Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Re-licencing.....

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I would say it's "wear brightly coloured gear."

You can't keep to an open area if walking out through the bush, you're not going to leave an animal behind in the bush because it's dark, what are "movements that are obviously human"?
    A few years ago a guy was shot in the Kaimanawa's standing under a tree wearing Warehouse yellow rain coat and leggings.

You can't keep to an open area if walking out through the bush, you're not going to leave an animal behind in the bush because it's dark, what are "movements that are obviously human"?
    One could tie a rope on it and drag it home rather than carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    Why ask - if they are the correct person then they are allowed to do their duty - I wouldn’t make it any harder than needed
    I completely agree. What I was getting at was to only ask that if they ask where the keys are. Because legally you can't tell anyone without an FAL where they are. E.g, spouse, workmate etc. I'm not trying to make it difficult, I would ask pleasantly. As I agree, the one other time I've had a chat with them they've been great. As he seemed on the phone and seemed hunting knowledgeable. As they are civilian contractors and not arms officers (who I presume have an FAL) anyone could (potentially) do the assessing.

They have got onto it smartly though; about 3-weeks from putting my application in. I'm not trying to make things difficult and everything here is secure; just don't want tog et caught out on one question

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Recently had my security check because of a change of address. Got a phone call on a Sunday morning, asked if today was ok, told him yes. About an hour and a half later he turned up after a long drive. Nice young fella, hopped out, we had a chat, talked about the fishing. Then we came inside to check out my safe and I pulled out my keys. He told me there was no need, he didnt want to see in the safe, didn't want to see any firearms, didn't want to take any serial numbers, or take any photo's. He inspected the safe, gave it a good nudge etc, asked how it was secured. Then we went to check out my secure storage for the bolts and ammo, same story. Then we had a bit more of a chat. He told me that he likes to do the security checks on a Sunday, if you answer the phone, you are likely to be home, so it gets the job done. And he told me that for most of the week 80% of his interaction with Joe public is with arseholes, 20% is with decent people. But all his interaction with LFAO is with decent people. All in all a very positive security check.
    Yup; going by the chat on the phone I'd say it will go the same way Just wanted to clarify the one question

"sounds and movements"...probably clacking sticks together or roaring or bleating...as if that will ever stop.

I would refuse to answer any question regarding where I keep my safe keys. If I am forewarned of an inspection, the keys will be in my pocket. If it is an unannounced inspection, I will ask for privacy while I retrieve my keys.
    The whole idea of hiding keys is so that only myself knows where they are and has access to my safe. Telling someone else, especially a vetting officer will possibly result in the location of the keys being noted down and, with the police (& Govt) history regarding information breaches I dont trust them to keep that information safe.

In actual fact I dont trust the police at all after the events of the past 11 months when it comes to firearms, vetting etc.......and I served in uniform for 20 yrs.
    striker, mikee, 308 and 7 others like this.

I agree with Allgood. The location of the safe keys is yours and only yours to know, for security purposes. The person carrying out the inspection is there to inspect your rifle security.
    The location of the keys for my safes, is in a safe and secure location.
    sightpicture likes this.

Reinspected last weekend as per each 6 months - I let him see inside, I don't mind and he's a good bloke ex inspector

When he got to the question "How many A cats do you own" I said "One"

He happily wrote that answer down

If he asked to record serial nos we might have a problem but he's not that silly
    stingray and outlander like this.

The question that pisses me is "why do you own firearms? Do you need so many and could you reduce the number"
    ?'?"
    Then in front of my wife asking "how many do you own" I gave him a wrong answer, but he'll never know, rude of him to ask!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    The question that pisses me is "why do you own firearms? Do you need so many and could you reduce the number"
    ?'?"
    Then in front of my wife asking "how many do you own" I gave him a wrong answer, but he'll never know, rude of him to ask!!
    "No I can't reduce the number I own as it would only increase the number someone else has"
    timattalon, Daithi and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Dont volunteer information. If he didnt ask he doesnt need to know .

He might be a nice guy but he is a representative of the NZ Police and currently they are not your friend.
    Don't worry about that - they get politeness until they ask stupid questions
    They then get a warning and told that they will be crossing a line and if they are dumb enough to keep going then they get minimum legal cooperation and stonewalling everywhere else

I have a cordial relationship with the guy and FWIW he told me that no-one he has talked to on his side can see registration coming back

I'll be fighting it tooth and nail just to be on the safe side
    bumblefoot likes this.

Was wondering; will I get a 5 or 10-year license? I don't know if the 5-year legislation was passed with the rest of the regs?

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Don't worry about that - they get politeness until they ask stupid questions
    The digital notetaker that I use to record my article interviews may or may not be running in the background; just in case.....
    308 likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Was wondering; will I get a 5 or 10-year license? I don't know if the 5-year legislation was passed with the rest of the regs?
    No, still a 10 year licence.
    bumblefoot likes this.

The digital notetaker that I use to record my article interviews may or may not be running in the background; just in case.....
    The trouble with those things is one must be careful what one says themselves.