Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Safe transportation - legal requirements?

Often you need to look at the intent of the law. The intent on this one is that the firearm is not quickly ready for use. ie you need to get the bolt then the magazine then load the magazine and fit it. This all takes time in a heat of the moment situation and the intent is that hot heads will cool down a bit during this process. The other intent is if someone does get into your vehicle they cannot just grab the gun case and be ready to go. They might get the rifle but not the bolt or ammo, hence these must be separated in the vehicle.

It is all about what can be done with that firearm if it is just grabbed, is it ready to go or does someone need to rummage in vehicle to find bolt and ammo. AO told me the best way is gun in case, bolt in glove box and ammo in a separate bag. If you have any doubt at all about loaded mags etc just unload them, it only takes a moment. It's a bit like H&S, you need to take all practicable steps to secure the firearm from unauthorized use. If you had a firearm on back seat with loaded mag in the bag and bolt in the gun you haven't taken all practicable steps. If ammo is separate from mag which is separate from gun and bolt separate from gun and vehicle is locked you have taken all practicable steps.

The law does understand there are times like going to the toilet where the vehicle sits unattended. If you left vehicle unlocked you haven't taken all steps if it is locked you have. A quick stop for lunch with vehicle alarmed and in sight you are ok, if same vehicle is left while you go clubbing all night then probably not.

Just apply some common sense, think about what happens next if someone does get in your vehicle, follow the intent of the law and you will be fine.
    Gun control is using both hands

Bus driver
    Quote”I agrred with MSC guy that whether lawful or not, it was a dick move. “

....ahem.....did you agree with Said MSC before,..or....after ...the issuance of FAL???.........I’d bet it was before..wonder why
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Quote”I agrred with MSC guy that whether lawful or not, it was a dick move. “

....ahem.....did you agree with Said MSC before,..or....after ...the issuance of FAL???.........I’d bet it was before..wonder why
    Before and after. Anyone walking around in public urban space with a firearm openly visible is a dick. It’s likely to be bad for them as will draw public and police attention onto them, and it’s bad for all other firearm owners as we get tarred with same brush. Applies now. Applies before mosque.
    Different in rural space as there would likely be a reasonable reason to have uncovered firearm and I’d hope mostly people in countryside can recognise something dodgy over normal pest control and hunting

Even in rural areas still sensible to transport firearms covered. To look after them and to limit attention

northdude
    well ill put my hand up im a dick sometimes I walk to and from my car with a firearm at gun shops havnt had any probs yet there was police in the car park once as well didn't seem to alarmed about it

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    This has been tested in court here and the ruling was that if the magazine is not attached to the firearm the firearm is not loaded.
    It's a shame that this absurdity had to be tested in court. Fortunately, common sense prevailed, but I don't want to test it further.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    It's a shame that this absurdity had to be tested in court. Fortunately, common sense prevailed, but I don't want to test it further.
    The judge quite rightly said that the whole sentence had to be taken into consideration and it quite unequivocal said that the firearm was not to be loaded, and if the magazine was not attached then the firearm was not loaded.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The judge quite rightly said that the whole sentence had to be taken into consideration and it quite unequivocal said that the firearm was not to be loaded, and if the magazine was not attached then the firearm was not loaded.
    Sure, I get it, but will plod?
    shooternz likes this.

Bus driver
    Yeah...we’ve had that discussion

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Even in rural areas still sensible to transport firearms covered. To look after them and to limit attention

Bus driver
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    well ill put my hand up im a dick sometimes I walk to and from my car with a firearm at gun shops havnt had any probs yet there was police in the car park once as well didn't seem to alarmed about it
    Yeah mate agree.....we had a huge debate on this very forum concerning what this “so-called DICK” was trying to prove and do,I found it very enlightening,could someone refresh my memory,so as “others”may enlighten themselves......when you come later to the party its hard to keep up.!!!

For those of us who grew up in Kiwi with guns,there were practices ,that would now be considered abhorrent but normal in the day.I remember riding my motorbike from Porirua to wgtn (not rural)with a 303 slung over my shoulder to get my first scope put on,in a gun store up Cuba st,then ride it back home........it was never called a “dick-move”..it was......legal.....no one was alarmed,and if they were,they were the DICK!!.....
    gadgetman likes this.

northdude
    And thats why its so easy to controll the general population with these scare tactics people think if you probuce a firearm in public your automaticly going to comnit a crime where once it was normal everyday life see how our freedom has slowly but surley been taken away i wonder if the rifle and shooting clubs shouldnt get out and actively encourage the general public to come to open days where they can see people openly carrying firearms around even give them something for free say a brief talk explaining firearms and run through safety aspects without pushing any particular opinions just give them good information so they can make their own decissiion

....And do a mass assembly of tidy, taxes-paying FAL-holders with open-carry of cased, unloaded guns with trigger locks / plastic ties through the loading gates, on the Beehive front steps...

My wife agrees with Sightpicture.
    She does not understand why we have not marched on Parliament to demonstrate our numbers.
    She took her mum down last year for something they are passionate about.
    Z

I know in the late 1980's I would put my 22 in a soft case and bike from our house in Hamilton out to a local dairy farm to shoot rabbits and feathered pests eating crops on dairy farms. Now all covered in Houses.
    I do remember that once the subdivisions started on the boundary I did contact my local Arms officer and he was not too worried but just suggested i not shoot towards the houses.

I did the cancer demo. Those folks are rightly passionate. And they're way worse off than us. Doesn't mean we cannot use that tactic politely also.

I had a day hunting wairere where I ran into a couple hunters in the Bush so got the pip and bailed out at about 2. Was a nice day so the place was crawling with visitors. Could tell the locals as they didn't blink an eye but the foreigners kiwi or not looked a bit shell shocked. Even had one group pretty much run away.
    Didn't have a sling with me and was using the ar15. Can only imagine the hysteria if it was done now