Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Owing an A-cat AR-15 + a bolt action rifle with 'MSSA' features

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Buy an airsoft if just the way it looks is the appealing feature

As to original post, the burden of proof is on the firearms owner that the high capacity mag wouldn't ever be used on the A car firearm. And no doubt they've heard very excuse under the sun.
    Ok, so cosmetic wasn't the right word. Pistol grip, high capacity mag, and adjustable stock have clear functional value.
    Last edited by Dannz; 20-12-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    Kscott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Sure are = E Cat.
    Im not sure what you mean here but, the law specifically says semi-auto AND these features make it a MSSA. If it isnt semi-auto then there is no AND and it isnt an MSSA. Otherwise Im in deep poo as my 3 No4s have MSSA features.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Im not sure what you mean here but, the law specifically says semi-auto AND these features make it a MSSA. If it isnt semi-auto then there is no AND and it isnt an MSSA. Otherwise Im in deep poo as my 3 No4s have MSSA features.
    You don't have anything to worry about. If it's not semi-automatic, then MSSA restrictions don't apply. High capacity magazines, pistol grips, flash suppressors, adjustable/folding stocks are all permissible on a-cat for pump action and bolt action firearms.

Here's another quirk of the rules. Import restrictions for parts. I got confirmation from my AO that I can import a 10 round magazine without a permit, but I would have to prove to Customs that I didn't intend to fit it to a semi-auto. I wonder how one would prove this. Message I took away was no point trying to import 'MSSA' parts even if my intent is to fit them to a bolt action rifle.

In terms of ‘parts’. ‘Part’ is defined in section 2 of the Arms Act 1983 as:

part—
    (a) in relation to a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm, includes any thing, such as a butt, stock, magazine, silencer, or sight, which, while not essential for the discharge by a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile, is designed or intended to be an integral part of a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm; and
    (b) in relation to any other firearm, means the action for that firearm
    Last edited by Dannz; 21-12-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post
    I got confirmation from my AO that I can import a 10 round magazine without a permit, but I would have to prove to Customs that I didn't intend to fit it to a semi-auto. I wonder how one would prove this.
    You get your AO to confirm it with them by email.
    Kscott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    +1

I got confirmation from my AO that I can import a 10 round magazine without a permit, but I would have to prove to Customs that I didn't intend to fit it to a semi-auto. I wonder how one would prove this.
    Tell them is for your lever action...see how smart they are

I got told at the Auckland Deer Stalkers range that my Bipod/Handgrip makes an A cat rifle E cat now. It's one of those ones where you push the button and it splits apart to form a bipod. If this is the case then I have seen lots of people who shouldn't have them.

Name:  sku_198420_7.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  26.8 KB

Interesting that he didn't tell me this himself. All I got was a one line reply as per original post. No offer to help with an email.

free-standing grip, in relation to a firearm, means a grip that,—
    (a)is designed to be gripped by the whole or most of the trigger hand of a person firing the firearm;
    Dannz likes this.

Interesting that he didn't tell me this himself. All I got was a one line reply as per original post. No offer to help with an email.
    It's the standard procedure for when customs stop something that doesn't need a permit.

From the letter customs send out:
    If these goods are intended for an A category weapon, then consult your local Police Arms Officer and ask them to confirm this by email...

It's the standard procedure for when customs stop something that doesn't need a permit.

From the letter customs send out:
    If these goods are intended for an A category weapon, then consult your local Police Arms Officer and ask them to confirm this by email...
    Good to know, thanks. Still think the AO should have mentioned this though.

Quote Originally Posted by rs200nz View Post
    I got told at the Auckland Deer Stalkers range that my Bipod/Handgrip makes an A cat rifle E cat now. It's one of those ones where you push the button and it splits apart to form a bipod. If this is the case then I have seen lots of people who shouldn't have them.
    "Second grip forward of the trigger" was put forward as a MSSA feature as part of the 2009 'reinterpretation' by Police of what constituted a pistol grip, but this interpretation was overturned in court and has subsequently been subject to updated legislation. Forward/second grip doesn't feature in the current definition of a MSSA. I believe whoever told you that your bipod/handgrip makes your rifle e-cat is wrong.

^ what he said.

Was part of the interpretation, isn't now.

Was it an RO who talked about this or just another shooter ? RO should've known better, and another shooter just hates being told that they're wrong