Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Relocating gun safe on same property.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Problem is I don't think there is legislation defining it.
    The police have guidelines currently on their website. Currently as in if there are now apsects no longer to their liking (requirement?) they would be edited out, wouldn't they...?

The guidelines still specify specs for wooden security. Go figure what music sheet some AO's are singing from.

https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf
    The one I dealt with seems to be interpreting this part of the 7 Firearms safety rules to include cordless hand tools as they are now readily available and can easily get through wood.

A lockable cabinet, container or receptacle of ‘stout construction’.
    The Police interprets "stout construction" as strong enough to stop a child or opportunist thief getting access. Police recognises the international standard of thwarting attack by hand tools (unpowered tools) for a minimum of 10 minutes. Putting a lock on a cupboard, wardrobe, or gun-case is not enough. Wooden or MDF cabinets/receptacles are unlikely to meet this standard. Seek advice from your Police Arms Officer before purchasing any cabinet, container or receptacle of 'stout construction', as not all containers on offer will meet the standard.
    This arms code the police have online still talks about MSSAs so seems like their public documentation in general is lagging behind.

We moved property 2.5 years ago and I did the whole change of address thing through the nz post website including notifying nz police, any way I never heard from them acknowledging it, so I heard some of those weird gun adds on the radio and thought oh I better just follow up on it and rang local cop shop, she said oh yes we have a note here regarding your move but as you have moved in same area(40km away) there is no requirement to come and inspect storage and told me how they were too busy

Quote Originally Posted by RBANGA300wm View Post
    We moved property 2.5 years ago and I did the whole change of address thing through the nz post website including notifying nz police, any way I never heard from them acknowledging it, so I heard some of those weird gun adds on the radio and thought oh I better just follow up on it and rang local cop shop, she said oh yes we have a note here regarding your move but as you have moved in same area(40km away) there is no requirement to come and inspect storage and told me how they were too busy
    Would ask for this version of ok safe moving in writing, I moved 20km and safe was recertified of being secure. Moved it again within the same premises and they were ok with that.

Oh yeh @tetawa I told her that due to the current mood surrounding firearms and me not willing to be the guy that gets an example made of I would request they get the AO to pay me a visit and check everything out

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    And yet here is another scenario.
    Last week I packed up the rifle to go to the range and then out for a hunt. Rifle with bolt, magazine - both seperate - locked in a hard plastic gun case, rounds in my day pack.

Got to the range but didn’t get to hunt as friends showed up at home. I chucked the gun case and day pack under the bed with the intention of going out after they had gone.....didn’t happen.....they stayed late

Decided then that I would get up at 0400 am and head off then so crashed into bed with rifle and rounds still under bed.

Thought struck me. Had Mr Plod turned up in the middle of the night am I offside? One obviously has to remove guns and ammo from the safe to go hunting......does that have to be immediately....next hour or two...or how long?

Basically I could have a rifle all packed up in the house somewhere and if the powers to be ever called....well I was just on my way out the door to hunt. Pyjamas? What? Yes, of course I have got my pyjamas on Officer...I have just got out of bed, and now, after packing up my rifle I am going to get changed.....prove me wrong.

Just a thought.....does a rifle have to be in the safe - for storage, naturally ....but what time can it be out before you use it?

Cheers
    Phil
    Don’t overthink it….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dusty Fog likes this.