Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Relocating gun safe on same property.

That is the way I was thinking as well. Says only notify when changing address and you are not changing address. If it's fixed in the same manner then I can't see how they could do you for moving it. Of course that might not stop them having a whinge or making up some bullshit about how it's "not allowed"

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Moving your safe from one location to another within your property is perfectly fine provided the fixings are the same or better, and the new location is suitably inconspicuous within a secure building. You don't need to advise the Police until they come for their next check. The primary purpose of the security requirements is to ensure that firearms are secured to at least the specified standard. Advising the Police is only required when changing the address.

Let them whinge! Tell them that you are merely obeying the law, not some dreamed-up police policy that has no legal standing. That's what law-abiding people do!

On a related note, what about adding extra safes/cabinets? Do they need to be approved before being used?

if it became a law that it had to be inspected if moved, imagine if we moved them an inch a week !

Asked locally today as had moved a safe location on same property a year ago and didn't give it another thought until reading this post. Got told, no need for another inspection if secured properly.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    if it became a law that it had to be inspected if moved, imagine if we moved them an inch a week !
    Malicious compliance, love it.
    Or move it, notify them and then move it back again, repeat.

change the combination code or padlock weekly and ask for certification..................

Quick update, phoned local firearm's officer, they will be sending someone to come and inspect again. Rather safe than sorry I guess?

safe should be empty for inspection of fastenings
    mikee and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    safe should be empty for inspection of fastenings
    They just may ask where are the guns currently stored. Put at least one .22 bolt action in, won't get in the way of inspection.
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Runnings View Post
    Hi Gents

I am wanting to move my gun safe out of the garage into the house as it picks up to much moisture in there from the laundry.

Do I need to notify the police so that a firearm's officer needs to come and inspect the safe once I have moved it?

I have an A cat license with no endorsements.

I tried searching the NZ police website but all they mention is when you move address in which case I am not.

Cheers.
    Move it and let them know chances are they wont come and cheek, make sure you do it in an email so you have it in writing
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

An Interesting thread. From my experience the local AO's tend to want to act outside of the firearms legislation with regard to inspecting firearms, recording serial numbers and inspecting storage security. This is an extract from the official NZ Police firearms storage guidelines. As you can see there is no requirement for the license holder to have their security in inspected if they are at the same address as when the original inspection was done, even if you have moved the physical location of the storage.

Police approval of an individual’s security arrangements is decided on a case-by-case basis following inspection. A member of Police will arrange a mutually convenient time to review your firearms security if:
    (a) You have applied for a firearms licence (including if you have previously held a firearms licence).
    (b) You have applied for an endorsement to possess a pistol, prohibited firearm, prohibited magazine or restricted weapon.
    (c) You are already the holder of a firearms licence and have notified Police that you have changed address.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by 35whelen View Post
    If you wire a 40watt 220v light bulb (NOT A LED) 1/3rd of the way off the bottom of the safe and leave it turned on. It'll keep contents and inside of safe warmer than the outside and therefore
    no chance of condensation inside the safe. The heat off the bulb causes convection and stirs the air inside the safe. End of problem......
    Butt! I would say that as long as you relocate and installed the safe in its new location to the word of the FA code or better than the code requirements. That there shouldn't be any questioning of what or where you keep the safe. As long as it's compliantly installed. Prob better in the house inside a cupboard bolted to the walls studs and to the floor..... with a dead bolt on the cupboard as well..... Should help with insurance company too??? Weld the head of the bolts to the safes walls take that ya Mothers!
    Maybe the weld the bolts thing is if your safe is an antique valuable itself. Once they can get to the bolts the content is gone.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    An Interesting thread. From my experience the local AO's tend to want to act outside of the firearms legislation with regard to inspecting firearms, recording serial numbers and inspecting storage security. This is an extract from the official NZ Police firearms storage guidelines. As you can see there is no requirement for the license holder to have their security in inspected if they are at the same address as when the original inspection was done, even if you have moved the physical location of the storage.

Police approval of an individual’s security arrangements is decided on a case-by-case basis following inspection. A member of Police will arrange a mutually convenient time to review your firearms security if:
    (a) You have applied for a firearms licence (including if you have previously held a firearms licence).
    (b) You have applied for an endorsement to possess a pistol, prohibited firearm, prohibited magazine or restricted weapon.
    (c) You are already the holder of a firearms licence and have notified Police that you have changed address.
    This was my experience recently. The AO wanted to see:

1) A keysafe to store the key to the gun safe.
    2) Another lockable cabinet or safe to store rifle bolts.
    3) A steel gun safe. According to him they no longer accept anything made from timber or ply because readily available battery powered tools can easily break into them in less than 10 minutes of sustained attack.
    4) Somewhere separate and lockable to store ammo (lockable ammo box in the safe was acceptable).

So long story short access to my firearms and ammo is spread across 4 different lockable containers... To assemble a working gun would take quite some effort which is apparently the point.

Not that I have any issue with the above, if it means that I've demonstrated I store weapons safely then great. However this doesn't change the fact that the police seem to be enforcing something that isn't actually law.
    zimmer, Micky Duck and rewa like this.

And another keysafe to store the key for the first keysafe?