Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: PSA: Unnecessary Bureaucracy with Import Permits

Before the laws all went Pete Tong. I sold my rifles back to my Dad and brother in NZ. They signed over on the UK FAL. Police here never even raised an eyebrow at it.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Just to extend a bit on that subject . Why having to apply for an import permit when you go abroad for hunting or shooting with your guns and you re enter with your own guns on the way back is the biggest useless bureaucracy procedure ever . I don’t know if any other country doing it like that . And with the register now in place that should be waved out all together for those that have registered.
    cb14, mikee and 6x47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Just to extend a bit on that subject . Why having to apply for an import permit when you go abroad for hunting or shooting with your guns and you re enter with your own guns on the way back is the biggest useless bureaucracy procedure ever . I don’t know if any other country doing it like that . And with the register now in place that should be waved out all together for those that have registered.
    Every country with a registry you have to sign them out and in again that I know of.

Otherwise the government looses control over them,that's what this is really all about.

I took a gun back to NZ in the old days,decided I would leave it there. Told the Norwegian police who freaked out and it took two years to get it off my licence because they couldn't decide what proof they needed to show it was in NZ.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Ridiculous really for a lump of metal, plastic and wood. The paperwork cost over the lifespan of the item far outstrips the $ value in the item itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    In one sense it gives you some protection. If you exit NZ witha firearm, then later return with that firearm there is no way of knowing whether you didn't just obtain / buy that firearm while overseas before bringing it back to NZ. Of course on arrival here you would rightly say it's yours and you temporarily took it overseas and are now bringing it back. But if NZ Customs did't find that believable they could well calculate a value and present you with an invoice for GST. The Import Permit proves that the firearm you re enter NZ with is the same firearm you departed with.
    There are other countries that operate similar systems for similar reasons.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Ridiculous really for a lump of metal, plastic and wood. The paperwork cost over the lifespan of the item far outstrips the $ value in the item itself...
    Oh, dear me.
    When will people realise that, in the eyes of police and politicians (well, some of them) that this has got nothing to do with the amount of bureaucracy or its incipient paperwork.
    It's about CONTROL.

Quote Originally Posted by no1_49er View Post
    Oh, dear me.
    When will people realise that, in the eyes of police and politicians (well, some of them) that this has got nothing to do with the amount of bureaucracy or its incipient paperwork.
    It's about CONTROL.
    It isn't really - you can't control anything when you can't get your own crap sorted first.
    tetawa likes this.