Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: SAVAGE SAFETY WARING!

Ah Tussock, this thread isn't about warrantys, parts or dealers, it's about safety and checking your rifle! While trying to upload a video of the suspected problem to photobucket, i found the problem, not a worn trigger but an adjustment screw between the trigger and safety has moved (perhaps oil or solvent has worked it's way in?)

This is what i thought the problem was, you can see the shiny piece on the trigger:

This was the actual problem:

Even with the Accutrigger blade in place, a good hard pull on the trigger the rifle would fire. I will keep persevering with my video upload so you can see what i mean.

Interesting - might have to pull mine apart for a look, though I've put plenty of rounds through (thousands through the 22!) and never had any problems.

Be interested to hear if you find what loosened the screw - would you have adjusted it when you took the blade out of the accutrigger the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post

Be interested to hear if you find what loosened the screw - would you have adjusted it when you took the blade out of the accutrigger the first time?
    The screw was wet, like oil or solvent, no smell though. There is no "screw head" as such, just a threaded piece of bar, i have never touched it before tonight to be able to loosen it, this is the 4th savage rifle i have owned that i've removed the Accutrigger blade and never had a problem before a week ago.
    Last edited by SAVAGE; 13-03-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Vid is private

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

When it comes to triggers I'd only be letting the qualified guy look at it. They see hundreds of em and are more likely to spot undue wear.

I'd say the reason savage didnt seem too helpful is because you might have put them in a high risk situation. If they agree to help you and they fail to see any other 'mods' then they are still liable for anything that happens afterwards.

Trouble is - most of us like to tinker haha.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Trouble is - most of us like to tinker haha.
    Not me DIB. I buy a rifle and figure it to be good to go!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hmmm interesting, ive got a Stevens 200, an offshoot (no pun intended) of the Savage company.... haven't played around, and dont intend too, good job you found the 'culprit' Savage....big peace of mind!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Ejected
    The Stevens is dead easy to tweak the trigger on Scouser, and well worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Its not really a savage safety issue if you removed an integral safety feature of the trigger assembly.

Im not 100% sure what the issue is. You reckon its worn down over time, but its been fired 150 times since 2011?

The accutrigger is an integral part of the trigger. I think your problem is with your trigger mod. I have an original accutrigger, one of the first batch in my hand right now. Its been used and abused more than most rifles. Its functioning fine. Iv just done everything horrible I can think of to it and no malfunction.

What used to happen on the centerfires (that ones a rimfire) is that when you pulled the trigger without the accutrigger blade (by pressing obliquely on the trigger) the whole thing would lock up. My 6 ounce accutrigger could be given a firm thump on the but and it would lock up. Im not sure what would happen if you did this with the accutrigger removed, and the safety involved, but I doubt it would be pretty.

My guess is you had the safety on, gave it a whack or a bump that should have engaged the accutriggers mechanism, which I think is part of the safety, but it was not there to do its job, so then the safety was holding the firing pin back.

Either way, a whole lot of Savage bashing for a dodgy trigger, when you pulled out a very important part of that trigger. Getting a new trigger is really your issue, not the distributors. Even though I think the mark up on them is just a piss take, hes not really obliged to drop it for you if you broke your rifle messing round with it in the first place.

Title should read "Savage Safety Warning, Leave your accutrigger intact!"
    Your right about the mark up being a piss take, they are $750. CHEAP!!! Meant to be $885 USD.

Savage American Classic 7mm-08 | Trade Me
    Manufactured Commercial Small Arms 2010 USA Vs. Commercial Small Arms 2010 Imported to NZ
    ... 1,800,000.00 / 8,000.00 = 0.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    The Stevens is dead easy to tweak the trigger on Scouser, and well worth doing.
    Yeah Wirehunt, ive downloaded the web page to do it, have been thinking of having a 'play'......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan View Post
    Your right about the mark up being a piss take, they are $750. CHEAP!!! Meant to be $885 USD.

Savage American Classic 7mm-08 | Trade Me
    Thats by far the cheapest I've seen them to be fair (and the reason I got a Classic instead of a Lightweight ), I'm guessing to clear out excess stock as its only very limited calibers available at that price. Usually they'd be a lot more expensive - that $885 USD would be over 1k NZ before you even think about importing costs, shipping, overheads etc.

Sorry to jump on this bandwagon so late, but the original post (what you thought was wrong in the first place) is pretty much exactly what happened with my rifle. Not enough 'meat' on the sear. Luckily I found out in the safety of an environment with no rounds (cleaning and doing functions test) I swapped out the whole trigger with a new one, thanks to the crazy Wellington yank gunsmith.

Do your safety precautions and functions test with each strip and assemble
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Sorry to jump on this bandwagon so late, but the original post (what you thought was wrong in the first place) is pretty much exactly what happened with my rifle. Not enough 'meat' on the sear. Luckily I found out in the safety of an environment with no rounds (cleaning and doing functions test) I swapped out the whole trigger with a new one, thanks to the crazy Wellington yank gunsmith.

Do your safety precautions and functions test with each strip and assemble
    You stripping that rifle down already Dougie? It has only just been put together.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    You stripping that rifle down already Dougie? It has only just been put together.
    Strip and assemble as in...just the bolt taken out. Not much else this soldier can do I got the smith to sort out the rest.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.