's based around the belief that pistols are:

A - Predominantly for defensive use, and the authorities want to maintain their own monopoly on who is accepted to have guns for defensive use

B - Easily concealable, making them suitable for criminal use.

The original fear that the authorities had with pistols, was the idea that they would be used against them in a soclialist/communist revolution. They were shit scared that what happened in the Russian Empire in 1917 would happen in western nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    We also have pistol laws regarding who can own and where you can use them so they are necessary. So your point is moot

Lol. I’m arguing over the validity of a piece of legislation, and your response is that my point is moot because we have legislation.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Or a mall security guard maybe?
    300CALMAN likes this.

Lol. I’m arguing over the validity of a piece of legislation, and your response is that my point is moot because we have legislation.
    Arguing that because criminals can use something should mean that we can use them too isn't a good idea to me.

I suppose you support conceal carry of pistols?

Arguing that because criminals can use something should mean that we can use them too isn't a good idea to me.

Classic straw man.
    More meplat, more better.

I support conceal carry but then I was born in the state of Georgia

I agree that we shouldn't NEED pistol specific laws but we HAVE pistol specific laws
    2post likes this.

I don't see the need to have different categories of guns, I am allowed to own as many rifles as I want, I am not allowed to own a MSSA or Pistol (I have no interest in owning a pistol or a MSSA). Am I less a fit and prober person than many of you? The only difference is the compliance requirements for owning them, I assume this is to help prevent these types of guns falling into the wrong hands.
    My 10/22 if cut down is just as dangerous as any 22 caliber pistol. I just wish the police would concentrate on catching crim's with guns and stop trying to make us (fit and proper people) law abiding voters into criminals.
    gadgetman, Steve123 and tanqueray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Better work stories!
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Better work stories!
    @40mm

Agree, but problem is... jobs with 'better' work stories often have 'better' confidentiality requirements.. )-:
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Sent: Thursday, 16 August 2018 9:25 a.m.
    To:xxxxx
    Subject: NZ police enforcement of 'policy' over legislation

Dear Mr xxxxxx

Thank you for your email of 15 August 2018, to the Minister of Police, Hon Stuart Nash, concerning Police enforcement of the Arm Act.

Please note that there is a long standing convention that prevents Ministers from becoming involved in specific police investigations or operations. This ensures that operational matters within police remain free of any political influence or interference.

Your correspondence to the Minister has therefore been transferred to the office of the Commissioner of Police, for consideration by Police.

Yours faithfully

Travis

Travis Mills
    Private Secretary (Police)
    Office of Hon Stuart Nash, Minister of Police
    Level 19 Bowen House | Parliament Buildings, Wellington 6010
    M +64 021 220 6607
    P +64 04 817 6979
    E travis.mills@parliament.govt.nz

Right team,
    here is the response.
    1t point, they got my name wrong.
    2nd they didnt really answer any of the questions.
    3rd point. This has been shown to a few people, non shooters. They are quite concerned at the greater issue here - the abuse of police powers and the lack of accountability being dislayed. I think this is the actual important point that needs to be emphasasied.

I will be contact a few organizations emphasizing this point in order to continue placing pressure.

Keep on keepin on team.
    Your third point is the most important.
    NZ Police do this with the holiday speed tolerance's as well. By law your speedo must be accurate to 10% not what ever Police HQ decide for the time period.
    They are even trying it on with sports club's liqour licences too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @40mm

Agree, but problem is... jobs with 'better' work stories often have 'better' confidentiality requirements.. )-:
    I was joking! military police are probably less exciting than real police. @Cordite
    the better work stories campaign to recruit more cops has probably let a few people down, once they realised the crap they have to put up with on the job. no wonder most cops are grumpy bastards.
    Use enough gun

When is the case due in court? Won't the result set a precedent the police have to follow?..more so than petitioning ministers etc, if the courts won't recognize the policy then there's zero point in the police trying to enforce it..