Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Police shoot at car after high-speed rampage across Auckland

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Rubber bullets in a shotty will stop someone without killing them which greatly reduces paperwork
    In summer they sting at best, at worst they bounce of clothing in winter.

Shotties work really well to stop vehicles. They also open house doors very well.

People shot with No 5 shot will feel intense pain and almost immediately lose the will to fight whilst not being lethal unless they're shot in the chest or face at close range. They certainly aren't going to kill anyone at 20m unless they have been "tampered" with prior to loading.

I personally recommend SSG for vehicles and No 5 or No 7 for people and doors.
    Tommy, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Geeze the must have been practising, I seem to remember a dog a close range speed they missed with a semi. Maybe bigger is better?
    rottweiler porirua -13rounds of 9mm ammo hmmmmmmm
    mikee and outlander like this.

Just an observation, why didn't the dog ute ram the car? If you watch the video red car spins and ute stops to block instead of giving it a face plant.

It got nothing to do with letting anyone get away “with it” but police shooting in a built up area. I don’t want to ever be hit by friendly fire as it still hurts. I notice they did him for driving offences. Seems that’s all the police do these days.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    rottweiler porirua -13rounds of 9mm ammo hmmmmmmm
    not to mention the courier driver "colateral damage" in Auckland
    40mm and outlander like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Rubber bullets in a shotty will stop someone without killing them which greatly increases paperwork
    Fixed.
    40mm likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    It got nothing to do with letting anyone get away “with it” but police shooting in a built up area. I don’t want to ever be hit by friendly fire as it still hurts. I notice they did him for driving offences. Seems that’s all the police do these days.
    I wondered about that, and former cop flatmate reckoned it was a holding charge usually. Ie, they upgrade to more serious stuff later, as it takes care to do it all correctly and not cock it up, resulting in Joe Scumbag going free. Holding on a serious charge but not THE most serious stuff he's up for, this buys them time to get it right/collect evidence/statements/all that carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Fixed.
    I watched a presentation on "less-lethal munitions" once, and the emphasis was that less lethal was the idea. You can die from all sorts of things, and those things still have a good chance of killing you, and also of maiming the fuck out of you too.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I wondered about that, and former cop flatmate reckoned it was a holding charge usually. Ie, they upgrade to more serious stuff later, as it takes care to do it all correctly and not cock it up, resulting in Joe Scumbag going free. Holding on a serious charge but not THE most serious stuff he's up for, this buys them time to get it right/collect evidence/statements/all that carry on.

I watched a presentation on "less-lethal munitions" once, and the emphasis was that less lethal was the idea. You can die from all sorts of things, and those things still have a good chance of killing you, and also of maiming the fuck out of you too.
    Exactly.... dead men dont appeal convictions etc.
    Tommy and Steve123 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Exactly.... dead men dont appeal convictions etc.
    Works for me
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Don’t think I picked up on the sarcasm fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    not to mention the courier driver "colateral damage" in Auckland
    people seem fixated on that bloody incident .whilst not detracting from the tragedy ,neertheless it almost falls into the same class as earthquakes --in a split second events align to cause completely unforseen tragedy as happened on that occasion.furthermore look what the original situation was dealing with something extremely shagnasty ,unccoperative and completely antisocial.As a frontline mental health professional I feel for the boys in blue"youre damned if ya do ,ya damned if ya dont.,not helped of course by sensationalist arseholesof MSM plus the tidal wave of armchgair experts on shit like faecesbookand its loathsome cousins.
    whats the old saying -try walking a mile in the other blokes shoes.
    Reindeer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Do they still train those police dogs to castrate on site?
    If so he’s in the gender reassignment ward
    It depends on the assessment of the dog during training. A sure fire way to determine whether the dog is a biter or a licker is to smear the Oldfella with Bovril and poke it through the fence. Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    What will happen when the bad guy is more than about 15m away?

Even if the sights are right on the centre of a human sized target, there's no way to guarantee a pellet or three from a load of buckshot won't miss the target.
    Where do they end up? In a wall? In a passerby's chest?

Shotguns for police use are fucking stupid. Far too much danger to other people.

Not to mention some of the cops I've seen recently would get knocked on their arse by a shotgun.

On the face of it, yes, but then you have a much better idea about a safe firing zone when you are using a shotgun. Less so with rifles since their bullets will go wayyyy beyond what your eyes see.

Once you contemplate short distances usually involved and the horrific potential lethal range of a stray rifle round -- either an arc several kilometres long, or through nearby house walls, courier vans, windows, trees, fences -- then the shotgun suddenly seems a good choice for police work. Did not say better, just good.
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    What will happen when the bad guy is more than about 15m away?

Even if the sights are right on the centre of a human sized target, there's no way to guarantee a pellet or three from a load of buckshot won't miss the target.
    Where do they end up? In a wall? In a passerby's chest?

Shotguns for police use are fucking stupid. Far too much danger to other people.

Not to mention some of the cops I've seen recently would get knocked on their arse by a shotgun.
    If you're ever faced by a riot crowd intent on killing you, pillaging, burning every thing in site and relieving you of your arms, you'll wish that you had TWO shotguns.
    40mm likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    If you're ever faced by a riot crowd intent on killing you, pillaging, burning every thing in site and relieving you of your arms, you'll wish that you had TWO shotguns.
    Do the cops in this country have that often?
    Cordite likes this.